• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Is my Pokemon Ruby fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
  • Alright, I want to know if my Pokemon Ruby that I ordered online is fake or not. In the attatchments, you can see the front + back of the cartridge. The quality is a bit bad, but...meh. My friend got a fake Sapphire, and I want to know if I have a bootleg. Furthermore, I have a few questions:
    1. If it turns out to be a bootleg, can I migrate Pokemon to D/P/Pl without deleting my save?
    2. Is there any disadvantage to having a fake game rather than a real one?
    --
    Notes:
    -It says my internal battery has run dry, yet I don't think I'm getting RNG clones.
    -If you look inside the cartridge and onto that green area(turn cartridge upside down and tilt it), it has a copyright symbol, 2002, and a bold nintendo. All of it is in white.
    -Next to the gigantic PokeMoN logo is a tiny white R. If looked closely at, there are a few characters that look like OOA next to it.
    --
    If you have any further questions, just ask so in the thread. So, once more, is my game fake or real?

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • It looks like my sister's copy of Ruby, I even got it out to compare.

There are some disadvantages to having a bootleg, such as glitches or missing files, but that usually only happens with bootleg ROMhack cartridges. You should be able to migrate to D/P/PL without issues as long as it is a clean ROM the creator used to make it.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If you have doubts about it then you obviously have some instinct that it's fake.. there's videos which will determine that. It's best to just buy from safe places i.e Ebay, Play etc.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
  • Alright, here's the thing:
    the internal battery is dry. That should give me RNG clones with a frozen RNG. It's not. Besides that, the cartridge looks perfectly normal.

@Jarred
    Is your sisters copy a fake?

Anyways, this is my second copy of Ruby. My first was a bootleg. What I noticed was that the save would delete a lot, and that it would always say:
    The save file will be loaded or The save file has been deleted before I play. That's not happening. There is strong evidence pointing to fake and strong evidence pointing to not fake. I need to figure out which it is.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

It be mighty helpful mate if you could get some clearer photos.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ^ What he said. Some screenshots would be nice too. And I don't know about what y'all are saying about he should be able to transfer to gen IV just fine...he actually shouldn't be able to. From what I understand, the Gen IV games will detect a fake GBA cart in the GBA slot on a DS and delete the GBA game's save file. It has been a long time since I heard a case of that, though.

Though I do know that most gen III games' batteries are running dry nowadays, similar to when everyone's GSC batteries died. So that shouldn't have to be an issue anymore, unless you're RNGing apparently.

And I'd normally lock this and say to ask in the Q&A thread, but it's far enough along that I'll keep it open till you can come to a conclusion as to whether or not your game is fake.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    the screen shots are hard to see. I compared to my copy that I know is legit and they look pretty much the same. My copy's battery also has run dry so you shouldn't worry about that... unless your going to RNG. Just try to migrate a couple pokemon from Ruby to a gen 4 game and see what happens. If it deletes your file than its fake. If not then it looks like your ok

NatureKeeper

Do you have a camera with a higher quality?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    My guess it that you've managed to get a faulty cartridge, as the cartridge itself is pretty much genuine. I'd honestly be surprised to see that it is a fake. By the way, some screenshots would be helpful.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    Maybe it's old. My internal battery ran dry. That just means the battery
    that makes the internal clock work died.

And my copy doesn't look like yours, but I don't think that means it's fake.

Maybe it was just tampered with?

Years
  • I didn't find out my emerald was fake until the game deleted itself. Be wary, if your not sure, transfer! They are good at putting some of those little details. Like white lettering saying copyright and such in the cartridge. And yet, my fake emerald had the sticker coloring slightly off. Silly bootleggers

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    It's really too blurry to determine if it's fake. But from my experience with a fake cartridge, it doesn't matter to heavily unless the product is really low quality.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back