• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Irritating Pokemon Mispronunciations

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I honestly don't understand how people don't get the Kyogre thing. I have always pronounced it as kai-oh-gur.

Then again, I have always said Raquaza as ray-qway-za. Never understood where this supposed h sound comes from. (For some reason, when I typed that all I could imagine was some person with an English accent pronouncing it as ray-kwach-za. APOLOGIES TO ENGLISH PEOPLE EVERYWHERE)

Something that has annoyed me though, is when I hear someone pronounce Lucario as lu-SAR-e-oh, and that is quite often.

Not really an issue with pronunciation, but for some reason I can't stand it when people insist the plural of Pokemon is Pokemons. For some strange reason, that really bugs me.

But you know what I hate the most? When freaking Officer Jenny pronounces Growlithe (another thing that bugs me is in the pokerap when the say Growlith as growl-o-lite. I've always said it as growl-lithe and I can't imagine it being pronounced otherwise.) as Arcanine! Don't believe me? BELIEVE IT! (A part of the previous group of sentences was sarcasm, try to find out which one it is!)

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
    Years
  • I've been saying these for so long I could swear they're right... at least they sound it:

Ray-KWAH-zah
    Lu-KAH-ree-oh
    KYE-oh-grr
    SWEE-koon
    GROW-lith (with no 'e'; as in 'monolith')
    ra-TAH-ta (that could be so wrong, I have no idea)
    PID-jit (it's a pidgeon jet!)
    RYE-koo (although I guess that's wrong too)
    GAR-ra-dose (like in 'Gary')

I love how Poles pronounce Pikachu - pi-KAH-chu, with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable.

Also, everyone knows the plural of Pokemon is POKEMANZ, surely.

FlamingThunder

Years
  • I've been pronouncing this for so long, until I got used to what they say in the anime.

Gyarados- gai-ara-dos
    Rayquaza- rei-kwah-za
    Growlithe- graw-lite
    Kyogre- kiyo-gre
    Groudon- grew-don

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • When i was younger i pronounced ratata like "rata-tata" with an extra 'ta'. Now i say it like rata-tuh.
    I pronounce Kyogre like "Ki-oger" the 'i' as in 'eye'.
    Rayquaza - "Ray-Qwo-Zuh" the 'o' as in 'octagon'
    Groudon - "Grow-don" the "grow" as in 'growl'
    Arceus - "Ar-key-us" the "key" as in the word 'key'
    (these are just my ways of saying them, it doesn't mean these are the right ways)

I was always confused by whether the 'i' in Linoone is and 'i' as in 'eye' or and 'i' as in 'igloo'

There are a few others like Suicune and Xatu that i don't even attempt...

On another note, i personally respect how people say/pronounce things, it generally doesn't annoy me unless it is very incomprehensible.

Years
  • I've been recently hearing a few people say Caterpie as:

Cater: as in, I am going to cater to all your needs, Pie: well, obvious enough

At first I thought they were purposely butchering the name but I found out they were actually completely serious. I may be mostly new to embracing Pokemon but geez, that just bugged (hardy har har....) the heck out of me.

Aura.Lucario

The Rivers will run red....
    Years
  • how do you pronounce Regigigas anyway? That bothered me.

is 'gi' pronounced 'gee' or 'Gie' or what?!

my friend wanted to play with his name and came up with this:

"Reg-gee-gie-gas"'

and seriously...Lusario? it's a C in there not a S, i don't know why would people call Lucario Lu-SAH-Rio...

It isn't too hard to pronounce...right?

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2013
    When I was a kid I couldn't pronounce "Rattata" right, I always called it Rata-tat. :3 I still do, I can't help it though. XP It stuck.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I kinda Know People who pronounce pokemon names like this

Rayquaza= Rai-Quah-Zah
    Kyogre= Ky-Og-reh
    Bonsly= Bons-Lee
    Deoxys= Die-Ox-sis
    Arceus= Ar-See-Yous
    Sceptile= Skep-tile
    Gyarados= Gah-ry-dose

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • how do you pronounce Regigigas anyway? That bothered me.

I think the first part is Rej with a j sound then added on the "gigas" like Giga Drain.

Anyway, I always went by the pronunciations that was used in the Pokemon anime and from Pokemon Stadium... when there were only two Generations, so I guess that doesn't help.

My older sister says "pick" in the first syllable of Pikachu.
    And are there really people who still say "pid-jit?" :l

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Cilan should be pronounced "Sih-lahn", accent on the second syllable, as in "cilantro".

On another note, Alex Day:
    "And how the hell do you pronounce Suicune?
    Soo-ih-sign, Swee-sign, Soo-ih-soon, I don't know."

I got so annoyed when Cilan came out as "SY-lon" instead of "Sih-LAHN". I haven't even heard cilantro pronounced in person before, and already I was tugging toward "Sih-LAHN" in the spoken word. But now it's ruined, and we have to listen to that mess pronounced incorrectly ALL SEASON LONG. T_T

Suicine - "Sense-Sine"

I have no idea how someone could mess that up that badly.

Me either. #_# :cer_laugh:

Then again, I have always said Raquaza as ray-qway-za. Never understood where this supposed h sound comes from. (For some reason, when I typed that all I could imagine was some person with an English accent pronouncing it as ray-kwach-za. APOLOGIES TO ENGLISH PEOPLE EVERYWHERE)

Something that has annoyed me though, is when I hear someone pronounce Lucario as lu-SAR-e-oh, and that is quite often.

The Rayquaza "QWAH" deal is probably from the word looking similar to the common world PLAH-za. That, and the word quasar ("QUAY-zar) is not commonly used in pronunciation. And the 'Qu' by itself is typically pronounced as "Kwuh" from my experience, and "ah" and "uh" sound a bit similar... Finally, I think many Spanish words with the suffix "-aza" are pronounced "AH-zaa", so yeah...

Who the heck pronounces Lucario as "lu-SAR-ee-oh"? That is just weird. I've never seen "Ca(i)" start with an "S" sound... And if fans saw the original Japanese rendering Rukario prior to DP's release, heard the announcer of Pokemon The Movie: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, or heard the Brawl announcer say "LUCARIO!", you'd think the "K" sound would be widespread by now... >_> I mean, Lucario even has the word CAR ("Kar") in it!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Recently, I've always mistakenly pronounced Hydreigon as Hydregion... and although I can spell the critter's name now, I have no idea how to pronounce it still. At least it's a step in the right direction...?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    Anyone remember how in Pokemon Stadium Ekans was pronounced Eek-ans? I always thought that was funny, even when I was little.

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
  • Recently, I've always mistakenly pronounced Hydreigon as Hydregion... and although I can spell the critter's name now, I have no idea how to pronounce it still. At least it's a step in the right direction...?

I think it's pronounced high-dry-gon, drei being German for three.

I've been pronouncing it pick-a-chew for years, is it sorta a Japanese thing where the stress is equal on the syllables?

I thought it was pronounced ky-og-ruh...

Back