• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the XY Anime worth Watching?

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
  • I am definitely a fan of the XY series, trailing only the Sinnoh and Kanto sagas, with plenty of time to surpass them with a whole other season left. As some have said already I too enjoy watching each and every episode even the "filler" ones. The battles are also much improved in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Yes it is they took away everything that BW did which ruined the series and evolved what DP did :)

Rather have that over the soulless Team Rocket from BW

BW/XY never ruin the anime because the anime has already been ruin by both AG/DP anime. XY has already surpass Sinnoh as being the best anime since Kanto.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    BW/XY never ruin the anime because the anime has already been ruin by both AG/DP anime. XY has already surpass Sinnoh as being the best anime since Kanto.

That is bull and you know it. The majority of fans loved DP and hated BW. And we can't say XY is better when it is not over. For all we know XY could go down the train in the next few months. It is fine if you dislike DP but don't ignore the facts. When the majority enjoyed DP and find it the best so far and BW the worst you can't say your opinion is right and ignore the facts that the majority of fans have spoken. That would be like saying FF7 is a bad game just because you dislike it when the majority love it.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I'm not up to date with the current series but so far I really like the characters and the animation. I've found the anime hard to get into for a long while but I can binge X/Y.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Are you serious or are you just trolling here? Just in case you really mean this, let me remind you that not only BW is hated by fans, as Nekaku already mentioned, but many had (and some still have) dislike for Johto as well.
    In Kanto, Ash was unskilled trainer who got his first two badges without winning them. But then, he got more confident and won legally the other badges and made it on decent place in his first Pokémon League Tournament. Then he beat Orange Crew as well, which is something too. In Johto, they decided he was too strong and toned down his Pokémon roster significantly. Honestly, the only decent Pokémon he had were Bayleaf and Noctowl and in the end, it was his Kanto team that battled most of his matches in Johto League Tournament. On top of that, Misty and Brock had nothing much to do in that series. So, they decided to change things in Hoenn and Sinnoh. True, they still regressed his team with letting him start with just Pikachu, but Ash himself was no more novice, that tittle got to May and Dawn respectively. However, in BW, they not only regressed his team with only Pikachu, but they also regressed Ash himself to a novice, pretty much throwing all of his small character development away. And on top of that, the new cast had nothing much to do, just like in Johto. They pretty much mixed the wost of Kanto and Johto, with nothing good from them getting to the mix. I am really glad they did not do that in XY.

Dman10062

Breeder-In-Training
    Years
  • I have not watched the anime in a long time up until recently when I started watching Pokemon XY on Netflix. I was actually a little hesitant to start rewatching it because to me, the anime has seemed to become a little cliched in the past few years. However, when I started watching XY, I was rather impressed. What I like about XY is that the relationship between Serena and Ash seems very similar to that of the first season with Misty and Ash. While they have carried some of the same old cliches throughout the series (aka, Team Rocket 'blasting off' every single episode, Ash not recognizing Team Rocket even though a one year old could tell the difference), I do think that at least the XY series is worth watching.

Years
  • While some episodes, such as that known in Englilsh as 'Showdown at Shalour Gym,' might be interesting and worth watching, the direction that the anime is going is increasingly slightly directionless and showy, and you'd probably wish to skip the performance episodes and such, and generally most of the episodes between gyms and possibly the gym battles as well. They're sort of relying on 'foreign' characters like Alain for interest at this point. You sort of wonder if Team Rocket shouldn't just take the Pikachu and end things by now, honestly.

What I like about XY is that the relationship between Serena and Ash seems very similar to that of the first season with Misty and Ash.
    Really? Generally Serena seems a lot more mild and focussed around shipping, etc., as well as having a lesser interest in Pokémon battles, while Misty was quite different. In addition, weirdly, Ash is apparently attracted as a character to, for instance, Valerie or perhaps Miette, but not Serena, which means that you do actually have some sort of haphazard romantic tale going on there, as opposed to the earlier series were such things didn't come up as often. You might say that Serena is a bit like May, except if Drew was also Ash.

Which seems like a weird result of Teddiursa voodoo, but anyway.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Are you serious or are you just trolling here? Just in case you really mean this, let me remind you that not only BW is hated by fans, as Nekaku already mentioned, but many had (and some still have) dislike for Johto as well.
    In Kanto, Ash was unskilled trainer who got his first two badges without winning them. But then, he got more confident and won legally the other badges and made it on decent place in his first Pokémon League Tournament. Then he beat Orange Crew as well, which is something too. In Johto, they decided he was too strong and toned down his Pokémon roster significantly. Honestly, the only decent Pokémon he had were Bayleaf and Noctowl and in the end, it was his Kanto team that battled most of his matches in Johto League Tournament. On top of that, Misty and Brock had nothing much to do in that series. So, they decided to change things in Hoenn and Sinnoh. True, they still regressed his team with letting him start with just Pikachu, but Ash himself was no more novice, that tittle got to May and Dawn respectively. However, in BW, they not only regressed his team with only Pikachu, but they also regressed Ash himself to a novice, pretty much throwing all of his small character development away. And on top of that, the new cast had nothing much to do, just like in Johto. They pretty much mixed the wost of Kanto and Johto, with nothing good from them getting to the mix. I am really glad they did not do that in XY.

I'll give you Sinnoh and how May and Dawn were clearly rookies in those series. However, I'd argue Hoenn was Ash's second-worst turnout in the overall anime (second only to BW), considering that he didn't even increase in rank with a firm demonstration that he actually DID get stronger (say what you will about Johto, at least Ash actually did demonstrably better there than in Kanto, his immediate prior region barring the Orange Islands), not to mention even at the end of AG, to say little about DP, treated his Battle Frontier win, his only major accomplishment throughout the entirety of AG, as a joke, where they had Ash losing to Gary despite the latter being retired from Pokémon Training, losing to Paul's Elekid and Ursaring in two non-consecutive battles, and to the first gym leader (which was the first time since Brock that Ash EVER lost to the first gym leader of a region), even though his Pikachu up and out took down a REGICE with minimal effort. Oh, and the Gym Leaders for Hoenn, Roxanne and Brawley aside, were utter crap, almost as bad as Jessie James and Meowth in Episode 3.

Also, I really wouldn't say Misty did nothing in Johto, considering she did save that Marill, fought for Totodile, participated in the Whirl Cup, told off that hot-headed fire type trainer, helped out that Heracross that Ash later captured, among others. Even Brock who did less than expected especially when Gen II introduced breeding, at least had his moments like with that Stantler.

So far as XY, it's better than AG or BW, but I really wouldn't say it even reaches DP's level, to say little about the Original Series. Not to mention, the ratings stink for the show right now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    The fact Ash placed the same in Hoenn League doesn't mean he didn't progress. Especially regarding his Pokémon team, in which he had Swellow, Torkoal, Glalie and Sceptile, four fully evolved Pokémon, with only one being caught evolved (and that's only because it's one-stage Pokémon). Compare this to his Johto team and tell me again it's not progress. I agree with you, however, that the end of BF was wrong.
    I personally actually liked how he lost to first Gym Leader in Sinnoh. That was reminder to him (and to us) that leaving your powerhouses behind and start new region with newly caught Pokémon, is not right thing to do. Too bad Ash did not catch that lesson, however {XD} BTW, that same thing happened in Kalos and I liked it there too. And the loses to Paul actually served the same purpose, plus to show what a badass Paul is.
    I said Misty had nothing MUCH to do. True, she had her moment, but for most of Johto, she was in the background with Ash being the only real hero. And that's the same thing that was wrong with BW, though, arguably, it was even worse there since Misty and Brock at least had some small character development in Johto, while Iris and Cilan had none through the whole BW.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017

Well to be honest Johto was meant to be a sequel to Kanto which explains why we saw so many old classic Kanto Pokemon. His Johto team did in fact got to battle right along side his Kanto team in the Johto League Touranment. Misty and Brock both got to battle a lot more in Johto then they did in Kanto, it's not like they didn't do anything at all in Johto.

All of AG/DP treated Ash's wins like a joke, he lost to Paul more then one time when he should have been able to win against him, he shouldn't have been losing to any of the Sinnoh Gym Leaders especially since he just got through winning the Battle frontier and almost became the Frontier Brain if he haven't decline it.

XY so far has been much better then AG, DP and BW, the animation has improved a whole lot and the episodes has been great so far.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    AG and DP treated Ash's wins as a joke? I am afraid I don't understand you here. Majority of Ash's loses in DP (and most in AG) were deserved, especially those against Paul, where Ash allowed his emotions to take over him, while Paul stayed cool, which was actually a lesson writers wanted to give kids watching the show, but obviously some did not get it. But what is most important, is that it actually served to develop Ash as showed on the fact he was able to beat Legendary Pokémon at the end of Sinnoh.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    AG and DP treated Ash's wins as a joke? I am afraid I don't understand you here. Majority of Ash's loses in DP (and most in AG) were deserved, especially those against Paul, where Ash allowed his emotions to take over him, while Paul stayed cool, which was actually a lesson writers wanted to give kids watching the show, but obviously some did not get it. But what is most important, is that it actually served to develop Ash as showed on the fact he was able to beat Legendary Pokémon at the end of Sinnoh.

I view things in terms of mathematics. In other words, if Pikachu is capable of basically taking out a Legendary Pokémon such as Regice, he most CERTAINLY can take out Electivire, Elekid, and Ursaring with minimum effort (and I would have forgiven his loss against Paul if Pikachu at LEAST lost to Torterra, since that's his closest equal in terms of experience). Think along the lines of Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z, one of the kinds of stories where the character's increase in power actually REMAINED constant.

And as far as Hoenn, no, if it's progression, you actually NEED to have an increase in rank. If you do the same as before, you DON'T progress at all. Think the Rocky movies, or heck, practically any underdog movie. You need to do a LOT better than before, and the only measurable way of doing that is a rank increase. True, it was better than Unova, but then again, ANYTHING is better than Unova.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017

Well if he was able to take down a Legendary Pokemon, then he should of been able to take down Paul's Pokemon without any kind of problems. In AG he didn't progress that much as a Pokemon trainer, he stay the same rank, making his wins in Hoenn a total joke. Even though Unova might not have been perfect atleast he did got to battle a lot more in The Don Tournamens. To me AG was far worser then BW, Unova was a lot more better then Hoenn.

XY anime has been far better then AG, hopefully he will increase in rank during the Kalos League, because i don't want another repeat of Hoenn or Sinnoh.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    If Pokémon battles are all you see in Pokémon Anime, then I understand your opinions, Piks. But for me, Pokémon Anime is not only about battles and how many of them Ash had in that region. The reason why Ash battled more in BW then in AG and DP was, because there was nothing else to do in BW, as oppose to AG and DP, which had Contests. And those add something new and interesting for characters to do and us to watch, which is yet another reason why AG and DP are better series then BW, who was only focused on Ash and his battles, but, unfortunately, even on that front, it failed.

I view things in terms of mathematics. In other words, if Pikachu is capable of basically taking out a Legendary Pokémon such as Regice, he most CERTAINLY can take out Electivire, Elekid, and Ursaring with minimum effort (and I would have forgiven his loss against Paul if Pikachu at LEAST lost to Torterra, since that's his closest equal in terms of experience). Think along the lines of Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z, one of the kinds of stories where the character's increase in power actually REMAINED constant.

And as far as Hoenn, no, if it's progression, you actually NEED to have an increase in rank. If you do the same as before, you DON'T progress at all. Think the Rocky movies, or heck, practically any underdog movie. You need to do a LOT better than before, and the only measurable way of doing that is a rank increase. True, it was better than Unova, but then again, ANYTHING is better than Unova.
    There are more things to measure trainer in Pokémon Anime than just his place in League tournement. Ash's team in Hoenn was much better then previously, which also shows his abilities as trainers. And even though he placed the same in Heonn League, he beat Battle Frontier, something that only few trainers did, as shown in the example of Paul's brother. As I said before, I agree that loss with Electivire was wrong, and to a degree, even that loss to Elekid. Not Ursaring, though, that one was deserved. But Pokémon is not Dragon Ball and as I said, I watch Pokémon for different things then just battles and how much Ash progressed. And Pokémon Anime also is not RPG, it's more like real life, where even masters can make mistakes for which they'll pay. Which I think is something Pokémon Anime is trying to teach kids, but maybe, I am giving writers too much credit here.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    If Pokémon battles are all you see in Pokémon Anime, then I understand your opinions, Piks. But for me, Pokémon Anime is not only about battles and how many of them Ash had in that region. The reason why Ash battled more in BW then in AG and DP was, because there was nothing else to do in BW, as oppose to AG and DP, which had Contests. And those add something new and interesting for characters to do and us to watch, which is yet another reason why AG and DP are better series then BW, who was only focused on Ash and his battles, but, unfortunately, even on that front, it failed.

Quite frankly, I felt the contests really should NEVER have been included in the Anime in the first place, not unless they depict them exactly like how the games depicted them (being a few episodes at best, a side quest that doesn't even lead to the ending of the games, NOT essentially a Pokémon League equivalent for girls). It was a bad decision back then, compounded by the rather pointless, even by girl replacement standards, replacement of May for Dawn just to have her reuse May's goal, with the only REAL distinction being that unlike May, Dawn wanted to be a coordinator from the start.

There are more things to measure trainer in Pokémon Anime than just his place in League tournement. Ash's team in Hoenn was much better then previously, which also shows his abilities as trainers. And even though he placed the same in Heonn League, he beat Battle Frontier, something that only few trainers did, as shown in the example of Paul's brother. As I said before, I agree that loss with Electivire was wrong, and to a degree, even that loss to Elekid. Not Ursaring, though, that one was deserved. But Pokémon is not Dragon Ball and as I said, I watch Pokémon for different things then just battles and how much Ash progressed. And Pokémon Anime also is not RPG, it's more like real life, where even masters can make mistakes for which they'll pay. Which I think is something Pokémon Anime is trying to teach kids, but maybe, I am giving writers too much credit here.

Hey, I agree that there's more to Pokémon than just the battles. That's even why I got outright irritated with how people complained about Togepi or how they "didn't do anything" in Johto as if battles are the only thing that are in existence to the series (and personally, I blame that attitude on how several basic Pokémon get severely overpowered, like May's Eevee, or May's Squirtle, or Dawn's Piplup, etc., etc.). But AG was definitely sub-par, even you have to admit that (The gym leaders if anything were treated like Jessie James and Meowth were in Ash Catches a Pokémon regarding Caterpie, which was tasteless especially in light of the reason Misty ended up being forced to leave Ash. The only exceptions were Roxanne and Brawley, since the former at least lost to Pikachu, and the latter Ash had to fight twice due to rookies. Honestly, at least have all the Gym Leaders be like Lt. Surge per episode, at least THAT would be impressive). And quite frankly, if they want to show someone actually improving, the BEST way is to actually SHOW a rank increase. That's even why DP having Ash actually get to Top 4 was rightly treated as a big deal.

And as far as the bit with Pikachu and Ursaring, they should have just had Ash lose to Torterra, at least THAT Pokémon was closer to Pikachu's level, rather than Ursaring who was LITERALLY caught early into DP. That would communicate that even masters make mistakes WITHOUT making Ash look pathetic as a result, actually GIVE him an understandable loss and mention the mistake WITHOUT making Ash as pathetic as Jessie James and Meowth in Ash Catches a Pokémon.

Years
  • I personally like it. I started watching the last few episodes of X&Y and I"m currently watching X, Y & Z. If I was watching the dub, I don't think I could do it, but I'm watching the Japanese version with subs and I find it's not as dumbed down as the English version.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Quite frankly, I felt the contests really should NEVER have been included in the Anime in the first place, not unless they depict them exactly like how the games depicted them (being a few episodes at best, a side quest that doesn't even lead to the ending of the games, NOT essentially a Pokémon League equivalent for girls). It was a bad decision back then, compounded by the rather pointless, even by girl replacement standards, replacement of May for Dawn just to have her reuse May's goal, with the only REAL distinction being that unlike May, Dawn wanted to be a coordinator from the start.
    As much as I agree with you about Dawn, I really have to disagree with you about Contests being too girly. We saw many boys in Contests, including four main rivals, Drew, Harley (though he being gay stereotype was actually bad example here), Kenny and Nando, the latter even doing both Contests and Gyms, without any problems. And I rather not talk about Wallace, former Gym Leader and Champion. Heck, we even saw Ash, the main battler of the anime, doing three contests (though one unofficial). Now, Pokémon Showcase is a whole different thing and I will be happy to never see them in anime after XY again. But I rather not start rambling about it here.

Hey, I agree that there's more to Pokémon than just the battles. That's even why I got outright irritated with how people complained about Togepi or how they "didn't do anything" in Johto as if battles are the only thing that are in existence to the series (and personally, I blame that attitude on how several basic Pokémon get severely overpowered, like May's Eevee, or May's Squirtle, or Dawn's Piplup, etc., etc.). But AG was definitely sub-par, even you have to admit that (The gym leaders if anything were treated like Jessie James and Meowth were in Ash Catches a Pokémon regarding Caterpie, which was tasteless especially in light of the reason Misty ended up being forced to leave Ash. The only exceptions were Roxanne and Brawley, since the former at least lost to Pikachu, and the latter Ash had to fight twice due to rookies. Honestly, at least have all the Gym Leaders be like Lt. Surge per episode, at least THAT would be impressive). And quite frankly, if they want to show someone actually improving, the BEST way is to actually SHOW a rank increase. That's even why DP having Ash actually get to Top 4 was rightly treated as a big deal.

And as far as the bit with Pikachu and Ursaring, they should have just had Ash lose to Torterra, at least THAT Pokémon was closer to Pikachu's level, rather than Ursaring who was LITERALLY caught early into DP. That would communicate that even masters make mistakes WITHOUT making Ash look pathetic as a result, actually GIVE him an understandable loss and mention the mistake WITHOUT making Ash as pathetic as Jessie James and Meowth in Ash Catches a Pokémon.
    At first, you say you hate overpowered Pokémon, but then you complained about the most overpowered Pokémon in the anime, Ash's Pikachu, losing some battles. I am not sure I understand you anymore, man.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    As much as I agree with you about Dawn, I really have to disagree with you about Contests being too girly. We saw many boys in Contests, including four main rivals, Drew, Harley (though he being gay stereotype was actually bad example here), Kenny and Nando, the latter even doing both Contests and Gyms, without any problems. And I rather not talk about Wallace, former Gym Leader and Champion. Heck, we even saw Ash, the main battler of the anime, doing three contests (though one unofficial). Now, Pokémon Showcase is a whole different thing and I will be happy to never see them in anime after XY again. But I rather not start rambling about it here.

My point was that they shouldn't have included Pokémon Contests at the capacity they did. As far as it essentially being a Pokémon League for girls, bear in mind that both May and Dawn ARE girls, they didn't participate in Gyms, let alone leagues, so regardless of any guys are actually competing, they are essentially for girls. At least the Manga actually tried some differentiation with Ruby being a coordinator. To put it another way, what would you say if the show decided to make... creating hidden bases from Generation III an actual series-long goal? That it would be pointless? Well, the Contests are the same thing, since ultimately they AREN'T something you actually need to do to get to the ending.

At first, you say you hate overpowered Pokémon, but then you complained about the most overpowered Pokémon in the anime, Ash's Pikachu, losing some battles. I am not sure I understand you anymore, man.

Pikachu being OP at least actually HAD a point to the story (heck, it's why Team Rocket essentially tailed Ash and Co. for quite some time now, and even in Episode 1 it was implied to not be any ordinary Pikachu). The others didn't, and quite frankly, OP or not, having any veteran Pokémon lose to a rookie reflects BADLY on it. Pikachu is no exception.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    My point was that they shouldn't have included Pokémon Contests at the capacity they did. As far as it essentially being a Pokémon League for girls, bear in mind that both May and Dawn ARE girls, they didn't participate in Gyms, let alone leagues, so regardless of any guys are actually competing, they are essentially for girls. At least the Manga actually tried some differentiation with Ruby being a coordinator. To put it another way, what would you say if the show decided to make... creating hidden bases from Generation III an actual series-long goal? That it would be pointless? Well, the Contests are the same thing, since ultimately they AREN'T something you actually need to do to get to the ending.
    But Pokémon Anime is meant to promote games, not to blindly follow them. We had breeder before they introduced it in Gen II and even after that, Anime still treats breeding differently than what games are doing. We had watcher, which is not present in any game to this date. We had Pokémon unobtainable in that region to be seen or even caught. We have Anime-exclusive Pokémon Showcase. And I rather not talk about how much different Battle Frontier was in Anime from the ones in games. Contests are yet another great example of things Anime writers took from games and expanded significantly for us to watch something different than just the usual battling. And that was, IMO, their biggest contribution to the show and biggest loss when they decided to retire them in BW. Yes, I agree it was something for the main girl to follow, but Ash is boy, main hero and battler, so he has to have girl to gender-balance it (honestly, I doubt anyone would be happy with boys-only main cast) and than it is great for the main girl to have something to do than simply be there as Misty and Iris were. And then it is better to expand something already presented in games and make it enjoyable for show audience (or at least part of it), than make up anime-only Miss-like show and give it fleshy name (TriPokalon in Japanese; Pokémon Showcase really is not that fleshy).

Pikachu being OP at least actually HAD a point to the story (heck, it's why Team Rocket essentially tailed Ash and Co. for quite some time now, and even in Episode 1 it was implied to not be any ordinary Pikachu). The others didn't, and quite frankly, OP or not, having any veteran Pokémon lose to a rookie reflects BADLY on it. Pikachu is no exception.
    Now, I have to go against you once again, since I feel the only point Pikachu being overpowered was for TR trio to have reason to follow ten years old boy without it being too creepy. Though I understand the rest of your point and I think you are right here.

Back