• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokémon Childish?

spastman

Pokemon Proffesor
Years
  • its like a movie: you have movies for children (like Dora) and you have movies for the family (like Madagascar).
    Family-movies are for all ages, just like pokemon (but the greatest amount are children).
    Conclusion: ¨Pokemon is for all the ages!

cherrybby

→ bellarayne
    Years
  • Nowadays it's just 7 year olds screaming "OMGAWSH I CAWT PALKIA/DIALGA/GIRATINA" and all that garbage instead of 15 year olds going "Ho-oh, ****ing cool dude"

but i have to say that i much prefer children excitedly talking about the legendaries they got, than teenage badasses. ;]

anyway... is pokemon 'childish'? that's kind of a harsh word. it usually denotes immaturity and impishness. in that sense, it's not childish. the anime is pure, sweet, and innocent. childlike, not childish. i've always felt that the games were less innocent, and discussed "darker" matters (such as cubone's mother, the old chateau, etc), but pokemon really is geared towards anyone. (:

i haven't really gotten into the manga, but i do think that it's a bit more... dark? compared to the anime, at least.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • The concept of Pokemon is childish, of course. The anime is pretty childish. The main concept of the Pokemon game is childish (beat gym leaders, elite 4, battle frontier, etc). If you go around to the competitive component of Pokemon well that's debatable.

Years
  • No Pokemon is not childish. It never has been and never will be. Its the marketing what makes it "childish". The Pokemon franchise itself is for everyone and I love the anime and I am 25 now.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • Psh. No!

You're never too old for anything. I'm a teenager, I still play Pokemon with the little 11 year old down the street.

Gold_fan

Brain over - Insert Coin.
    Years
  • As many here said, I think Pokemon is for all ages.
    There're things that maybe younger people wouldn't understand directly, like in the first movie.
    I don't know how Mewtwo said it in English, but if I were to traduce French to English, it would be something like :

"It's not the difference between each of us that makes us someone, it's what we do from the gift of life, that determines who we are."

I watched the movie when I was like 6 or something, and I didn't get the meaning of many phrases in the Pokemon Movies/Show.
    But yeah, Pokemon really can seem childish, but there're still things youngers can not understand as teenagers would, for example, IMO.

(forgive my bad english, hun xD)

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
    Years
  • Depends how you treat it. Younger kids can enjoy the games, so it can seem childish, but for more mature audiences there is a lot of complex parts of the game. (IVs, EV training, Breeding, even natures)

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Well, to me, it's not childish, but it's not exactly something that I talk about around other people. Like, the people who play with me, I talk to them about it, but other than they, I just get laughed at. But for example, my friend's uncle IV breeds, so I mean, yeah.

I don't think it's childish, but other people do. But hey, it's a hobby right?

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • Anime. Yes. Game. No. The only thing childish about the game is Gen. 4. I ask a little kid who's like 7 and say "Have you played Gold before?" He's like "Whawt's gowld?" o_o Kids these days... hooked to the Gen 4. games (Besides HG/SS)... OMFG I JUST CAUWT THE LEDGENDAWRY GIRINTENAZ!!! YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! That's when Pokemon becomes childish >.<

EDIT: I agree with Syphr

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • but i have to say that i much prefer children excitedly talking about the legendaries they got, than teenage badasses. ;]

anyway... is pokemon 'childish'? that's kind of a harsh word. it usually denotes immaturity and impishness. in that sense, it's not childish. the anime is pure, sweet, and innocent. childlike, not childish. i've always felt that the games were less innocent, and discussed "darker" matters (such as cubone's mother, the old chateau, etc), but pokemon really is geared towards anyone. (:

i haven't really gotten into the manga, but i do think that it's a bit more... dark? compared to the anime, at least.

Don't forget the "White magic" circle in Pokemon Tower in RGBY (BTW, the FR\LG remakes don't say it xD

Back