• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is it Cheating?

Gold Tom

Krazier Than You
    Years
    I was wondering this when my friend used his AR to replicate one of his old G/S Pokemon.

Is it really cheating if you are just recreating a Pokemon that you put many hours into on Gold, just to have your work voided with the likes of Ruby and Sapphire, he justifies it by saying almost exactly that.

I personally am conflicted, because, whilst I know he was a fanatical Gold player who cried when his internal battery died, other people may not appreciate the work he put into traning up that Blastoise. But on the other hand, he was cheating. One side note he did try to train one similar in FireRed, actually went as far as planning which battles to do before whipping out the Blastoise, it was never the same because of changes in movesets, and the internal battery dieing again.

What are your thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    i wouldnt think that as cheating, your basically using AR to back up a old pokemon.

still i dont think it is allowed here, but i have no opposition against it

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Its cheating. The use of an external device is deemed hacking. By creating every aspect yourself you can create a pokemon with perfect IVs, more EVs tan should be allowed, and so on. Even if he only wants to recreate a poke, its better if he just re-raises one of whatever it is. I'm sure you could introduce him to this site, where he could arrange a trade in the trade forum.

SilverLightning

The Lightning Beast.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2008
    Actually, since he's hacking the EXACT same stats, because he lost his pokemon by accident with those stats, I wouldnt care because he's just bringing what's his back but by using AR. It would count as cheating if he cloned the pokemon because he had only 1 blastoise but now he has 2.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Actually, since he's hacking the EXACT same stats, because he lost his pokemon by accident with those stats, I wouldnt care because he's just bringing what's his back but by using AR. It would count as cheating if he cloned the pokemon because he had only 1 blastoise but now he has 2.

As the original poster said, the internal battery of his game has gone, meaning he doesnt have the save file to check. Movesets are memorable, but I doubt he'd remembered or written down the exact stats. That means he has to put his own in, giving him a distinct advantage should he ever use it online.

Drakorn

[b][color=red]Skarmory is love[/color][/b]
    Years
    It is still cheating, it doesn't matter about the game, it's the external device that counts. I mean, the AR is an external device that hacks into your game and enables that specific data. So yes it is still cheating.

Patchy

-
    Years
    I think it's cheating. He isn't the only one who lost Pokemon after Gold, Silver and Crystal. If we all did that we'd all have Celebis. We've all had to re-train our Pokemon, why shouldn't HE have to?

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    It is cheating but I have no opposition against it. He is only trying to bring back a pokemon he lost and (maybe) liked a lot. I would probably do the same unless I can catch it and retrain it.

EDIT: I also have made my 100th post. Whoop!

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
    I don't know if recreating that Blastoise would be helpful to him anyway. With the addition of natures in R/S he could probably come up with a better Blastoise if he tried.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    The thing is, GSC Pokemon are completely incompatable with RSE. What Nature would it be? What ability would it have? What are its EVs? It would be impossible to know, since those didn't exist back then (EVs did, but they were completely different). As such, he would have to pick something, and from there, it's different from its GSC counterpart. Therefore, it's an original Pokemon- and therefore, it's hacked.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    I don't know if recreating that Blastoise would be helpful to him anyway. With the addition of natures in R/S he could probably come up with a better Blastoise if he tried.

Blastoise was not specified to be the pokemon being recreated.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
    I see why you may think this is not cheating. However simply. It is. If you have to use any external device to obtain anything (hacking) it is cheating.

carter756978

Bass Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2013
    I wouldn't care as long as you don't make it any stronger than it was. I never had to bother with "oh no i've lost my pokes" when r/s came out because i was 5 when playing silver so all i needed was all the legendarys and all the 6 starters at level 100.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    Technically it's cheating. However, I myself do stuff like that to back up some old Pokemon. I really wouldn't care if you did that, if it were the same stats, and other information.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I would have considered it cheating awhile ago, but now I'm fine with it. As long as you don't hack the Pokemon so that it is something impossible to get by normal means, it'll be okay in my book.

And btw, the IV-EV system in RBY/GSC is a little different that in RSE/DPP. I'm not sure how different, just that it is.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    And btw, the IV-EV system in RBY/GSC is a little different that in RSE/DPP. I'm not sure how different, just that it is.

More than just a little different. In GSC, there was no limit to the EVs that a Pokemon could gain- besides the obvious limit of 999 stat points. It was only in RSE that the cap of 510 was introduced to EVs. IVs were different as well- if a Pokemon had an IV of 5 in all its stats, it was shiny. Obviously, that's not so in DP. There were a few other changes, I'm sure, but I can't really remember them all.

Voltagenic

got djent?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2011
    I don't see why you're bashing the guy. I have no opposition against it, though it is defined as cheating.

To thread creator: I can breed a Squirtle for him to train up, or give him my Blastoise.

skyterra

In Olivine city
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2008
    As the original poster said, the internal battery of his game has gone, meaning he doesnt have the save file to check. Movesets are memorable, but I doubt he'd remembered or written down the exact stats. That means he has to put his own in, giving him a distinct advantage should he ever use it online.

You realize the guy was talking about his friends Gold game right?

Plus, I'm willing to bet that most people who use stuff like AR don't change the stats.

I know I haven't.

Back