• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the WB show any good anymore?

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Kitsune_girl said:
    I loved it when it first came out. They left the blood in and it wasn't all goody-goody. I loved the first movie, but only after I heard about all the left out sceens...
    Blood!? I'm sorry, but I'm confident that Pokemon has absolutely NO blood AT ALL! Regardless to which version.

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years
    Well personally I thought that the orignal first few series in Kanto were very good and I still watch them now, the when it came to Johto it went downhill for me but I kept watching it and the Johto League was cool. But AG is awesome I love it more than the Originals and way more than Johto so I guess they go in this order

1) Pokemon AG
    2) Pokemon (The original)
    3) Pokemon Orange League
    4) Pokemon Johto

Pokemon_Veteran

Kitsune_girl

I am ninja hear me roar!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Mew?
    • Seen Sep 1, 2008
    Elite Trainer Raven said:
    What blood? There was never any blood in the series, not even in the Japanese version. o_O; Scrapes maybe, but those were always left in.

No, in the first few episodes there was blood. Like the farfetch'd episode, when he was battling, the bird pokemon had bloody scatches on him, and when meowth would scratch team rocket. I'm kinda glad they took that stuff out though, as angry parents would have got it baned. Now every episode is all happy though, and its a little too cheery for me... I only watch it now because team magma is awsome n_n

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
    Years
    As I said: "What blood? There was never any blood in the series, not even in the Japanese version. o_O; Scrapes maybe, but those were always left in." Those kind of things were left in. But stuff like blood flying about or from deep wounds never had blood. :P

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Kitsune_girl said:
    No, in the first few episodes there was blood. Like the farfetch'd episode, when he was battling, the bird pokemon had bloody scatches on him, and when meowth would scratch team rocket. I'm kinda glad they took that stuff out though, as angry parents would have got it baned. Now every episode is all happy though, and its a little too cheery for me... I only watch it now because team magma is awsome n_n
    Oh, I see...
    I thought you meant they got blood when they battle :P Which Pokemon never does...correct me if I'm wrong :P

Mandy-Chan

*~Candy Mandy~*
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jan 24, 2007
    I love all of the seasons in the "dubbed" version.
    They cut and add things to the dubbed version to please the people (parents and kids).They cut out violence and whatnot because Japan has a different opinion then other places do about what children should and shouldn't be allowed to watch. Some things are added because 4kids thinks that children want to see and hear it(if they think that children will find it funny to have Ash seem clueless about this then it's added,I think they add shippyness to get teenagers and some kids who like romantic stuff to like the show because they like the little hints)

I think what Kitsune_girl is refering to is the fact that you can see blood within the scratches not like blood flowing from it or anything like that.

I really love this Anime and would say that you should give it a chance and if you don't like it then what harm did it do.
    *~Mandy~*

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
    the dub doesn't "please" people...it kills a perfectly good series. For example...in the jap series, Satoshi has a wierd and witty personality,and that alone makes him funny. Compare it to Ash and now you are talking about a whole different person,dumbfounded and no real personality(and he made tons of corny references in the first couple of seasons,blame 4Kids for that). And yes the japanese may have a different standard of children's shows there,but that makes it much more enjoyable because they don't have to tell bad puns to make people laugh,the overall comedy in the dialogue makes it just plain funny. Sure no one that understands japanese(I don't) will find probably never understand the funny part of that dialogue,but you can still figure out it was funny. And yes,you can reference that the dub is targeted for 5-12 year olds(I totally agree on that),but the point is the people that were 5 or 10 yrs old back in 98 when it first started want better dialouge and a little
    more exitement(which the dub can't provide).

My final say on this....the older people that started on the first season should plunge into the jap series. The younger group should stay with the dub if they are happy with it. That's all i'm saying.

Last edited:

Mandy-Chan

*~Candy Mandy~*
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jan 24, 2007
    The person that started this is 12.I'll agree with you that quite a few of the people who liked pokemon when they were young by now don't like it because they find it to be to childish for their taste now and for them the Japanese version probable would be better.4kids is trying to please people, they take out violence and other stuff to please the parents and they put in what you would call "corny" jokes to make the children laugh, of course some older people would find these jokes stupid,and the shippyness was added to please the viewers.
    *~Mandy~*

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
    Yea,it would be common sense to assume that the older people now have different mindsets than they did when they were younger(unless if there's something absolutley wrong with them). The only reason I made that huge speech is to try to wrap up the topic,and everyone's questions and opinions would be basically summed up. I respect everyone's opinion and have nothing against any other beliefs or ideas about the series as a whole. And I do wish to apologize for any hurtful comments or actions that I may have said in my last post.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    TSS_Killer said:
    the dub doesn't "please" people...it kills a perfectly good series. For example...in the jap series, Satoshi has a wierd and witty personality,and that alone makes him funny. Compare it to Ash and now you are talking about a whole different person,dumbfounded and no real personality(and he made tons of corny references in the first couple of seasons,blame 4Kids for that). And yes the japanese may have a different standard of children's shows there,but that makes it much more enjoyable because they don't have to tell bad puns to make people laugh,the overall comedy in the dialogue makes it just plain funny. Sure no one that understands japanese(I don't) will find probably never understand the funny part of that dialogue,but you can still figure out it was funny. And yes,you can reference that the dub is targeted for 5-12 year olds(I totally agree on that),but the point is the people that were 5 or 10 yrs old back in 98 when it first started want better dialouge and a little
    more exitement(which the dub can't provide).

My final say on this....the older people that started on the first season should plunge into the jap series. The younger group should stay with the dub if they are happy with it. That's all i'm saying.
    Well spoken! Totally agree!

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    I think you people are too harsh on 4Kids. I think if they had the opportunity to make it basically an english translation of the japanese, they woudl, but you got to understand what's out there. There are parenst who wouldn't appreciate it, children who wouldn't get it, and then all you're left with is the hard core fans, and there aren't enough of those to make money. As I've heard many times, they aren't in the business to lose money. They need something that will appeal to a wider range of people than just the die hard fans.

Porygon

Banned
    Years
    Hmmm? personally, I perfer the idea of leaving a show the way it is when it's "dubbed," but? seeing as I have no way to dl Japanese subs [I have one comp with the speed to play them that's on dialup and one on DSL that's too slow for AVIs at any visible size], I have learned to enjoy the dub. Besides? I have a tendency to not much like anything different then the first version I've seen/heard? like being used to a live song and hearing it recorded just sounds weird, as the Japanese Pok?mon version no doubt would, with my being used to the dub.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    I think you people are too harsh on 4Kids. I think if they had the opportunity to make it basically an english translation of the japanese, they woudl, but you got to understand what's out there. There are parenst who wouldn't appreciate it, children who wouldn't get it, and then all you're left with is the hard core fans, and there aren't enough of those to make money. As I've heard many times, they aren't in the business to lose money. They need something that will appeal to a wider range of people than just the die hard fans.
    We aren't harsh on 4kids...

But we DEFINATELY HATE WARNABROS!!!!

Mandy-Chan

*~Candy Mandy~*
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jan 24, 2007
    Can't they don't show pokemon(other than the movies) on cartoon network in the U.S. any more.
    *~Mandy~*

Years
    Mandy said:
    Can't they don't show pokemon(other than the movies) on cartoon network in the U.S. any more.
    *~Mandy~*

It's not that CN can't show Pok?mon anymore. Just the fact that they're in it for the money, I heard. (playing Pok?mon only on summer time since most viewers watch it then. CURSE THEM!!!) Also, they've only shown the first three Pok?mon movies as well as Pok?mon: Jirachi Wish Maker just last Friday (1/21/05.) Glad I recorded 'em all...
    *BTB, is that a statement or a question, Mandy?

Just to clarify things, all of us have our opinions about the dubs and un-dubbed. Me? I have no chance of ever downloading the Japanese episodes myself. (yay dial-up) After watching the series for years now, the American version has content that is suitible especially for kids around the age of 10, according to American standards. Reading reports on some Japanese episodes, I'm glad 4Kids fixed the problem before it could do damage. (still, curse 4Kids for introducing incredibly wierd animes on FoxBOX, now called 4Kids.tv)

Even when I can't download the episodes, I have friends who do. Comparing both versions, I can easily tell that the characters from the Japanese and American versions are completely different. They really don't have any comparisons other than physical appearence.

Speaking of which, there's actual blood in the show?

I don't know if WB is to blame for any unsatisfaction towards Pok?mon since 4Kids is the company that translates it, I think.

Back