• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Is it possible to hack Pokemon Gen 1 to have Gen 2 changes (moves, stats, types, etc.)

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2015
    Hi!

I'm new to Pokecommunity but am a deep Pokemon fan. I've played Pokemon Blue when it first came out and have been hooked since. Hacking and emulation have kept my appetite for Pokemon sated for the time being, but with all of the quality hacks I see around the net, I'm reminded of an idea I had way back when Gen II was out.

What about hacking Pokemon Red to have all of the changes made in Gen II. For example, ghost was supposed to be super effective against Psychic and super resistant against it. However, due to time constraints, the developers didn't have time to correct the code. This was fixed in Gen II, but I always wanted to see if it would be possible to change it after the fact.

Another example: Bite is normal in Gen I, but dark in Gen II. This has saved me countless times when playing Gen II, but in Gen I I'm limited in what I can do.

A pipe dream would be to include all new movesets from Gen II or even after. It annoys me that Gen I has ridiculously different movesets and Gen II and after are superior in almost every way. Even smaller lower-stat Pokemon have been given ultimate finisher moves as early as Gen II.

Anyway, this is my idea. Thanks for reading! I would love to possible try this on my own but need some starting advice.

Any takers?

Years
    With my very limited knowledge on hacking, I know it is possible and should be quite easy to make these simple changes, with Rom Hacking you can do a ton of things and this is probably some more of the bare minimum ideas, take a look around tools and take a look at a few guides and you should be able to do it quite easily :)

Good luck!

EDIT: I know there are bases like Pokemon Red ++ and other bases that have even changed Pokemom Red and Blue to use Gen 2 Graphics and stuff like that, so I know this is definitely possible.

Last edited:
    Back