• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is purchasing the Japanese Version worth it when you cannot understand it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    Well, is it? I am extremely tempted to purchase the game online, as for I am clueless on what I'd like for Christmas. The game is $40, but I need to know - Is it THAT hard to comprehend what they say?
    Also, is it possible to use something like an Action Replay to change the game to a different language?
    Please help me if you can. Thanks =]

Chorus.EXE

Winner is Justice!
    Years
    oh, well no, how can you play the game if you don't even understand it? It may cause confusion like when I had pokemon Emerald in Japanese 4 years ago, I didn't know how to get the starter because I didn't understand what was the game saying -_-

Years
    If you have a basic knowledge of what happens in Gold and Silver, you should be able to make it through most of the game. If you need help we're always ready to help.

Chorus.EXE

Winner is Justice!
    Years
    well, if you try a totally new game like pokemon Gen V (If) with Japanese only, how the heck can you find the right way eh?

Chorus.EXE

Winner is Justice!
    Years
    dude, if you want to have a sneak on the game that's only have English version in few month, 40$ will be wasted!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    If you really think you'll have no understanding of the language, and because of the cost, your best bet would be to wait just another few months for the English copy of the games. To be honest, after Christmas and with the New Years right around the corner, the games will be released in no time at all.

As it is true that if you know the basic concept of GSC you'll pretty much get what to do, this does not apply for all. So, if you think about it, it'll save you the money and hassle and allow you to purchase the game you'll fully understand. If you want a sneak peak, there are tons of videos and images as well as details to watch and read around the internet. It's your call regardless, but there's a lot you should consider before importing under your circumstances like mentioned above.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    Thank you everybody for stating your opinions. I guess I will live off of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon until it comes out.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Well, didn't they come out with the English translation pack for HG/SS emulators?
    If you're desperate you could seek one of those out.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    If you search hard enough on Google, you should be able to find a ROM of HeartGold or SoulSilver with patches put over the majority of the text in the game, giving a rough translation of the original Japanese text. Then, you could put it onto a flashcart, but technically speaking, that's illegal.

I'd just wait for the games to come out in America. You get a copy certified by Nintendo, a user experience that is more solid than a shoddy translation, and the PokéWalker.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Pfft. Translation patches ont he roms don't translate near the actualy storyline in full anyways, and there's some downsides (not the real thing, no wait to use with a pokewalker/no Pokewalker, unless you have a flash cart you have to play on an emulator, etc etc). But it seems you've reached a decision and it boils down to pay money now to play earlier and if you care about not understanding stuff or not. (The FAQ does help witht he parts people have gotten stuck in, and there's also the Help thread).

ANYWAYS closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back