• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the WB show any good anymore?

Mandy-Chan

*~Candy Mandy~*
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jan 24, 2007
    dqle said:
    It's not that CN can't show Pok?mon anymore. Just the fact that they're in it for the money, I heard. (playing Pok?mon only on summer time since most viewers watch it then. CURSE THEM!!!) Also, they've only shown the first three Pok?mon movies as well as Pok?mon: Jirachi Wish Maker just last Friday (1/21/05.) Glad I recorded 'em all...
    *BTB, is that a statement or a question, Mandy?

cold_katanagirl said that if we wanted to watch the Kanto and Johto episodes then we could just watch it on Cartoon network. I was just mentioning that it doesn't show the shows on C.N. any more. They're showing them during the summer? I wish they showed it all year round,ah well.
    *~Mandy~*

Arigeitsu159

Meh...
    Years
    Well, I've always believed if you're going to whine and cry about the dubbed version, do everyone a favor and stop watching it. That way you can spare the rest of us from enduring your complaining.

Last edited:

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
    As a matter of fact I don't even watch the dubs(duh....if my sig. is not enough evidence),but I still have a right to complain about it. People have their own opinions on things,sometimes they'll side with you and sometimes they don't. Then,you have things like this comparing two things,some people will side with one,some will side with the other. Then we have an arguement such as this one. Sure,its alright to argue,but there should be something going off in your head that says "OK,thats enough disscusion on this topic",but some people keep adding fuel to the fire and it gets to a point that you can't control it anymore. Thats how I see it

Arigeitsu159

Meh...
    Years
    TSS_Killer said:
    As a matter of fact I don't even watch the dubs(duh....if my sig. is not enough evidence),but I still have a right to complain about it. People have their own opinions on things,sometimes they'll side with you and sometimes they don't. Then,you have things like this comparing two things,some people will side with one,some will side with the other. Then we have an arguement such as this one. Sure,its alright to argue,but there should be something going off in your head that says "OK,thats enough disscusion on this topic",but some people keep adding fuel to the fire and it gets to a point that you can't control it anymore. Thats how I see it

Yes, you have the right to complain, but people get sick and tired of hearing the same old song and dance arguments that accompany the complaints. When people start coming up with other reasons why the Japanese version is (perhaps) better than the dubbed version other than it caters to a more "mature" audience and certain things aren't cut out, maybe I'll actually give it some thought.

After watching a few dubbed episodes, I found nothing terribly fascinating about them. But just because I didn't enjoy them as much as the dubbed version doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and complain I didn't think it wasn't as good over and over again. I think the this post originally posted by Blue somes this up well:

Blue said:
    Both versions of the show were targeted towards the same audience...so I don't know what you're talking about. I've seen a good number of both versions and there really ain't that big of a diffrence. The most an episode gets cut out in America is maybe a few seconds and that's purely a time edit.

Really Pokemon is and always has been and always shall be a kid's TV show. Japan or America the show is a kid's TV show, the "mature" level it has in the Japanese version is about normal for Japanese children... But like I said, both versions of the show are more or less THE SAME THING.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    TSS_Killer said:
    Ok, here's your one huge flaw in the cheesey disloge argument. Simply put, American and Japanese cultures are vastly different, what you think is cool and better then the dub version is ungodly cheesey to the Japanese. And they do use a lot of media jokes in Japanese pokemon, one I can remember being cut:

"Use ember Torchic"
    Mushroom flies by

Do you have any idea how hard that joke would be to do in English? Like I said, the Japanese version is just as cheesey the the Japanese as the English version is to you. You say Satoshi is 'witty, and weird'. That's a very simillary personality to his English counterpart once you play in the culture refrences. Most of your argument just seems to be on the biased that English stuff is going to suck and be lackluster when it seems you obviously haven't taken the time to realize both shows play to the same demographic, but both demographics have their differences and alikenesses.

And hateing WB gains nothing, 4kids dubs it, 4kids owns it, all they do is rent the show to WB.

Years
    BLUE said:
    "Use ember Torchic"
    Mushroom flies by
    Um, May said amber the first time, not ember. Of course, I'm just saying this when she did use the command the first time, and I don't know if that's the incident that you're talking about, BLUE

I really don't know if Ash is witty at all. From the way I look at it, he's just plain thick-skulled at some situations. To me, Ash and Satoshi are vastly different characters. I really can't go into detail as I mentioned that I only have dial-up.

I think that both versions are basically the same. They just added a few things here and there in the dubs which 4Kids deem appropriate. Thing is, they'd better finish what they've started. (especially with Ash and Misty) To end the series without resolving the issues (that one in particular) would just kill me.

And yes, it seems that CN is only playing Pok?mon during the summer time in America. Curse their marketing ways!!!

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Blue said:
    Ok, here's your one huge flaw in the cheesey disloge argument. Simply put, American and Japanese cultures are vastly different, what you think is cool and better then the dub version is ungodly cheesey to the Japanese. And they do use a lot of media jokes in Japanese pokemon, one I can remember being cut:

"Use ember Torchic"
    Mushroom flies by

Do you have any idea how hard that joke would be to do in English? Like I said, the Japanese version is just as cheesey the the Japanese as the English version is to you. You say Satoshi is 'witty, and weird'. That's a very simillary personality to his English counterpart once you play in the culture refrences. Most of your argument just seems to be on the biased that English stuff is going to suck and be lackluster when it seems you obviously haven't taken the time to realize both shows play to the same demographic, but both demographics have their differences and alikenesses.

And hateing WB gains nothing, 4kids dubs it, 4kids owns it, all they do is rent the show to WB.
    Really!?
    So 4kids is the actual plank?

Years
    I don't know what you mean by 'plank' but I'm pretty sure that Pok?mon is currently translated and managed by 4Kids Productions. WB just basically asks 4Kids for rights to show the show. If anyone's to blame for the bad dubbing (which I don't know about), it's 4Kids. Personally, I think they're doing a good job.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    dqle said:
    I don't know what you mean by 'plank' but I'm pretty sure that Pok?mon is currently translated and managed by 4Kids Productions. WB just basically asks 4Kids for rights to show the show. If anyone's to blame for the bad dubbing (which I don't know about), it's 4Kids. Personally, I think they're doing a good job.
    Ah, so I have to blame 4kids for the horrid translating!

Was it WB or 4kids that cut scenes or ban episodes? And edit episodes?

Years
    Horrid? I'm sorry, but I can't accept that term, at least for Pok?mon. I can tolerate that small flame, but if you want incredibly bad translations, try watching 'Dual Masters'. Trust me. That's THE worst dubbed series in the world!!!

Like Blue said before, 4Kids practically makes what Pok?mon... Pok?mon. Translations, voice actors, episode editing. Just about everything. However, episode banning I think is managed by WB. Since 4Kids already dubbed the episodes, it would be odd to think that they would pull out their hard work on translating and performing it. I believe that WB bans the episodes, all of it because of American standards. Episode cutting is probably managed by WB as well for our standards or just to fit the show in it's assigned time slot.

Plank?

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    dqle said:
    Horrid? I'm sorry, but I can't accept that term, at least for Pok?mon. I can tolerate that small flame, but if you want incredibly bad translations, try watching 'Dual Masters'. Trust me. That's THE worst dubbed series in the world!!!

Like Blue said before, 4Kids practically makes what Pok?mon... Pok?mon. Translations, voice actors, episode editing. Just about everything. However, episode banning I think is managed by WB. Since 4Kids already dubbed the episodes, it would be odd to think that they would pull out their hard work on translating and performing it. I believe that WB bans the episodes, all of it because of American standards. Episode cutting is probably managed by WB as well for our standards or just to fit the show in it's assigned time slot.

Plank?
    If Dual Master is worse, I'll call it terrible, whilest pokemon being horrible.

Thanks for your answer ^^

Right...my needle now points to WB instead of 4kids!!! \"/#
    Ban ban ban, ban ban ban,ban ban ban ban ban...\"/######

Years
    I forgot to mention that the channels that show Pok?mon bans or shortens the episodes, not just Kids WB. Obviously, they don't want to show banned episodes for fear of major lawsuits against them. This applies to the one where Japanese kids had siezures (that's how Pok?mon got popular at first...), when James wore an artificial women's.... you know, with Jynx in it (CURSE WEATHERFORD!!!!!!!), where Brock got sick and had the symptoms similar to S.A.R.S., and a few others. For a listing of the banned episodes, visit https://www.tvtome.com/Pokemon/eplist.html. Of course, these are only the English versions...

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    I don't think Carole Boston Weatherford should be blaimed for the whole thing.

Afterall, WB and 4kids do have responsibility on this.

It is just NOT a single person's fault.

Years
    Personally, I watched the old Pokemon shows, and I thought they were much funnier than they are now. For example, in Episode 9, "The School of Hard Knocks", Brock offers Ash some prune juice, and Ash replies, "I think I'll pass". I quit watching the show some time around Jhoto Journeys, but since I hear that the series is getting better, I'll give the series another shot.

I have never seen any of the Japanese Pokemon episodes before. Is there a Pokemon DVD that I can import? I'm really curious as to how the Japanese version is...

Oh... Another thing is, I heard that they banned the Jynx episode because the Americans felt that it was a stereotype against black people, since their skin was black, and therefore, they cut out all scenes with a Jynx in it, and since that particular episode was nothing but about Jynx, they eradicated the whole episode all together.

Years
    Vibes said:
    Oh... Another thing is, I heard that they banned the Jynx episode because the Americans felt that it was a stereotype against black people, since their skin was black, and therefore, they cut out all scenes with a Jynx in it, and since that particular episode was nothing but about Jynx, they eradicated the whole episode all together.
    That episode, my friend, is EXACTLY the episode Weatherford got banned, as well as the following episode. Not the Americans. All Weatherford's fault. I seriously can't fathom ANYBODY giving crap about a children's series where young kids don't understand such an issue, especially when Japan has absolutely no problem on that issue.

Weatherford made an essay (who writes those, anyways???) explaining how Jynx resembles a character before and during WWII. That character apparently represented discrimination towards African-Americans. Therefore, stations started banning the two episodes that involved Jynx in it. If I remember correctly, there's absolutely no signs of racial descrimination in those episodes. Only because a creature resembles a race doesn't make it a discriminator of any sort.

It's hard for me to hate anybody, but Weatherford crosses the line by far. [highlight]I HATE HER GUTS!!![/highlight]

Oh, and welcome aboard, Vibes!

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    dqle said:
    That episode, my friend, is EXACTLY the episode Weatherford got banned, as well as the following episode. Not the Americans. All Weatherford's fault. I seriously can't fathom ANYBODY giving crap about a children's series where young kids don't understand such an issue, especially when Japan has absolutely no problem on that issue.

Weatherford made an essay (who writes those, anyways???) explaining how Jynx resembles a character before and during WWII. That character apparently represented discrimination towards African-Americans. Therefore, stations started banning the two episodes that involved Jynx in it. If I remember correctly, there's absolutely no signs of racial descrimination in those episodes. Only because a creature resembles a race doesn't make it a discriminator of any sort.

It's hard for me to hate anybody, but Weatherford crosses the line by far. [highlight]I HATE HER GUTS!!![/highlight]

Oh, and welcome aboard, Vibes!
    In that case, "Calorie Bastard Weathering-food" is really the vile amongst all creatures+twisted of all beings!!

Ok, you think that Pokemon is offensive, DON'T WATCH POKEMON! as simple as that!

Now now, first she wrote a NEWS PAPER ARTICLE--I mean, can't you just send a letter to Nintendo and say "er, i think that this character is offensive!" ?

Now she banned Jynx--Excuse me, if Pokemon is really THAT offensive, then don't watch it! =.= Why do you have to ban it? Wasting your time?
    Or, do you think you don't have enough to do? You aren't very rich, get a few more jobs would be better off for you than wasting your time writing silly stuff like "Politically Incorrect Pokemon"!

Back