• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it just me or does Pikachu never seem to get stronger?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    There are levels in the anime. Just look at The School of Hard Knocks episode. The entire point of that episode was to make some effort to realize the level system, among others. It featured trainers going to school to learn the technical side of training and battling, much in the same vein as competitive battlers in our world must know every intricate stat detail if they want to win at tournaments.

But to answer the OP's question: the writers reset Pikachu at the start of each new series. They've had interviews where they answer this exact same question, and have made it clear that the Ash, Pikachu, and gang at the start of each new series (excluding the first three) are not the same Ash, Pikachu, etc. at the end of the last series. It's almost equatable to each series being an alternate path Ash started his journey on, each time re-learning the same things because he "hasn't".

So I hope that explains what "reset" means to people like Warped Reflection. We're not saying that Pikachu jumps in the "reset" machine and drops 20 levels, we're saying the writers simply start over.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    There are levels in the anime. Just look at The School of Hard Knocks episode. The entire point of that episode was to make some effort to realize the level system, among others.
    No it wasn't. They made a 10-second reference to levels and that's it. The point of the episode was to bring up a boy's confidence and knock down a girl from her high horse.

But to answer the OP's question: the writers reset Pikachu at the start of each new series. They've had interviews where they answer this exact same question, and have made it clear that the Ash, Pikachu, and gang at the start of each new series (excluding the first three) are not the same Ash, Pikachu, etc. at the end of the last series. It's almost equatable to each series being an alternate path Ash started his journey on, each time re-learning the same things because he "hasn't".
    A link to one of the interviews would be nice since what you just said goes against what the anime actually says.

So I hope that explains what "reset" means to people like Warped Reflection. We're not saying that Pikachu jumps in the "reset" machine and drops 20 levels, we're saying the writers simply start over.
    If by starting over you mean leaves most of his Pokémon at home, then yes I understand.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    No it wasn't. They made a 10-second reference to levels and that's it. The point of the episode was to bring up a boy's confidence and knock down a girl from her high horse.
    That is not the point of that episode. It's like saying the point of Mystery of the Lighthouse is a giant Dragonite. No, it was to further reference the games by introducing Bill, and to detail the six-party-rule (which is connected with Bill). Everything else was just written in to fluff the technical details with story.

A link to one of the interviews would be nice since what you just said goes against what the anime actually says.
    https://pokebeach.com/2008/07/second-pokemon-interview-with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points

Interview with Masamitsu Hidaka said:
    Now an overall question about the show. Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? He laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end. It will be the last episode. Going back to my first interview, I did not mention that he stated the show was cyclical because it could be the audience is constantly replaced (since children get older and leave, and new children come in), so they are allowed to get away with having the same repetitive goal. So, the show would probably continue the same way collect badges, travel through different regions, never age. Will Ash and Pikachu ever be replaced? No. Will they ever age? No. Will there be a 5th generation of Pokemon and will the show keep continuing? He laughed even harder and said of course. Pokemon will continue for many generations to come, and as he made it sound, probably forever.
    I think that's evidence enough that Ash and Co., including Pikachu, never change past the multiple series' end.

If by starting over you mean leaves most of his Pokémon at home, then yes I understand.
    Well, then you're misunderstanding. The show is cyclical, meaning the "universe" starts over at the end of each series. If you watch the whole thing from first episode to whatever episode they have now, you'll see that it's repetitive, cliche, and trash. Ash goes to new reason, Ash leaves his Pokemon behind, Ash gets a new girl, Ash catches new Pokemon, Ash becomes a "Pokemon Master", only to have the universe (as written by the writers) reset all that, using the same formula.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    That is not the point of that episode. It's like saying the point of Mystery of the Lighthouse is a giant Dragonite. No, it was to further reference the games by introducing Bill, and to detail the six-party-rule (which is connected with Bill). Everything else was just written in to fluff the technical details with story.
    So talking about levels for 10-seconds is the point instead of the overall theme of the episode where the try to cheer that little boy up? Okay.

https://pokebeach.com/2008/07/second-pokemon-interview-with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points

I think that's evidence enough that Ash and Co., including Pikachu, never change past the multiple series' end.
    No, that isn't. That quote explains that the show has a formula to it which is obvious.

Well, then you're misunderstanding. The show is cyclical, meaning the "universe" starts over at the end of each series. If you watch the whole thing from first episode to whatever episode they have now, you'll see that it's repetitive, cliche, and trash. Ash goes to new reason, Ash leaves his Pokemon behind, Ash gets a new girl, Ash catches new Pokemon, Ash becomes a "Pokemon Master", only to have the universe (as written by the writers) reset all that, using the same formula.
    You're mixing up Pokémon "reseting" and the writers recycling plots.

Lahar

Dragon of Chaos
    Years
    i must say that in no place in that interview says anything that pikachu gets his power reseted or anything

it just stated that characters dont age in the series and that it will still be cyclical nothing more

also for those of you complaining about pikachu beating regice and then losing against paul elekid then go take a good look at pauls biography in serebii.net cause it clearly states that he has ben traviling much longet than ash and has participated and ranked quite well in all the tournaments in hoen jotho and kanto

so its not like his elekid was just a fresh caught pokemon it was his power house like pikachu is for ash

so basically lvls are not a factor and dont exist in the anime

wild pokemon roam free for who know how long before encountering trainers to they are bound to have grown strong thats why some know very advanced moves

BTW ash has never ever become a pokemon master

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    So talking about levels for 10-seconds is the point instead of the overall theme of the episode where the try to cheer that little boy up? Okay.
    It wasn't just ten seconds. They had the boy running on the treadmill in the beginning, citing Pokemon and what levels they evolve and learn moves at, then they had him going into detail with Ash and Co. soon after, followed by the tour of the school and the various facilities, including the "battle sim", and finally they had Giselle over-confidently believing her Cubone (Ground) would defeat Pikachu (Electric). The ENTIRE episode was focusing on game-based features, specifically levels and type-advantages.

No, that isn't. That quote explains that the show has a formula to it which is obvious.
    Yes, it explains that there's a formula. It also explains that the show is CYCLICAL, that there is NO intention of aging Ash and Co., that he will NEVER be a Pokemon Master, etc. The entire quote only points in one direction: the show is done over, starting from the beginning with each new season to cater to new audiences. Meaning, Pikachu and everyone else are "reset".

You're mixing up Pokémon "reseting" and the writers recycling plots.
    No, I'm not. "Resetting" is not a Pokemon-world term, therefore it's meaning is flexible, and in relation to this thread it means one thing: the writers are recycling plots, "resetting" the entire series.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    It wasn't just ten seconds. They had the boy running on the treadmill in the beginning, citing Pokemon and what levels they evolve and learn moves at, then they had him going into detail with Ash and Co. soon after, followed by the tour of the school and the various facilities, including the "battle sim", and finally they had Giselle over-confidently believing her Cubone (Ground) would defeat Pikachu (Electric). The ENTIRE episode was focusing on game-based features, specifically levels and type-advantages.
    Those were all secondary plots, if you can even consider those as actual plots. In reality, you can call those fun facts to advertise the games since the anime is there to only advertise the games.

Yes, it explains that there's a formula. It also explains that the show is CYCLICAL, that there is NO intention of aging Ash and Co., that he will NEVER be a Pokemon Master, etc. The entire quote only points in one direction: the show is done over, starting from the beginning with each new season to cater to new audiences. Meaning, Pikachu and everyone else are "reset".
    Then how does Satoshi actually teach people like Hikari how to catch Pokémon and how he is able to recall on situations to help in since he "resets"? Also, if it does reset, then why do Pokémon from previous regions, take Squirtle as an example, appear to have kept the same amount of power if they had yet to appear in the generation?

No, I'm not. "Resetting" is not a Pokemon-world term, therefore it's meaning is flexible, and in relation to this thread it means one thing: the writers are recycling plots, "resetting" the entire series.
    No it doesn't. It means that they're using plots from old episodes and Pokémon behaviors from old episodes. In some episodes, they actually talk about what happens in old episodes. In the Canalave Gym Battle episode, they [Takeshi] talk about how much Satoshi has learned from his previous journies.

Years
    Well if Pikachu was seriously strong and would win every battle then the show would get really boring ... Maybe the other pokemon trainers get harder in every new region ?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Those were all secondary plots, if you can even consider those as actual plots. In reality, you can call those fun facts to advertise the games since the anime is there to only advertise the games.
    You just proved my point right there. "... the anime is there to only advertise the games." Case in point: that episode was about setting up game-features into the anime-world, tying them together and establishing even more.

Then how does Satoshi actually teach people like Hikari how to catch Pokémon and how he is able to recall on situations to help in since he "resets"? Also, if it does reset, then why do Pokémon from previous regions, take Squirtle as an example, appear to have kept the same amount of power if they had yet to appear in the generation?
    If you had read any of what I said above, then you would know that when you reincarnate, traces of your previous life can affect you. It's called karma. Just because the entire series is reset doesn't mean the writers can't mention it. But it should be known that they are doing so for one purpose: a plot device.

No it doesn't. It means that they're using plots from old episodes and Pokémon behaviors from old episodes. In some episodes, they actually talk about what happens in old episodes. In the Canalave Gym Battle episode, they [Takeshi] talk about how much Satoshi has learned from his previous journies.
    As I said above. Plot device, and nothing more. Doesn't mean Ash and Co. weren't reset.

And while I remember, please stop calling them by their Japanese names. This is the American dub we're talking about, which has the American names and is entirely different from the original. Seriously, I have no idea who you're talking about half the time.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Redstar said:
    You just proved my point right there. "... the anime is there to only advertise the games." Case in point: that episode was about setting up game-features into the anime-world, tying them together and establishing even more.
    It advertises the games by using Gym Leaders, cities, and Pokémon. There are game elements that don't apply in the anime world. If levels were a part of the anime, Roark wouldn't have been able to challenge Byron in the episode "Ancient Family Matters", no?

If you had read any of what I said above, then you would know that when you reincarnate, traces of your previous life can affect you. It's called karma. Just because the entire series is reset doesn't mean the writers can't mention it. But it should be known that they are doing so for one purpose: a plot device.
    The fact that you're using karma in this post doesn't help anyone. The Japanese don't even take karma seriously; they didn't even create it.

As I said above. Plot device, and nothing more. Doesn't mean Ash and Co. weren't reset.
    I did your post. If the characters were "reset" then those plot devices wouldn't be used since the series, as you claim it, has been reset with a "new" Ash. At this point, I question if you actually watch the anime anymore since Pokémon Diamond and Pearl shows that there is no reseting.

And while I remember, please stop calling them by their Japanese names. This is the American dub we're talking about, which has the American names and is entirely different from the original. Seriously, I have no idea who you're talking about half the time.
    First of all, we're talking about the anime and not the dub alone. Could this be why your reasoning is terrible? Secondly, they're not different shows. I don't even know where you're getting that from. Finally, stop complaining about names since that's not a good reason to complain. I used the dub names in this post though.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    it true, there are no lvls in the anime but if pikachu has been thru 5 diff, regions counting the orange islands, always battling and getting ash out of tuff places, he should be really strong, fast, and have a high defense. unlike the game pkmn can work on any of these and improve, ash is always improving with his pkmn after being beatin by a tough trainer, he has had so many special trainin sessions that at least pika should be unbetable and at least learn or have more attacks in his arsenal other then, thunderbolt, quick attack, iron tail, agility (rarely used now), volt tackle, thunder which hasnt been used in seasons it seems. i know pika cant learn many attacks due to its size and type, swift, thunder wave, etc. point being he should be strong, ex charizard, went to train early johto journey and came back near the end to beat claires dragonite, then returned in the silver conf, to defeat garys blastoise, and got beaten by the blaziken. thats ok. he proved he got stronger. finally came back to defeat a legenday pkmn (articuno) and then to battle brandon or somethin if not mistaken.

PokemonFanatic2

Under the rainbow
    Years
    There's been a large number of series of Pokémon since it first started, and Pikachu has always been Ash's number one Pokémon. Does anyone else find it funny that after all Pikachu's training and experience, he can still be beaten easily in Sinnoh? Surely he'd be pretty unbeatable by now?
    Yeah, because by now he would probably be level 100.

Maybe it's because he isn't a raichu so he isn't as strong.. Still, after 600 episodes you would think that pikachu would win all the time.

False Flag

Anime/Manga Junkie
    Years
    Light Ball Pikachu is what we would call a "glass cannon" in both the games and anime. Pikachu can take down pokemon like Dragonite and Regice, but dies to Eevee's tackle. Also, Ash loses because of hax and battling is 100% luck. Ash loses to a trainer, but the trainer loses to the team Ash counters. It makes perfect sense to me since Pokemon is all about hax.

...and finally they had Giselle over-confidently believing her Cubone (Ground) would defeat Pikachu (Electric). The ENTIRE episode was focusing on game-based features, specifically levels and type-advantages.

There's no such thing as type advantage in the games, even back in generation I. Pikachu learned surf back then and could destroy ground types. Back then, Misty went easy on that Joe guy since Starmie can learn ice beam and she didn't want to pwn his grass type too badly. Imo the games and the anime have more in common than most people think.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    I agree. But pokemon would never be the same if Riachu took to place of pikachu. I guess its the same with Dawns piplup though ^_^

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
    Remember, everyone: IT'S JUST A PIKACHU. It's not a transformed Mew, or a TR experiment, as some people think. IT'S JUST A PIKACHU. Even at Lv100, a Pikachu can only hope to strike 1 hit, before being taken down.
    And levels do exist in the anime, but in a different manner. See, they don't count the level, they just assume whether its high, or low. e.g.: "Your Bulbasaur is a high level!", or "My Graveler is a high enough level to beat your Starmie!". It all depends on how trained it is.
    And gym leaders are tougher in the anime, so that they make a formidable opponent. Maybe too formidable for the weak brain of Ash!

Rocka210

The Code Never Bothered Me Anyway
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 29, 2015
    It does seem odd how he almost beats the eleat 4 but struggles on the first gym

Back