• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is English your native language?

Is English your native language?

• Total voters

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Tagalog is my native language.

But now, I can't say a word in Tagalog without sounding like a foreigner. I can still understand the language, though.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    yea its my native. I'm proud because English is the most known and hardest language to learn. I want to learn Japanese

:t354:tatsujin gosuto

How can you say English is the hardest language when there's Japanese (with around 80 letters in hiragana, katakana, and millions in kanji) or even among the latin-alphabet-languages, there's french with all the ending things (like -ais, -ait) and with many words sounding the same. You can't even distinguish in most cases plural and singular except for the articles. I know because I've studied French since first grade and it's not something I am super good at even now.

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    I was brought up in the US, so yeah, English is my native language. Around the house, my mother uses some creole variation of Portuguese, and to understand her, I was kinda forced into learning how to speak it.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    Mon langue naturellement? Il est français! Lol j/k... It's English... I know a bit of French though, as I took an extra year of it... but thats it. xP

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Yep, English is my native language. Though I do know a bit of Arabic because that's my Dad's native language. I heard from a few family friends and from my dad that learning a new language can be difficult when you start learning later in life.

Years
    How can you say English is the hardest language when there's Japanese (with around 80 letters in hiragana, katakana, and millions in kanji) or even among the latin-alphabet-languages, there's french with all the ending things (like -ais, -ait) and with many words sounding the same. You can't even distinguish in most cases plural and singular except for the articles. I know because I've studied French since first grade and it's not something I am super good at even now.

That's what experts say. I do know one reason they consider it so hard though.

English has strange pronunciation which throws off a lot of people. The way we pronounce some things confuses people who try to learn it, since most other languages are very set in how letters are pronounced. For instance, there's two ways to pronounce "arithmetic", depending on how it's used, yet it's spelled the same both times. (I'm not kidding, I learned this in Math this year.) And how about to, too, and two, the three words that sound the same? Why do three separate spellings all sound the same?

There might be grammatical things as well, but if they are, I can't remember them. I wouldn't be surprised though, really.

In that case, I'm glad my first language is English, because I'd probably go crazy trying to learn the strange rules we have. At least in German, I know how everything is pronounced.

Emma

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    English is my native language, I'm not fluent in any other languages. But I really enjoy learning Spanish, earlier this year I really didn't like it, but for some reason my opinion on it has changed and I'm continuing it next year instead of French. I would like to learn some Japanese though in the future.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    I'm a native English speaker but I took a semester in Spanish and I know almost 1/5 of Japanese.
    Nihongo ga dekimasu. Daisuki desu.
    I also know like 200 kanji, and regularly watch raw Pokemon/Lucky Star so I'm pretty good on it for someone whose never taken a class.
    Watashi no gakkou de nihongo no kurasu denai.
    (There's no Japanese classes at my school.... dunno if that sentence is correct)
    Mai nichi wa Pokesho ni ikimasu node, benkyou shiranakereba narimasen.
    (because I go to Pokesho every day, I must study)
    *all of the above was done with no translator

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    I'm a native Japanese speaker as well, and I speak/write it at home. Heck, I was born there.
    But living in Hong Kong, I'm quite accustomed to talking/writing in English as well.

ていうかPCっていつの間にか日本語で書いても文字化けしない仕様になり ましたね。

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    English was my first language. My mom speaks fluent Spanish, but she didn't think I needed to learn it seeing as how I was born and raised in America. Throughout the years, I've picked up a fair bit of Spanish from my friends and family. The fact that I've studied Latin makes it a bit easier for me to comprehend Spanish, and I'm learning a bit more day by day.

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years
    Yes, ofcourse English is my native language, being as I am English, and I am glad to be English too. I am goling to try and learn Japanese at college somehow though.

And Nayana, there is three different spellings for that word, because each of them means something different. The first being used as in "To go to a place" the second is plural to the last. Like "I want to go too" and ofcourse, the third is a number. But yes, they all sound the same, but ofcourse you knew all this. It is odd to think about, and I am glad English is my first language, being as the only other language I'm really interested in is Japanese.

Last edited:

Vanilla Kitsune

Bloody git
    Years
    No, my native language is actually Italian. We speak English in my household though, because my parents prefer it that way. I was born in America too. I speak Italtian to some of my friends or when I wanna yell at people and insult them. ;P

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    No, Tagalog is a Filipino Language from Philippines
    Coming here to PC help me improve some of my Grammars
    But I'm interested in learning Japanese so I can actually read some japanese fan sites of my favorite animes XD

I remember when we posted together in tha tPokeAmulets RP and your English used to be appauling. But now It's amazing RazoREdge!

Believe it or not, English is not my first language. My first language was Mandarin, but my Mum reckons that I shouldn't be able to say that now, as I've been speaking English since I was 6-7 living here. I still say English is my second language, but meh...

NO WAY! You speak English so perfectly! I never would of guessd. x_x

That's what experts say. I do know one reason they consider it so hard though.

English has strange pronunciation which throws off a lot of people. The way we pronounce some things confuses people who try to learn it, since most other languages are very set in how letters are pronounced. For instance, there's two ways to pronounce "arithmetic", depending on how it's used, yet it's spelled the same both times. (I'm not kidding, I learned this in Math this year.) And how about to, too, and two, the three words that sound the same? Why do three separate spellings all sound the same?

There might be grammatical things as well, but if they are, I can't remember them. I wouldn't be surprised though, really.

In that case, I'm glad my first language is English, because I'd probably go crazy trying to learn the strange rules we have. At least in German, I know how everything is pronounced.

It's the same in the case with There, Their and They're, all sound the same (With the exception of They're, depending on accent) yet mean completley differant things.

I've always wanted to lear Spanish but they wouldn't let me take it at school, along with the other options I wanted so I scraped that. I, like many people, wish to learn Japanese, but it's just too complecated. I may try to learn fluent French as I already have a pretty good understanding of it from 3 years at School.

Years
    No, English is not my native language. That would be Dutch. I just learned English everywhere around me, a lot is in English. The study books I use in college now are in English as well. The English classes I got in school played only a minor part in me getting to learn English.

mvtm

Years
    Spanish is my native..but i can speak english very fluently ...i learned to speak english as soon as i did with spanish. Since my school..which nowadays i am very thankfull for.

Back