• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is life pointless?

CombatArmsWarrior

A new Year is about to begin..
    Years
    Life is CERTAINLY not pointless people! Well to me it isn't. To me, in life, u should enjoy doing fun things, and also kind of agree with Chaolin that Life is something people waste or take adavantage with.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    Life is about fun.

Me? Well I see there is a point to life, to have fun with it, to make friends with it, then there may be times of sorrow though your life is about having fun with friends and yourself. There may be people out there who cannot have fun due to there countrys lack of resorces eg. Non-clean water, no electricity, very few food suplies, and things like that so there lives are not as good as most peoples, all they need is people to donate to them so they can have a better and more fun life, so they can enjoy it, like ours. So I see life has a point to it. People out there wonder why they need to go to school, and you want to know why they have to? They need a eduction so they can enter good collages and get a good job so they get payed so they can support themselfs and their familys so they can all have fun. Life has a reason, and the reason is to have fun...and I hope everyone remembers that. So get out there and have FUN!

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yep, it's pointless. It would be nice to think there's some great plan...I don't think so. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy our lives.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    People try to live, so there is a point to their life for their own sake.

But there are tragic scenarios where living on is meaningless.

Last edited:

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Technically, life really doesn't have a point unless you give it one. We weren't born here for a reason, other than our parents' ones. On the other hand, humans are born so that they can keep the species alive, like other animals or living beings. Then again, there is no other real reason than that, I think.

Since this is a philosophical question, there are many different views for it. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    That depends on how you give definition to the word "point" - to some, you define your point and to others it's left to faith rather than discerning the nature of that and life itself (with no offense in intention). And while I don't encourage spontaneous and abrupt, morbid treatment and demeanor towards oneself it often once again leads to how one defines "random" and if anything is as such or as simple as that.

But life is only pointless if you feel it to be that in your own interpretation. On my view, at least. I think an effectual way to make a transpicuous difference in this world is to give life a point and do something that would affect this world in a wholly positive way (though that once again leads to interceding but furthermore and even more so subjectivity).

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Life, huh? It has no meaning at all. At the same time, it has a lot of meaning... Think of it as a game that God is playing. God wants to see the reactions of his/her creations when something, anything is done to them. God wants to see what his/her creation does if they are left to be controlled by their own will.

In the end it's just that, God's testing us in a lot of different ways. I think he wants us to learn from this world, not to be a good person because we are innocent, but to be a bad person first and from our mistakes realize what is the morally right thing to do, and change ourselves according to that...

I can keep going on about these thoughts of mine, but it's too much to say...

houston

Just a Shadow
    Years
    Well I think it depends on what you do. I mean..if you live to do nothing until you die..then surely for you life might be pointless, it's a valid opinion. If instead of doing nothing, you have goals, aims, something to hang on in you life...a person, you family, god (personally i'm atheist, but some people live to please the God in which they believe, and I respect them) or any other goal, like living for a dream job...or just living to have a family...then from that point of view it isn't pointless at all.
    Still there are many opinions about this, many beliefs, many examples, but in the end, as I've said...it depends on what you want to do with your life.

basiclly this is the same that Hawkfish said, but just a little bit more detailed.

Last edited:

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I don't think life is pointless. You've been put on Earth for some reason, and it's up to you to figure it out. I also think that sexual reproduction has a lot to do with our stay on Earth, since like most other animals we're put here to reproduce too.

Shedinja8

Niger, atrum vel malum. Sumo.
    Years
    It is acualy are true human "intelegence" that makes us ask this question. If you think about, do you ever think an animal or any form of life would think this? Or entire search for answers is what causes questions like these. Though to ask the original question, A single person's life has no true point, but the group as a hole affects everything in the future. A life has no point, but the group forms the world.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    We are here for a reason...

No, life is not pointless. Think about it. If life was pointless, none of us would be here. There would be nothing, absolutely nothing, if there was no point to life. Why would God and Arceus and Science go through all the trouble of making a universe and a planet for us to live in/on if there wasn't a point to live? :D

Years
    Oh existentialism. I've gone through this subject in my life several times.

On the subject of life being pointless, I've always landed in between, really. Sometimes, I can't seem to find the reason in life and I have a disregard for what the future holds: we all knows that sooner or later, we're all going to die, so it doesn't really matter. We will all end up in the same oblivion where we no longer exist nor do we have the capacity of self-awareness. But then again, there's something more to life that I figured as I go through these bouts: faith.

Leo Tolstoy once said that the only thing that keeps him alive is faith. Maybe faith is the one thing that keeps us from despair. Faith is the one thing that keeps us moving forward. Faith cannot be put into specific terms, of course. Faith can be religion, your family, your friends, or anything that you can put your hopes on, as well as the future.

But then again, as I'm rambling this could all be for nothing. I end up looking at myself at the wider spectrum: I'm cosmic dust in the infinity of space. I'm not even a grain of sand. How should my opinion be important, and how should our knowledge or self-sentience be important if we all know that the world will be destroyed sooner or later?

Sometimes I think like that... haha... so please excuse my ramblings.

FinalFlare

.::Pokecommunity's Finest::.
    Years
    In ourselves we are pointless yes, but as a race we advance the planet. Perhaps for the worst, or perhaps for the better in a way we don't understand. Life does seem pretty pointless, but perhaps it's because we are just tiny little pawns in a bigger picture. Perhaps the universe is just one single cell in the body of something so much more enormous and profound, and that thing has meaning, and we, we are just a tiny little mechanism that is helping it to evolve and survive. Or maybe we're a virus trying to destroy it. The point is, you can't make sense of a puzzle with only one piece, and we're never going to have all the pieces - nowhere close, so we have to keep wondering.

Years
    Life is pointless in the fact of your inevitable end... But it's also not in what you do with your life. But then again how does that make a difference? Because the people you help are going to die anyway in the end right?

In some ways. Humans being able to think like this upon our own exsistance is a gift, and in other ways it's a curse.

I suppose life is getting past that knagging feeling in the back of your head that it's all going to end anyway, and enjoying what you have and the possibilities, and having FUN! :D

Basically just make the most of what you have, with that time you have here because, some people don't even have that.

Back