• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Arcanine a legendary pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Arcanine is a legend:

1.) Cannot be found in the wild

2.) Super-high stats

3.) And most importantly, described in legends

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Glaceon has super high stats. So does the following pokemon:

· Rapidash
    · Espeon
    · Alakazam
    · Metagross
    · Salamence
    · Leafeon
    · Tyranitar
    · Yanmega
    · Electivire
    · Magmortar
    · etc

According to your logic, these must be legends too lol, cause obviously they're super strong and cannot be found in the wild.

And that last comment? Someone takes pokedex entries very seriously lol. Also, did you notice that every legendary possible had their own movie? Why isn't one dedicated to Arcanine, I wonder?

Oh, right. It isn't a legendary.
    The stats isn't the final indicator. He also cannot be found in the wild and is described in legends, while those are not.

Oh, and Ho-Oh hasn't had a movie of its own. How about that?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Arcanine is a legend:

1.) Cannot be found in the wild

2.) Super-high stats

3.) And most importantly, described in legends
    1.) It cannot be found in the wild because it evolves from another Pokemon. Legendary Pokemon do not have an evolutionary chain.

2.) 555 is hardly super-high.

3.) There are two definitions of legendary. There is the "legendary" definition straight out of the dictionary (one that is described in legends), and Pokemon's own little definition of legendary (including the criteria to meet the requirements for being an official legendary Pokemon with the list of the 35 official legends). Yes, Arcanine is legendary because it is described in legends, but I'm pretty sure the main topic of this thread is to determine if Arcanine fits into Pokemon's definition of legendary (which would be a flat, no).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016

1.) It cannot be found in the wild because it evolves from another Pokemon. Legendary Pokemon do not have an evolutionary chain.

2.) 555 is hardly super-high.

3.) There are two definitions of legendary. There is the "legendary" definition straight out of the dictionary (one that is described in legends), and Pokemon's own little definition of legendary (including the criteria to meet the requirements for being an official legendary Pokemon with the list of the 35 official legends). Yes, Arcanine is legendary because it is described in legends, but I'm pretty sure the main topic of this thread is to determine if Arcanine fits into Pokemon's definition of legendary (which would be a flat, no).
    The term "legendary" was applied by the fandom. It can be as general or restricting as we want it to be... The Japanese version have three different types of the American "legendary", which includes many Pokemon.

One pokedex entry states that if you piss off a tyranitar, it goes on an endless rampage, tearing down moutains. Or at least it's said to.

Yeah, it's totally a legendary. No one ever saw it do this; it was just described.

Ho-oh is actually going to be featured in the upcoming 13th movie lol, someone obviously hasn't heard.
    That entry doesn't state it's legendary. Tearing down mountains is cool, but not legendary.

I have heard, and that's retarded. There's a big different between a "cameo" and being "featured".

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Then what makes Arcanine so special? Being mentioned in legend is cool, too.

Still doesn't make it a legendary.

The movie circulates around Lugia battling ho-oh. I doubt a fight like that is going to show for only five seconds. :[
    Arcanine isn't special. But he's the focus of legends, as is the great Slowpoke, so he should be honoured.

Deoxys and Rayquaza battled in the Deoxys movie, but Rayquaza was merely there as a cameo. He was not the focus of the movie.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Wait slowpoke is a legendary now? what is this i dont even...

I hope you know, cameos happen to be quite brief.

Rayquaza and Deoxys battle = like more than half the movie.
    Yes, Slowpoke has been legendary since Gold and Silver... Unless you never played the games?

Well I only saw 10 minutes of that movie, so meh.

The Red Chain

The only thing that even makes Arcanine come close to being legendary is it's power.
    So then why do you say it is legendary if power 'does not equal legendary status'? ]:

Uhh. Read my posts... Legendary-focus = Legendary-status.

Arcanine has legendary focus?
    Now I've seen everything.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    Wow, thanks guys! This much post will help my friends understand. But, they still stick to what they say about Arcanine.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • It's funny how you can just take a fire stone and evolve your common Growlithe.. it's not legendary. I think that when they made him in the anime they thought about putting it as a legend but after that they didn't PROOF:In the Pokedex entries, only Gen I-II has him as legendary.

But you have to be a good trainer to have an Arcanine(Anime fact) that's why not many peoples have him and as a matter of fact putting him as rare.

ShadowDragon~

Dragon King Extra Ordinaire
    Years
  • Alright fine, ill just catch six growlithes and get an all legendary team in fire red/leaf green (forgot which one has vulpix) before the fourth badge?

Sure...

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    Gah. It is classified amongst Legends ; just because the ancient being and PokeDex entries say such things doesn't make him a Legendary, he is a Legend but does not come under the Legendary Specie of Pokemon ; If he's a legend, cool then, i may also catch lot's of Growlithe buy Fire Stone's and make him evolve into Arcanine, and Ta da! i've got so many Legendaries, All those who think that Arcanine is a Legendary they are Weirdo's~ Enough said. Period.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • The term "legendary" was applied by the fandom. It can be as general or restricting as we want it to be... The Japanese version have three different types of the American "legendary", which includes many Pokemon.
    I think you know what term of legendary that this thread is referring to. :/
    Articuno
    Zapdos
    Moltres
    Mew
    Mewtwo
    Entei
    Raikou
    Suicune
    Lugia
    Ho-oh
    Celebi
    Regirock
    Regice
    Registeel
    Latias
    Latios
    Kyogre
    Groudon
    Rayquaza
    Jirachi
    Deoxys
    Uxie
    Mesprit
    Azelf
    Cresselia
    Darkrai
    Manaphy
    Phione
    Regigigas
    Heatran
    Shaymin
    Arceus

They are included in the official legendary Pokemon. I think we can agree on that.

Arcanine is a Pokemon of myth.

Fishyman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • No.
    • Seen Sep 26, 2009
    Gah. It is classified amongst Legends ; just because the ancient being and PokeDex entries say such things doesn't make him a Legendary, he is a Legend but does not come under the Legendary Specie of Pokemon ; If he's a legend, cool then, i may also catch lot's of Growlithe buy Fire Stone's and make him evolve into Arcanine, and Ta da! i've got so many Legendaries, All those who think that Arcanine is a Legendary they are Weirdo's~ Enough said. Period.
    Shut up, Toto, you know you agree with me.

Arcanine is a Pokemon of myth.
    Myths aren't real, and Arcanine is a catchable Pokemon, so it technically cannot be a myth.

Oh hey, double posts automatically merge. Ain't that nifty?

Last edited:

Riggzyd

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2013
    Pretty sure he is cause on the 2nd episode
    Ash comes tot the Poke center of Viridian City in Kanto you see in the background before Oak calling Ash you will see the ORIGINAL 4 legendary Pokemon
    MOLTRES ARTICUNO Ho-Oh i think then ARCANINE
    Arcanine wth? i guess he is a legend

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Bulbapedia said:
    Because of its high stats, its species, and the fact that it was illustrated in an ancient slab along with the legendary birds in the second episode, it could be theorized that Arcanine was originally planned to be part of the legendary trio in first generation games; possibly even the birds' trio master.
    ^ Arcanine was originally planned to be a legendary, but Game Freak decided not to apparently. They then just gave it the legendary species (and that would then give thousands of people ideas lol).
    Bulbapedia said:
    Because of how brief and uninformative the description of a Pokémon often is in its species, and how little the species relates to other data, it is not often regarded as an important piece of information about a Pokémon.
    Yeah, I am using Bulbapedia, but all this is true.

And, no where in the anime, manga, etc does it state that he is a legendary. Iirc, Pokemon.com had a discussion for this, but they considered not a legendary Pokemon. Oh, and lets not forget Arcanine's Pokedex number is no where legendary group (at the end of the gen. one Pokedex). Arcanine can evolve, there is NO legendary that can evolve. :|

Edit: I think I already posted...

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    I'm starting to understand. But, my friends kept on saying: "Your species is human. So, that makes you human. Arcanine species is legendary which make him legendary pokemon." Every pokemon is classified in some way. Doesn't make Arcanine any different.

Tbird

Don
    Years
  • I reckon he was planned to be used as a legendary as already speculated, however due to the abundant use of the pokemon growlithe in amongst the police people and other trainers they couldn't use him in that way. 1) because it would be too much of a regular occurance to see an Arcanine, the legendaries are supost to be one off pokemon. 2) it Evolves (well growlithe does).

But I can see why you could be misleaded into thinking it was a legendary, I too have thought about it alot before.

And don't forget legendary can mean so many different things in different contexts.

Back