• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Introducing us to more cultures?

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Could you post a link to the next movie's website? I don't know anything about it.

Well, I thought Altamar looked an awful lot like Venice Italy. The way all the streets were flooded, and they got around by gondola. It just reminded me of it.

Well... the Orange Islands (from the 2nd movie and anime) both seem a little like the carribean or any other group of exotic islands. But I think that was the point of that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    I thought the second movie had some Native American influences as well (with the costumes and totem pole). There was also a bit of medieval culture going on in the 8th movie (Lucario and the Mystery of Mew). Personally I think Pokemon has had may cultures being displayed in all it's merchandise since the start, but they're obviously Japanese or East Asian cultures that are primary shown, since Pokemin is Japanese for that matter. :\

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I... don't think there IS a website. The Japanese one was replaced for the Dialga VS Palkia one, and the US Official Pokémon site says almlst nothing on it.

Oh, I was getting "Temple of the Sea" and "Dialga VS Palkia" confused. But I still know almost nothing about either.

Yeah, I think Goku Goku is right about the 8th movie. Now that I look at the castle again it does sorta look like Neuschwanstein a little.

Years
    From Dogasu's website.

Regarding the Lucario movie:

Director Yuyama Kunihiko got inspiration for the setting of this movie, Oldoran Castle, by visiting a number of castles in Bavaria, Germany. Both Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof Palace were used as the models for this movie's setting.

And the Deoxys movie:

Like the fifth Pocket Monsters movie, Yuyama Kunihiko's inspiration for the setting of this movie was inspired by a recent trip. For this movie, the model for the high-tech LaRousse City came from recent trips to Vancouver, Canada and Las Vegas, California.

There you go.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    From Dogasu's website.

Regarding the Lucario movie:

Director Yuyama Kunihiko got inspiration for the setting of this movie, Oldoran Castle, by visiting a number of castles in Bavaria, Germany. Both Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof Palace were used as the models for this movie's setting.

And the Deoxys movie:

Like the fifth Pocket Monsters movie, Yuyama Kunihiko's inspiration for the setting of this movie was inspired by a recent trip. For this movie, the model for the high-tech LaRousse City came from recent trips to Vancouver, Canada and Las Vegas, California.

There you go.

Heh heh, I was right. And I actually spelled it right too. But that makes more sense. Um... this is a little off topic but isn't Las Vegas in Nevada?

Has anyone seen anything on where the D/P movie is going to be set in? I haven't seen much about it at all. I'm guessing it'll also be a new culture as well.

Years
    Heh heh, I was right. And I actually spelled it right too. But that makes more sense. Um... this is a little off topic but isn't Las Vegas in Nevada?

Hehe. Yeah, I wondered about that, too. Although, I think he meant Las Vegas and CA, but hey, I could be wrong. Heh.

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
    I actually find this an interesting topic, but I just want to mention that the Dogasu website is filled with several small errors. I'm pretty sure he meant Vancouver, not California (pretty broad if California is what the site meant). If you've ever been there, it's a pretty high tech city (doesn't compare to places like Shanghai or Hong Kong). Vancouver is also filled with Japanese tourists, so I'm guessing Kunihiko travelled there.

Tetsuya

.:A Guy Who Likes To Talk::.
    Years
    Could you post a link to the next movie's website? I don't know anything about it.

Well, I thought Altamar looked an awful lot like Venice Italy. The way all the streets were flooded, and they got around by gondola. It just reminded me of it.

Well... the Orange Islands (from the 2nd movie and anime) both seem a little like the carribean or any other group of exotic islands. But I think that was the point of that.
    Um... altamar was based on venice if u look on the special features on pokemon heroes you'll see something about venice lol so you're right altamar is based on venice but then again you didnt even say that ah well now you know.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    If you watch the DVDs, you can even see the scouting done in Venice for AltoMare. ^^

Yes, it was Vancouver. xD

Back