• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it worth keeping spare legends and events in previous generations for trade?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Hey guys!

I've been playing Pokémon now for over 20 years, and have deeply enjoyed the franchise since I first played Pokémon Blue. I own every RPG game in the series, and have been trading since the beginning! (Boy do I miss those super active Wi-Fi Chat days here on Serebii with Gen IV). I've been playing significantly more casually lately, however I decided to conquer the task of organizing all of my Pokémon throughout the boxes in each generation. However, I'm finding that I have a great deal of spare relatively rare "trade" Pokémon I had stashed for a rainy day (like a bunch of spare Victini on my Black version), or for a Pokémon I happened to be missing.

My question is, as I start to transfer many of my old breedjects into Pokémon Home along with some of my favorites, would it be more valuable to trade up the spare legends and events I have in the older games to trade in Gen 8, or is there still a relatively lively community of people playing older games that would be interested in these Pokémon in their native generations? I'd hate to trade them up just to find out that many people are still looking for these Pokémon and have some cool trades for them as well that I can still keep in the older generations.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The majority of trading is afaik usually done in what the most recent generation is, although you can still find people trading in the other ones. Not sure how much demand there is for those things in Gens 6 and 7 though, and I think that most people will just end up transferring valuable things to the current generation anyway.

What you could do though is transfer up just some of them. Like, using the example of your Victinis, send half of them up to HOME/SwSh, keep the other half on the older game.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 23, 2020
    Hey guys!

I've been playing Pokémon now for over 20 years, and have deeply enjoyed the franchise since I first played Pokémon Blue. I own every RPG game in the series, and have been trading since the beginning! (Boy do I miss those super active Wi-Fi Chat days here on Serebii with Gen IV). I've been playing significantly more casually lately, however I decided to conquer the task of organizing all of my Pokémon throughout the boxes in each generation. However, I'm finding that I have a great deal of spare relatively rare "trade" Pokémon I had stashed for a rainy day (like a bunch of spare Victini on my Black version), or for a Pokémon I happened to be missing.

My question is, as I start to transfer many of my old breedjects into Pokémon Home along with some of my favorites, would it be more valuable to trade up the spare legends and events I have in the older games to trade in Gen 8, or is there still a relatively lively community of people playing older games that would be interested in these Pokémon in their native generations? I'd hate to trade them up just to find out that many people are still looking for these Pokémon and have some cool trades for them as well that I can still keep in the older generations.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks for reading!

I found myself with the same dilemma with the release of Pokemon Home and moving all my Pokemon up from the previous games. I decided to just bring everything forward as I am sure there might be people that play the new games and don't have access to the old games so I will be able to help them out.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll keep a few just in case, I know there's still a few I still need in later generations before 8!

Back