• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is love at first sight possible?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Do you believe there has to be time to build a connection between two people - or can this actually be achieved instantly? A lot of times it's just infatuation, or attraction, rather than love, in which case, how do you know it's different? Do you think relationships can be formed from those who only just met and know little about?

I sort of don't believe it. I think it's mostly infatuation and I think love comes overtime, rather than straight away. Everyone else is free to think what they want, however this is just how I feel. But yeah, what do you guys think about this?

As for where this goes...yeah choosing OC because I feel there will be varying opinions rather than a straight out answer.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    All my LAFS(Loves at first sight) since 3rd grade were only crushes that failed miserably.

Now that I think of it, I have my "LAFS" wondering why I liked those girls XD

And of course my only relationship that almost worked and a few that could've been on the verge were not LaFS. Attraction is what's more often than not at first sight, but the consideration of love really shouldn't be at first sight.

Now I'm LAFing. And I guess I'm basically begging for someone to headshot me now, so I'll stop.

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    Love is a connection that takes time to become true. Can you fall in love at first sight? No, but you can become attracted, which leads to meeting this person, which can lead to falling in love. xD Chain reaction.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Attraction at first sight? Yes. Love at first sight? No.
    If you love someone that's because you like the way they are and believe they match you. That is definitely not possible if you don't know that person.

reyzn

Years
  • I think love at first sight is not possible because a lot more has to happen for that to grow than simply 'seeing' someone. I believe in lust at first sight though.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I don't really believe it. I think a crush or infatuation at first sight is possible but not love.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I believe that love can happen extremely rapidly, but at first sight is a little... too fast to be probable.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I've only ever read one romance book, and that was Big Time Return, by Richard Matheson, and it dealt a lot with this concept. A man falls in love with a woman in the past after seeing a picture of her and reading about her. He travels back in time to meet her, and she falls in love with him immediately (if reluctantly).

I kept thinking to myself, "It doesn't work like that!" haha

"Love", whatever that means, takes time to evolve. Immediate attraction, now that exists. We experience it all the time, and that's really how the evolution of "love" usually begins. But that immediate attraction is not "love".

Actually, I got involved with someone after only a week or so, and it took me a good month to realize that I really disliked her, which was totally opposite from that "immediate attraction".

Relationships are a process, not a given!

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I believe in lust at first sight, but not love at first sight.
    Love takes time to manifest itself. Bizarre wording aside, a relationship has to grow before you can actually be in love.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I for one really don't believe in love at first sight. Love is an emotion that takes time to develop. Attraction at first sight...definetly. Love at first sight...no.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
  • You can have an instant chemistry with someone, as well as an instant infatuation with them, but in my opinion neither of these constitute as 'love'.

Love is a very strong emotion, after all. >:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I honestly feel that Love at First Sight is possible, but it's really rare.

Sure you can try to argue all you like about how it's just a physical sensation, but it's really more than that!
    Sometimes you look at someone and just know they are the soulmate you are looking for.

Naturally, not everyone wants to be romantically involved with their soulmate. Sometimes bonds are stronger in friendship and such, and I really don't blame people who feel this way. However I think that anyone who believes that Love at First sight is impossible is missing the point.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • I believe in love at first sight. It just hasn't happened to me yet.

But I do believe that there should be a deeper connection. I look at 'love at first sight' as based on outer beauty. REAL love is based on inner beauty. Being good-looking would just be a plus.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't think love at first sight is possible, no. Love is a strong connection that takes time to develop. I do believe in soul mates, though!!

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    no, because love is blind

c whAt i did but no, something as complex and substantial as love requires time to strengthen and build. attraction and infatuation can take place suddenly, but certainly not true love.

but from personal experience, i can say i felt a particular spark when i first met my ~soulmate~, if you will.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Infatuation at first sight is highly possible, but love? I think not. You can't build a trusting relationship at a glance. I takes time.

Trainer Matt

PokéFriend!
    Years
  • I'd just like to point out, as I often do, that love is no different, biochemically, than eating large quantities of chocolate. ;)

If you're a woman: You make love... and your belly swells up. You eat large quantities of chocolate... your belly swells up. This makes sense! Love is a bit different on an emotional scale though, don't you think?

Responding directly to the topic: I don't believe love at first sight is possible. You can establish an immeadiate connection. But love itself doesn't blossom until you've made more contact. Then again, I've never met anyone in person claiming to have found love on first sight. I imagine they would twist the truth when in a lovey-dovey mood. "Oh.. it was love at first sight!" which translates as: "I saw him/her one night and we had a lot of chemistry going, but we still barely knew one another so therefore couldn't reallly appreciate each other enough to be in love with who the other person is as a whole."

Back