• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is it just me, or did everyone used to name their character "ASH"?

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
  • Same, only used "ASH" for yellow...

But since my name is "Ashley" I named my character "Ash" once we were able to choose gender. Otherwise, Red was always Red.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • lolol

I was 'Ash' in Red, Blue, Yellow, and wouldn't put it past me to have done the same in Crystal. XD; Also, I think I might've named my Yellow player 'Satoshi', and my rival was 'Shigeru', because it was rather sugoi desu to use their Japanese names when I was 12.

Saitou

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    I only used the name 'Ash' for Yellow, for well, obvious reasons. The player's name was irrelevant to me to be honest, so I just put my name or something when I start a new game in any version.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    I always name the character the name of the game, i.e.: Red on Red, Emerald on Emerald, if it's too big(i.e.: Platinum) I use something to symbolize it, and in remakes, I use the different part of the name

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I think the only time I did this was playing Blue version, and that was because the anime was massively in the cultural zeitgeist at the time so it would have felt weird NOT naming the character Ash. By the time Gen II came around, however, I'd lost interest (with the rest of my peers) in the anime, so felt liberated to call the protagonist whatever I wanted to. This has continued forever more!

Years
  • I typically just give my characters random names. The most coherent they get is that when I'm doing a monotype challenge, I name my character something that resembles his or her type (e.g. "Wanda" for Water or "Arthur" for Bug).

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2012
    I started on Blue, and Red.

My characters name is "*****", with his rival being "Wet Back".
    And My Squirtles name is "Chief"

Shijo

Scientist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2013
    actually i always named my character Reyko, then changed to Shijo in gold and silver

Years
  • I named myself Ash in the Red and Gold, but from then onwards I used my online nicknames. :)

I didn't know about the manga back then either, so I was confused as to why they wanted you to name yourself after a color... :P

Years
  • I never did. I always named him Mimi, even though it's a girl name. I was obsessed with Mimi from Digimon as a kid and named everything, even a cat, after her.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Uhhh YES!!!

I named my character Ash up until RSE, where the character design was too different to be able to name him Ash and get away with it. In Yellow specifically, I named my character Ash, got all of Ash's Pokémon, and tried to make my gaming experience as close to the anime as I possibly could.

Years
  • I started on Blue, and Red.

My characters name is "*****", with his rival being "Wet Back".
    And My Squirtles name is "Chief"

I think you may have come dangerously close to a post that could be removed or that could get you punished. I won't complain about it because I'm sure you didn't mean to offend anyone, and I myself do not feel offended (people do tend to overreact) but I would recommend being more careful in the future.

For now, I'll assume that the asterisks really are asterisks, that you gave your rival that nickname because he uses Water-types, and that you gave your Squirtle that name because it is the strongest Pokemon on your team.

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
    Years
  • Definitely not just you. I named my character ASH for a good five years and two generations, because I was an exceptionally unoriginal kid.

...Did anyone ever name their Black/White character Hilbert, though? I'll 'fess up to never having heard that name before Generation V.

Last edited:

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I never knew anyone who named their character Ash.

I grew up with friends and cousins with short names so they usually used that.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Yes. I've done it a lot. Sometimes when I'm restarting Yellow I'll just be too lazy to think of a name, so I'll use Ash. I like Ash, though. <3

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I named my guy after myself, however with Crystal I called her Krystal (didn't even know that was her name at the time). I actually used Krystal as the name of all female charachters until 4th gen where it turned to another name

Back