• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Is there any way to modify a patch from a hack?

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    I don't want to reupload a hack or anything like that I just want to modify a hack for my own play style. I want to modify the hack just to change a few things that really bother me like some abilities and stats. If I put a patched rom into yape or a similar program it cant read it. If I patch a rom that I made the changes on the changes go away. Is there anything I can do about that or do I just have to deal with it?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    Well, that's because the ROM Hack tends to move tables that holds the information for Pokémon. You'd have to go on a Hex Editor, find the offset of the Pokémon table, go through the table and find more offsets that the program needs. This is because programs like G3HS utilizes .ini files and it reads directly from there. If the offsets in the .ini file don't match the ones in the patched file, then it won't read it. Unless of course, you ARE the maker of the hack, in which, those programs will self-modify its .ini files to the changes you made when making the hack... I think. Not too familiar with how exactly it works, so pardon the general explanation.

Unless you know how to properly search for byte strings in a Hex Editor (which is very easy to do), then you'll just have to deal with it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    Well, that's because the ROM Hack tends to move tables that holds the information for Pokémon. You'd have to go on a Hex Editor, find the offset of the Pokémon table, go through the table and find more offsets that the program needs. This is because programs like G3HS utilizes .ini files and it reads directly from there. If the offsets in the .ini file don't match the ones in the patched file, then it won't read it. Unless of course, you ARE the maker of the hack, in which, those programs will self-modify its .ini files to the changes you made when making the hack... I think. Not too familiar with how exactly it works, so pardon the general explanation.

Unless you know how to properly search for byte strings in a Hex Editor (which is very easy to do), then you'll just have to deal with it.
    So I have to use a hex editor with the patched version of whatever hack/game I'm using and edit the information of the pokemon there?

Back