• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is it just me or does red have many resemblances to Ash Ketchum?

DracoLatch

http://www.pokecommunity.com/s
Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2022
    For example, Lives in pallet town, very good, has a super awesome pikachu that is strong, wears a red hat.... Is it just me or is Red Ash?

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2012
    Ummm... How long did it take you to catch this connection... All six of Red's pokemon are Ash's Pokemon from the show...

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • Actually, Ash happens to be based off Red (who is the player character in the original games). Then, Pokémon Yellow is the same game with some features based off the anime. In that game, you obtain Pikachu, along with all three starters (just like Ash) and a Lapras in HGSS (or Eevee/Espeon in GSC). You're also given a PokéFlute so you have to encounter a Snorlax too. You become the Champion at the end of Pokémon Yellow. So at the end of GSC/HGSS, you are essentially fighting the character you played as, with the team of Pokémon mentioned above.

I know that paragraph probably makes no sense, but I'm too lazy to try to fix it up. It's so confusing to explain but at least I know what I mean. xD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, it's commonly accepted that Red is based more on the player Red from Pokemon Yellow, with that game being loosely based on the anime (and by that I man it was R/B with a couple of anime elements added in, in Pokemon and Jessie/James). All six Pokemon Red has are notable Pokemon in the 1st gen games and their remakes though; Pikachu the Yellow starter, the other three starters, Snorlax the roadblock and Lapras the gift Pokemon during taking down TR at Siph Co.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Ash is anime counterpart of Red which is main character in manga/games...
    So it's obvious they are similar...
    But thanks to Ash being in anime he is considered to be worse trainer than Red.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • Ash was based off of Red from Red and blue. Meaning they have many similarities :). Many people argue that red is based off ash, but really, its the other way round.

DarkAbsolX

Pokemon World Champion 50Times
    Years
  • Ash is based on red. That's my opinion.

But Red is by far more powerfull than Ash.

Red has badass pokemons and Ash catches many low standarts route pokemons.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I was always surprised when, in the update, Red's Espeon got replaced with a Lapras. I assumed it was to facilitate the connections to the anime, but I'd forgotten that Lapras was only a gift in Gen I. You really do learn something new every day! :D

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • Red is the same as Ash in so many ways it is hard to name them all, but for a few:
    * roughly same pokemon as each other
    * both from Pallet Town
    * Ash and Red are each others counterparts

Back