• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it me or New pokemons are getting less creative??

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Y'know, when I first saw these new Pokemon, I was pretty confused by their appearances. But now, I'm used to them. Some of you guys are a little TOO deep into your nostalgia, and only accept what's old and "classic". This is Generation 5 now. You can't expect the Pokemon to keep the same appearances over and over. Game Freak is doing something new.

And if you've noticed, they've also been taking a few steps back with some of these Pokemon. Ones like the trash bag and the Pokeball mushroom are similar to the types of Pokemon that we've seen in the 1st Generation. They're trying to appeal to everyone's tastes, but if it bothers you that much, then why bother playing Pokemon? =/
    Same. People just need time. I remember disliking a few generation 4 but now they aren't that bad to me.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The Gen 5 Pokémon are certainly creative. The problem I have with most of them are that they're too complicated: too many frills and patches of colour and all that. I believe appearance is the most important part of a Pokémon (with origin/inspiration at a middling second, and typing way down in third), and don't care at all for stats/battling potential.

To me (someone who began at Gen 1), Pokémon should be kept relatively simple. Plenty of the new Pokémon have so much detail it's hard to know where to look. I won't list any specific examples, but you know what I mean. I do have some exceptions to this (the Water/Rock turtle, Gigiasu (although that's not really complicated anyway), Kyuremu), but those are very few.

They should also look like they could be proper creatures. For one, that's why I take a dislike to Drifloon and Nosepass and other ones that are very much based on human features/inventions (I do like the Magnemite line, however, but I don't think nostalgia is the reason why). That's why I dislike the bin bag, the Poké Ball mushroom, the girder-wielding generic humanoid, the sarcophagus (its prevo could have been good, though), the ice-cream (mostly - it could still be feasibly natural, but I still dislike it for other reasons), the gladiator bug, the gears, and the candle/lamp (I kinda like the chandelier, though, because it's not overly obvious it's just a living object). And frankly, that's a lot of Pokémon for one Gen.

Most of the many humanoid Pokémon in this latest generation don't sit well with me either. I know we've had plenty of humanoids before (Alakazam, Gardevoir, Machamp, etc.), but they mostly still look like creatures rather than being some red guy with a large forehead in a karate outfit. I'll accept Gochurizeru as a gimmick (goth-loli, of course), but Meloia is just wrong.

Finally, the final evolutions of a couple of the Pokémon are just too different to be acceptable. A perfect example is Mijumaru turning into something almost completely different. Now, I do like the design of its final evo, but I don't think it should be related to Mijumaru. Desukan (the sarcophagus) is pretty much another example, as could be Ononokusu (the tusk dragon), but both of those have a few similarities to their prevos. Most of the bugs also qualify, but Bug Pokémon do tend to change a whole lot anyway. Overall, there are only a few examples of this, but it still contributes.

Liking or disliking Pokémon is, of course, an entirely personal thing. For instance, I like the legendary fighting trio (although perhaps not their types), the spiky Grass/Steel flailey thing, Burunkeru, Abagoora), and I dislike most of the bugs (for being too weird) and Koromori (a big NO! to the heart). That's just my opinion, though, and everyone will be different for their own reasons.

On the other hand, there are Pokémon pretty much everyone will dislike (the Gears, that Electric/Ground flat fish thing, the karate oni, the ice-cream, and whatever Furiijio is (seriously, what is it?). But that's just how it is.

The point is that there's plenty of creativity still floating around. The problem is with how it is used (too much detail, un"realistic" designs, etc.).

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
    I think this gen has some of the most creative Pokemon yet.

I agree, they are incredibly creative. Even the ice cream one that everyone is hating on. I think that the monkey trio is great, and I love the new starters. They do look different now, but I don't think that they've got out of touch. The only thing I'm worried about is that the sprites look really pixelated on the screen shots :/

Also, Pumpkin Fields, I love your tag line thing :)

Inpu

Rocket Lieutenant
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2010
    Honestly, I think that they're getting more creative by the generation. Gen I only looks good because we were all much younger when it came out, so it seems more magical.

My proof is in my signature; they made the golem for me.

Not "a" golem; THE golem. That came so far out of left field, I'm still not quite sure what to do with myself.

Isasapiens

A pine tree...
    Years
    Every generation had weird, or out of ideas, or less creative pokemon:
    Gen I: Rattata and raticate, Pidgey and its family, Zubat, Geodude, Voltorb, Ditto, and Various others (Including Mew and Mewtwo).
    Gen II: Corsola, Furret, Togepi and family, Wobuffet, Unown, Quagsire, Pineco and Forretress, Dunsparce.
    Gen III: Nosepass, Torchic, Zigzagoon, Seedot, Taillow, Shroomish, Slakoth, Whismur family, Gulpin family, Lunatone and Solrock, Wynaut, Shelgon.
    Gen IV: Bidoof, Probopass, Pachirisu, Cherubi, Bronzor family, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Togekiss, the Lake Trio.
    Gen V: #511 to #516, Mamepato, Kokoromori, Tabunne, Dokkora family, Hoyga, Yabukron family, Baniputchi family, Tesheed Family, Bururil family, Sazandra.
    My review.
    Gen I: They were way too rushed on ideas. (Seriously, Copycatting a bird and putting it onto a game?)
    Gen II: Well, started to get better.
    Gen III: Ok, some weird pokemon. (Aka Whismur)
    Gen IV: Fewer weird pokemon. (Most commonly referred as to some evolutions of old, almost forgotten pokemon, or Bidoof)
    Gen V: Well, returning to the basics, that is. (Means, some weird and object-based pokemon).
    And I liked about 80% of this gen.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    ya they are looking less like pokemon and more like yugioh or a whole new franchise. i think they should of stopped after 4th gen and made a whole new game with those Pokemon and mixed the generations together. maybe some new starters because the starters look decent but even the cover pokemon are whack.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    They're not getting any more or less creative. They're just getting more drug-induced. Every Pokemon generation has had cool and ugly Pokemon.

Generation 1 had Tangela (lol) and Cubone (awesome)
    Generation 2 had Corsola (kinda bad) and Gligar (a little awesome)
    Generation 3 had Skitty (oh god) and Glalie (niiiiiice)
    Generation 4 had Bibarel (lol Disney character) and Gliscor (awesome)
    Generation 5 has monkeys with broccoli growing out of their heads, but also that awesome mole thing.

nakahubadme

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    I loooove the original 151 monsters!! Honestly, I am starting to think that the more they add pokemon into the roster, the less creative they become. Some of them are actually starting to look like ripoffs of the older ones.

Years
    Less Creative? No. Less Realistic? Yes.

Pokemon hardly even resemble animals anymore. There are still a few awesome Pokemon, but it feels like Game Freak was lazy when it was creating the Pokedex.

For you weirdos who think seeing a couple of new Pokemon will harm you.

Spoiler:

Come on, it's like they're not even trying anymore. The last one looks like it was made in 3 minutes, they didn't even bother to detail the eyes.
    However, I appreciate that they don't have as many round features as Generation 4.

It's just an art style preference. I like the more animal-like designs in Generations 1-3. You know, the ones where the designers actually payed attention to anatomy.

Last edited:

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
    They're mutants. Aliens. And they scare me D: Mammy! iCry ;__;

No seriously, it's so un-Pokémonish that I don't know what to say. I am speechless. Maybe they didn't want them to look like other Pokémon and make them look different *shrugs*

Akirα

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    I am probably weird here, but I find that this generation's Pokémon has one of the better concepts and designs than the previous ones. Every generation has its 'Rattata', and this generation is not an exception. However, the ideas, mostly, the art, the concepts of most of the current Pokémon are exceptional. I like almost 3/4 of the new Pokémon, and the rest are all terrible.

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
    Less Creative? No. Less Realistic? Yes.

Pokemon hardly even resemble animals anymore. There are still a few awesome Pokemon, but it feels like Game Freak was lazy when it was creating the Pokedex.

Come on, it's like they're not even trying anymore. The last one looks like it was made in 3 minutes, they didn't even bother to detail the eyes.
    However, I appreciate that they don't have as many round features as Generation 4.

It's just an art style preference. I like the more animal-like designs in Generations 1-3. You know, the ones where the designers actually payed attention to anatomy.

I think it's good that they don't resemble animals anymore. I already know what a ladybug looks like, Ledyba doesn't impress me. That's the major problem I had with gen 1, it looked like there was no effort put into the designs. I remember being a little kid and thinking Persian was the coolest, most creative thing ever, but now all I can see is a cat with a dot on its forehead.
    I think it's good that GF is moving out of its comfort zone. Ghost/Fire Chandeliers? Awesome. Psychic Pokemon based off of the mysterious Nazca lines? Incredible. Grass/sheep Pokemon based off of a legend of a plant that grew sheep as fruit? Holy crap!
    I think Game Freak really outdid itself this generation.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    The new Pokemon really are less creative! I mean... Bulbasaur! Wow. A dinosaur with a plant on its back. Wonder how long that took. Voltorb is a Pokeball. Pidgey looks more like a real bird than a Pokemon. Exeggutor just looks retarded. And these new Legendaries are simply boring! Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres? Seriously? The names aren't even unique! I swear if Gen 6 is this bad I'm leaving the fandom. :[

... On a less sarcastic note, where did this assumption that all Pokemon have to be based on animals come from? Wouldn't it be more "creative" if it's based on something non-living? Not to mention there have been several "non-animal" Pokemon in every Gen since Kanto.

Years
    ... On a less sarcastic note, where did this assumption that all Pokemon have to be based on animals come from? Wouldn't it be more "creative" if it's based on something non-living? Not to mention there have been several "non-animal" Pokemon in every Gen since Kanto.
    No one said that all Pokemon have to be based on animals. If you learned to read you'd realize that we were stating that we simply prefer more animal-like designs. We're entitled to our own opinion, just like you. Not everyone has to like what you like. Don't pull out that Voltorb and Magnemite garbage, I never really liked them either, to be honest. In fact, Generation 1 Pokemon are too simple for my taste. However, older Pokemon are more animal-like, this is a fact. A lot of us don't like the new Pokemon, there's nothing more to it. Arguing with us and trying to say that Pokemon has always been this way is idiotic and simply a waste of both our time.

Eh, what's the point? It's inevitable that I'm going to get that idiotic reply about Mr. Mime or Voltorb, isn't it?

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I think there are plenty of Pokemon in Isshu that are based off animals, you have a snake, a boar, an otter, a squirrel, some breed of canine, more cats, monkeys and much more. I'm simply loving how this generation turned out with the exception of the legendaries since they kinda look like Spiritomb but reshaped and I never liked it to begin with. I don't see why people don't like the ice cream Pokemon, I find it simply fabulous, sure in terms of moves and stats it's mediocre at best but I know I'm gonna catch me on of those.

La Denryu

WITTY CAPTION
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    The last one looks like it was made in 3 minutes, they didn't even bother to detail the eyes.
    This has been said before, but 1st generation didn't have a lot of thought put into them either.

O hai, ditto.

Pokemon aren't getting uglier/less original. You're just getting older.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back