• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the 3DS a "Pokémon machine" ??

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
Years
  • They drop because after a new COD game is released, most of their players automatically switch to the new CoD, so everyone follows.

A new Mario Kart game comes out, the previous ones still got a high replay value and people still play those, both the new and old ones. So no need to price drop if it's still selling well.
    Exactly. Why bother make a better game, right?

You are so wrong. I'd rather play Tetris on my Game Boy than playing Battlefield or Call of Duty. While those are the same thing every year, because developers only focus on better graphics, the games with worse technology tend to be better. The GB used outdated technology when it was created. However, it was easier for developers to work with it, and games were great, because they weren't focusing on technology.

Call of Duty and Battlefield are Generic FPS, you can say the same about generic Mario games.
    Games with worse technology ARE NOT better in almost any way. As I said, they are good for the funzies. Actually they're better in one way; to play with my 3yr and 8yr old nephews.
    I'm not saying: "Make a 4k Wii U " or "A 1080P 60fps Mario Kart" Just be on par with 2014 tech.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Exactly. Why bother make a better game, right?

Because they actually DO make better games with improvement without any purchasable DLC required and not only "hey let's add 2 new tracks and 3 more karts to the game. Want some more hidden characters with one more track? Buy our DLC for 69$." Like every CoD game released.

Call of Duty and Battlefield are Generic FPS, you can say the same about generic Mario games.
    Games with worse technology ARE NOT better in almost any way. As I said, they are good for the funzies. Actually they're better in one way; to play with my 3yr and 8yr old nephews.
    I'm not saying: "Make a 4k Wii U " or "A 1080P 60fps Mario Kart" Just be on par with 2014 tech.

Generic Mario games? Are you saying Mario party, Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are all the same? Mario is just a name. The way they separate that franchise into different games with different aspects and goal is what makes the franchise one of the best selling franchise in the world.

Only reason why Call Of Duty and Battlefield are doing good in sales is because those are the most dominant 'FPS' games right now and for people to keep playing with their friends on CoD, they gotta keep themselves updated with buying their game every year. Not everyone likes the idea of buying another CoD game when the last one was released just 5 months ago.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
  • Generic Mario games? Are you saying Mario party, Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart are all the same? Mario is just a name. The way they separate that franchise into different games with different aspects and goal is what makes the franchise one of the best selling franchise in the world.

Only reason why Call Of Duty and Battlefield are doing good in sales is because those are the most dominant 'FPS' games right now and for people to keep playing with their friends on CoD, they gotta keep themselves updated with buying their game every year. Not everyone likes the idea of buying another CoD game when the last one was released just 5 months ago.

Because Nintendo doesn't have anymore characters/names to put on their games, right? Mario this Mario that, urgh! I remember when Sonic the Hedgehog was outselling Mario games. Nintendo was like: "How's that simple game with simple engine can be better than my game?"(Something like that). Now it's the complete opposite.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Because Nintendo doesn't have anymore characters/names to put on their games, right? Mario this Mario that, urgh! I remember when Sonic the Hedgehog was outselling Mario games. Nintendo was like: "How's that simple game with simple engine can be better than my game?"(Something like that). Now it's the complete opposite.

Are you serious? Where do you get your facts from? Super Mario Bros ONLY sold over 40 million copies while Sonic the Hedgehog + Sonic the Hedgehog 2 + Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic the Hedgehog 3 sold over 23 million TOGETHER. Yes, Sonic is a very good game but nowhere did it ever come close to even reach the half of what the Mario franchise made.

Nintendo is known for it's great franchise. A great majority of their games have been great successes and some of them have been flops. But that is what makes Nintendo different from the rest, they are known for making great franchises that got very high replay value, and not a one season hit.

It's not for nothing that in the top 5 selling consoles of all times, Nintendo got 3 consoles on it and Sony got 2, Playstation 2 being the highest.
    And of overall console (home game/ handheld console) Nintendo is the top company with a difference of 234 million over the 2nd leading company, Sony.

Nintendo sold over 277 million home consoles and 399 million handheld console while Sony got 350 million and 92 million handheld console.

While Nintendo uses their mascots to sell games, they do it in a way in which fans keeps coming back for more and doesn't put out games every 6 months. They want people to say "Oh I want this game when it comes out! That game looks great!". While CoD games, people don't wanna keep wasting money on the same game with a few additions for almost 100$. When Nintendo give out games, people get their money's worth(most of the time), Mario franchise or not.

Not for nothing Nintendo recently received a nomination for Game of the Year, Best Remastered, Best Action/Adventure, Best Fighting Game, Best Sports/Racing Game, Developer of the Year, Best Mobile/Handheld, Best Role Playing Game & Best Family Game.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
  • Are you serious? Where do you get your facts from? Super Mario Bros ONLY sold over 40 million copies while Sonic the Hedgehog + Sonic the Hedgehog 2 + Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic the Hedgehog 3 sold over 23 million TOGETHER. Yes, Sonic is a very good game but nowhere did it ever come close to even reach the half of what the Mario franchise made.

Nintendo is known for it's great franchise. A great majority of their games have been great successes and some of them have been flops. But that is what makes Nintendo different from the rest, they are known for making great franchises that got very high replay value, and not a one season hit.

It's not for nothing that in the top 5 selling consoles of all times, Nintendo got 3 consoles on it and Sony got 2, Playstation 2 being the highest.
    And of overall console (home game/ handheld console) Nintendo is the top company with a difference of 234 million over the 2nd leading company, Sony.

Nintendo sold over 277 million home consoles and 399 million handheld console while Sony got 350 million and 92 million handheld console.

While Nintendo uses their mascots to sell games, they do it in a way in which fans keeps coming back for more and doesn't put out games every 6 months. They want people to say "Oh I want this game when it comes out! That game looks great!". While CoD games, people don't wanna keep wasting money on the same game with a few additions for almost 100$. When Nintendo give out games, people get their money's worth(most of the time), Mario franchise or not.

Not for nothing Nintendo recently received a nomination for Game of the Year, Best Remastered, Best Action/Adventure, Best Fighting Game, Best Sports/Racing Game, Developer of the Year, Best Mobile/Handheld, Best Role Playing Game & Best Family Game.

lol. I heard it in a documentary a while back. Take it with a grain of salt.

It is clear that nintendo sells alot. Let's drop the CoD comparison lol. Let say games like The Last Of Us, Skyrim,Uncharted, Batman Arkham games, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Mortal Kombat. Well developed games, Awesome story, Beautiful graphics, Amazing gameplay. How can a Mario game be in the same list as any of these games?

For me to find another game that isn't Mario in a Nintendo shelf at gamestop, I have to basically ask for the game! It's almost like they assault you with Mario.

This got way out of topic, mostly my fault. lol

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
    Years
  • Exactly. Why bother make a better game, right?

Why should they? Current hardware tends to be harder for developers. And it makes the devs focus less on the game.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

lol, jz. Good to see you prancing around energetically. It's been a while since i've been here...*ahem*

On-topic: Naturally, yes. Even mario-wise, it is. They're first-party games that are great franchises, and no other company does it better. But still, they've got other exclusive franchises that many fans also look forward to (Metroid, Monster Hunter, Zelda), and you've gotta hand them that -- even if they seem to be "shadowed" by Pokemon's popularity, they're all still making money.

Speaking about the hardware/quality sub-topic arguments... for as long as we got a decent game, it hardly matters how advanced the technology is. It's how the technology was professionally used in the game that we actually admire in the end...BUT somehow, in the past generation, that ideology seems to have totally reversed. It's a sad thing, but it shouldn't be the problem. People are making it the problem, and that itself is the problem. There's supposed to be nothing wrong, either way, we should just want good games.

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Kinda funny that company that tries their hardest to avoid mobile market is nominated in this category...
    They should seriously separate this into 2 categories.
    I think it's fine as it is, seeing that the you could almost say the same for first-party developed home-games. Nintendo's decision to avoid distribution of it's first-party games to the mobile market, or other markets, is entirely irrelevant to the nominations for the portable-gaming scene.

We've seen some companies do exactly the opposite and see where it led them *cough*Ouya*cough*. Still had nothing to do with games in the same field being pitted against each other, though. Bad example, but yeah, doesn't matter.

KamikazeSSoH

Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi
    Years
  • I think that Nintendo only have 4 things to have in a new console :
    Zelda = Remake or new game
    Pokemon = New Game and Remake
    Mario = Everything
    Sonic = New Game

I Mean Nintendo is getting smaller year after year. because theres no new stuff. it just old stuff. so its like im passing a Hat to my son and my son to his son etc. idk if this makes sense but. Nintendo has to do NEW Games NEW Everything. don't focus on 4 things. FOCUS ON NEW GAMES. Of Course i will buy for these 4 but i want new games like the xbox and ps has to offer because i don't wanna play Super Mario or Super Luigi that is the same thing for ages. thats why nintendo is not big anymore. imo and if i do play the 4 games and i see the new console or portable console and see the same games. i will just not buy it. or just wait for when nintendo gets new games. But Nintendo just have to sell some of those games like Zelda and Sonic. to Sony or Microsoft because these 2 games are just Remake or New Games that is not keeping me to play the game or other games for the console idk if this makes sense.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • lol. I heard it in a documentary a while back. Take it with a grain of salt.

It is clear that nintendo sells alot. Let's drop the CoD comparison lol. Let say games like The Last Of Us, Skyrim,Uncharted, Batman Arkham games, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Mortal Kombat. Well developed games, Awesome story, Beautiful graphics, Amazing gameplay. How can a Mario game be in the same list as any of these games?

For me to find another game that isn't Mario in a Nintendo shelf at gamestop, I have to basically ask for the game! It's almost like they assault you with Mario.

This got way out of topic, mostly my fault. lol

I'm pretty sure it's most likely because the Mario franchise is a franchise that hits it with every single person, no matter what age. While, Skyrim, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Far Cry etc. Are mostly aimed towards older people. And for the shelf thing at Gamestop, that's how merchandising works, you put the most popular games in front wide and visible. Because, let's be honest, would you rather put Mario, the best selling franchise in gaming history and attract customer's eyes or put instead Cooking Mama?

And again, the reason why Mario is on top of those is because of their fun factor they give to the customers. It might not have the best story because you trample Bowser or other enemies most of the time, but the replay value is really high, especially with their multiplayer function. While people that play games like Last of Us, Uncharted and Far Cry people will most likely drop it when they finish the game, which most people do when they finish it.

lol, jz. Good to see you prancing around energetically. It's been a while since i've been here...*ahem*

Off topic, but... either I have a really vague memory or you just know me and I don't know you x)

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Off topic, but... either I have a really vague memory or you just know me and I don't know you x)
    It's both, no doubt.

lengthy post
    Except, there's so much to see in nintendo's consoles than their own games: Fire Emblem, Bravely Default and Monster Hunter (now that it's moved to nintendo), to name a few. There's a bunch more quality games that i did write earlier but erased cus the list was too long.

Now, you've got what, 3-5 games with thousands-of-hours worth of replay value and some quality exclusives you wouldn't find elsewhere, or ever (in future consoles). Fair deal, no? UNLESS these games aren't your thing. Aren't they? I could say the same thing for any other platform in the current gen, actually (minus multi-platform games...there's only a handful of exclusives worthy of mentioning), and that's where preference steps in. I.e Vita has a lot of ports, but still some fine fresh titles (plus you can do more than just play games on it). I'd buy it if there was anything I'd kill for, but none so far.

You can ignore the repeats and just root for the fresh new titles. It's probably best to accept that it's how nintendo and other do their marketing: milking money from the same stuff. WiiU's on it's deathbed right now and I'm sure nintendo's learned a lot from it.

Last edited:

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I'm in the same boat as the OP. The only games I've been playing on my 3DS have been one Skylander game, whilst the rest have been Pokémon games, even on DS and GBA. I think that's mainly the reason why I even bothered buying a 3DS. To play Pokémon. That aside, If I wanted to play a handheld, I'd more than likely veer towards the much neglected PS Vita or indeed the apps on my android phone.

Aiirisu

Elegant Outrage
    Years
  • Every Nintendo handheld has been a Pokemon machine for me tbh.
    I originally got a 3DS for X & Y, and didn't play anything else on it actually until I got OR.
    Though I am interested in getting Persona Q and that Majora's Mask remake at some point. I feel so bad, though. The 3DS is such a good system. Just not a lot of it's games really appeal to me.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

With all respect to Nintendo, I don't see that coming.
    Nintendo does fail at home console systems in recent years and that's a fact that cannot be changed so quickly...
    They should direct their attention to handhelds and opening more to new 3rd party producers.
    Hm, you may be right. Though, I did not really write that statement in a particularly positive or hopeful tone. I kind of doubt that the GC/GBAmicro -> Wii/DS rebound will ever happen again, myself.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • Hmm well I'd have to agree but only because I got a 3DS to play Pokemon X on. But they are starting to get some good RPG titles now. I'm a fan of the Etrian Odyssey series and Monster Hunter 4 is coming out next year so :^) But a while back I do have to agree that the 3DS didn't have titles I was interested in.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'd say the 2DS exists only for it to be a easy bridge to the 3DS Pokémon games for the younger audience and nothing else, mainly as it doesn't use the touchscreen often and uses 3D sparingly.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2016
    I'd say the 2DS exists only for it to be a easy bridge to the 3DS Pokémon games for the younger audience and nothing else, mainly as it doesn't use the touchscreen often and uses 3D sparingly.

My first instinct was to say that concept applies to most 3DS games, so it isn't just a Pokemom machine either....

But then I remembered the 2DS was released the same day as Pokemon X and Y. So it was largely released as a less expensive machine for Pokemon.

Back