• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] Is there any way to increase the number of palettes for custom tiles in Firered?

Ling888

appleman
Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    Hi! I apologise if this is a stupid question; I've only started romhacking this week.

Just a question regarding the number of palettes in FR, I know that 0-6 are reserved by the game and so the only ones we can modify when inserting new tiles are 7-12.

My understanding of this is that all the custom tiles I insert have to fit within five palettes, and I also have to sort them individually by which palette they are, which would be kinda time-consuming. Is this correct? If it is, is there an easier way to insert a number of new palettes and/or sort tiles into palettes?

I've seen other hacks that have a stupidly vast number of custom tiles that they use, and I'm just amazed at how they do that. Is there any easier way to insert a bunch of custom tiles?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my newbishness!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Palettes 0-6 are reserved for the primary tileset while 7-12 are reserved for the secondary tileset. Each tileset has its own set of palettes so you can use more palettes by using multiple tilesets.

Editing palettes and assigning them to tiles is something you have to do manually.

Years
    • Seen today
    @Ling888

Just a question regarding the number of palettes in FR, I know that 0-6 are reserved by the game and so the only ones we can modify when inserting new tiles are 7-12.

As Anon822 already mentioned palettes 0-6 are connected to the primary tileset, while palettes 7-12 are connected to the secondary tileset. Both the primary and secondary tilesets are perfectly editable.

My understanding of this is that all the custom tiles I insert have to fit within five palettes, and I also have to sort them individually by which palette they are, which would be kinda time-consuming. Is this correct? If it is, is there an easier way to insert a number of new palettes and/or sort tiles into palettes?

In the vanilla games there are lots of tilesets that can be used as secondary tileset, so you have much more tilesets and palettes to work with than the five you mention. On every map you can only have one primary and one secondary tileset active at one time though.

Also, yes. Making tilesets with corresponding palettes is a very time consuming activity. As far as I know there is no way to sort tiles automatically to fit within a certain palettes. You need to do all of this manually for the best results.

I've seen other hacks that have a stupidly vast number of custom tiles that they use, and I'm just amazed at how they do that. Is there any easier way to insert a bunch of custom tiles?

No.

I'd also recommend checking out Anthroyd's Video Tutorial on Youtube concerning ''Deviating from Vanilla Tiles''. That will explain the basics of tileset editing;)

Good luck!

Ling888

appleman
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    @Ling888

As Anon822 already mentioned palettes 0-6 are connected to the primary tileset, while palettes 7-12 are connected to the secondary tileset. Both the primary and secondary tilesets are perfectly editable.

In the vanilla games there are lots of tilesets that can be used as secondary tileset, so you have much more tilesets and palettes to work with than the five you mention. On every map you can only have one primary and one secondary tileset active at one time though.

Also, yes. Making tilesets with corresponding palettes is a very time consuming activity. As far as I know there is no way to sort tiles automatically to fit within a certain palettes. You need to do all of this manually for the best results.

No.

I'd also recommend checking out Anthroyd's Video Tutorial on Youtube concerning ''Deviating from Vanilla Tiles''. That will explain the basics of tileset editing;)

Good luck!

Looks like I definitely have my work cut out for me then!

I have watched through the Anthroyd series as well, I must've watched that specific episode through twenty times before my slow ass could grasp it haha

Just a follow up if that's okay, I was thinking about changing up tiles in the primary outside tileset for Firered (e.g trees, pokemon center, water) so that I could access them across all the city maps. In that case, for these primary tiles I would have to only sort and fit them into specific palettes 0-6, right? As I understand it the vanilla game does that by default, grouping the 'green' (grass, trees) tiles in pal 0, rocks in pal 2, etc etc. I imagine I'd have to do something similar, and then change the respective palettes 0-6 for each map.

Thanks for the help!

Years
    • Seen today
    @Ling888

and then change the respective palettes 0-6 for each map

From what I understood, no. The palettes are connected to one particular tileset. If you use the same first tileset on every outside map (which is often the case), you only have to change palette 0-6 once in one occastion. Subsequently, the palette will be changed for every map that uses that same tileset.

Back