• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is 10 too young to embark on a Pokemon journey?

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • I think about this a lot. And maybe it's because I'm trying to write a fanfiction and as am feeling conflicted about sending my OC on her journey as a ten year old. But I feel weird about making her older as well, since it's always been 10 when new trainers start their journey. Anyway.

Sometimes I feel the protagonists in the game are older than 10 at the start of their journey. I feel like their friends'/rivals' dialogue is more advanced than what a 10 year old would say, and I feel that many of their designs look as though they would be older than 10. Anyone else feel this way? Is ten actually a realistic and reasonable age to send a child out into the wilderness with their Pokemon? Do the protagonists and their peers seem like they're actually 10 to you, or do they seem older?

Maybe I just feel this way because I'm not 10 anymore. lol

Years
  • In my opinion the age for an american is too young. Actually most modern countries this age is way too young. However this world seems quite primitive if you consider it all (they don't need to modernize too much here) so back when our countries were young 10 year olds did a lot more than they do now.So I guess it is all perspective.

dannidarko

Danni Darko
    Years
  • Haha I feel the same way as well! It's generally easier to relate to a protagonist when they are the same age group as you. I think 17 years ago game freak thought they would aim for the younger age group as the theme seemed to suit it that way. It's funny now coz most the pokemon gamers now are those who have played the game back then and have just grown up!! lol.

Having said that I would love for the main character to be a bit older. Writing fan-fiction about an older protagonist would be a great idea too!! I would certainly read it! lol

Years
  • I feel the same! I know when I was 10, I wouldn't have the courage to go out, by myself, and travel to various Towns and Cities. Now 16, I probably still wouldn't lol.

Like you said BubbleBeams, the protagonists in the game series (and to an extent, the anime), seem to act older than what they are. I'm just jealous that the protagonists get to train Pokemon rather than go to school (although school is invaluable, don't get me wrong)

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Oh god, there's so many things messed up when it comes to the whole 10 year old thing.

To me a Pokemon trainer is pretty much a fancy title for a homeless hitch hiker. Drifting around, participating in glorified dog fights with other trainers for money. It always confused me how a 10 year old would be a master of basic survival skills and have the ability to ruck march from town to town. They have to be at least carrying 30lbs worth of equipment (might not sound like alot, but it takes it's toll after about 5 miles). That load out is hard for a lot of grown men to carry, let alone a 10 year old. And now I don't feel like writing anymore, so I'm going to leave this post unfinished.

Years
  • if you think about it though, in ancient civilizations, children younger than ten would embark on dangerous "quests" and "adventures". it depends on how you look at it. from our perspective, yes, 10 is very young. but on the other hand, ancient civilizations would find this quiet normal

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I'm inclined to agree with everyone else: ten years old is Waaaaaay too young. when I was ten I wouldn't even think about embarking on my very own adventure :P

They have to be at least carrying 30lbs worth of equipment (might not sound like alot, but it takes it's toll after about 5 miles). That load out is hard for a lot of grown men to carry, let alone a 10 year old.

Not if you have a super cool Machamp to carry it for you, it isn't :P

On a serious note though, I don't think it adds up really. I know ten year olds now know more about things they shouldn't than I did back then, but I would see them as just not being prepared for something as monumental as travelling the entire world with a small set of companions that are capable of setting cities to ruin if they want. How on earth does a ten year old know how to look after Pokemon that all more than likely have different needs and dietary restrictions?!

Aside from all that, if Japanese draw their characters to look younger, then that means that our game protagonists could easily be twenty-somethings really. I like to think of them as being 17-20 years old though. That way it's more maniacal when you annihilate school kids and take all their money :P

And speaking of school kids: If the protagonist is 17 years old, then those kids must be like 7 or 8. And how exactly does a child of that age forego all educational and social obligations to become a gym trainer?

Anyway, I'm rambling now...

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2013
    In this modern times and era, yes, 10 years old is too young to embark on a journey. Most people that age still have to learn a lot of things. Furthermore, going on a journey means they need to be independent, and a lot of 10 years old are still dependent on their family. Even though they have Pokémon, they might still encounter several problems, especially with the wild ones. They might even have trouble on several terrains, such as desert or dark caves. Well, I think it will be better for the characters to be older, maybe at least 15 years old.....

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    From our perspective, realistically, yes, 10 years is way too young for somebody to embark on their own journey without any guidance or a guardian to follow them.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I think 10 years old is far too young to set off on an independent Adventure (Unless they're accompanied by their Mom), especially if they're going down caves or forests. I feel that they should really learn to gain independence after the 11th grade. At least this is the fictional world so I can accept that.

Years
  • Our world and the Pokemon world are completely different scenarios, but when an entire crime syndicate can be single-handedly taken down by a ten-year old, then there's not too much to worry about over there. With no real threat to a child's danger that can't be solved through Pokemon battles, I wouldn't worry about my kid too much, as long as they were level headed. With that being said though, I think going on a journey closer to 13 would be much more ideal than 10. At least that way, they'd have a few more years of education under their belt, and a better grasp of the real world than they did 3 years prior.

Here though, I'd argue that anyone under 16 shouldn't be allowed to go on a journey without adult supervision. Sure, some areas might not run into the same troubles as others, but with so many potential threats out there, I'd hope it would be much more restricted in being able to go off on a journey. That doesn't mean that kids can't start training Pokemon from a younger age like 10, but if you limit earning Gym badges, entering contests, etc. to a certain age, it would be an earned responsibility, much like getting a job or a driver's license.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'll say this first: don't try to connect our world to the Pokemon world. Aside from the similarities in the region's physiological appearance, the Pokemon world is a very different world.

If ever a 10-year old kid from the Pokemon world stopped a full-fledged Pokemon world organization's attempts to "take over the world," then it's more likely a problem within the organization. Perhaps its constituents were really dumb up to the point that they forgot how to use their own fists against someone about five times weaker than them.

Think about it, have you ever seen physical human violence in the canons? I don't think so. The Pokemon world is all about a glorified dog battle between Pokemon. Apparently, there is a mystical force that makes people forget about harmful physical human contact. It all makes sense.

Sean.

Sean Littlejohn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2013
    Ten is too young to enjoy the things I do in my luxury time that involve poles and various lubricants, but not too young for Pokemon.
    Uh HUH.

Years
  • Think about it, have you ever seen physical human violence in the canons? I don't think so. The Pokemon world is all about a glorified dog battle between Pokemon. Apparently, there is a mystical force that makes people forget about harmful physical human contact. It all makes sense.

I always thought this was because Pokemon are way stronger than humans. If someone tried to punch a trainer or something, their pokemon will defend them and probably outright destroy the attacker :|

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Well, maybe when Pokemon first came out, 10 wasn't too bad of an age to start...I used to go off on my own all the time at that age; fishing in the local rivers, catching local bugs, paying back my loan to Tom Nook...OK, maybe not the third, but my point is that when I was a lad, the world was a much safer place, at least rurally speaking. Everyone looked out for everyone else. You could go from place to place without worrying about being kidnapped, or any of this other stuff that goes on in the world today. It wasn't exactly safe, but it was safer.

Plus, going off on a journey like that no doubt builds character, as well...ten years old is that wonderful age between the teenage rebel phase and the child rebel phase; it's a good time to get a kid out of the house and off getting some life experience. It can't be anything but good for them. Learn to stand on your own two feet, etc etc.

...OK, maybe I'm just naive and have rosy memories of my childhood; who doesn't? But I know if I had a ten-year old kid, I most definitely would not let them wander the land unsupervised, with or without an animal that could shoot fire/water/electricity/destructive rainbow coloured energy from its mouth or incapacitate anything that moved with toxic/stunning/sleep-inducing spores, or whatever else. Most ten year olds aren't particularly mature...or responsible...or have even the slightest ounce of common sense...or much else that they'd need to go backpacking across continents with nothing but the clothes on their back and a high-tech nature encyclopedia. So maybe not. As tempting as I imagine it would be for some stressed parents to let their kids go off on an adventure. Anything for five minutes' peace.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Logically speaking 10 years old is an incredibly young age and one shouldn't send their children packing at that time.

Let's think about it even harder. Say a 10 year old Trainer was born and raised in, let's say... Vermilion city. If trainer's are all the same, he would of been given a level 5 Pokémon which as soon as he stepped out of the town; he would probably get owned by level 12 Meowths. So saying that a Pokémon can protect a 10 year old at all times, isn't very accurate. Another Pokémon in that scenario could easily do away with the kid's Pokémon and then thrash the kid.

Years
  • ive always thought ten was way too young. and where does it say in the games or manuals that its ten years old? I cant remember ever seeing it, and it doesn't make much sense. like, cheren is a respected (if new) gym leader in black and white 2. would a 12 year old make a good gym leader? I don't see that happening. I know its a different world, but it doesn't seem realistic when you look at the characters. As far as I remember (correct me if im wrong) it was the anime (possibly managa) that made up the 10 years old bench mark.

furthermore, what do people do in pokemon? travel with friends, exploring the world, camping out and staying in pokemon centers. what do people do at ~18, when they finish high school? often they go out, travel the world with friends, camp and stay at hostels. it just makes more sense and I think it adds a lot to the story (not only because ~18 year olds are stronger physically, have more experience, know basic skills and knowledge, and have better relationships with people they meet and each other.) it adds something, I think.

Years
  • Maybe children are just expected to be able to do things by themselves at an early age in the Pokemon world...however, I don't think kids should be taking down major crime organizations :P

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • A lot of you bring up some very good points about how 10 seems young in our culture, but would be acceptable in other cultures.

The Pokemon world that we know though is definitely modern, and I think a lot more dangerous. Because say a child is leaving their hometown with the typical level 5 Pokemon. That Pokemon is also very young and may not be able to protect the child from wild Pokemon or human threats (i.e. Crime organizations, Pokemon poachers, etc...). When the Pokemon is still young and untrained themselves, I don't think I would be comfortable.

I also agree that if the gym leaders are still young teens themselves (like Misty, Cheren, etc...) I don't think that they would be as respected as they are. They probably wouldn't even be gym leaders. Let alone having a 10-11 year old regional champion.

Personally I think that like 14+ would be acceptable to allow a kid to start traveling. I don't think that teens are stupid by any means, and they would know and understand a lot more than when they were ten. Like maybe kids would to go school up until that age and at that point can either choose to continue their schooling or decide to work toward other goals (training, breeding, or other occupations within the Pokemon world). Kind of like how we are allowed to drop out of school at a certain age (well, in America anyway).

I guess maybe because I'm older I like to project an older age on the protagonists of the games so I can still relate and insert myself into their world. ^_^

Back