• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is violence ever the answer?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Causing or supporting any form of violence leads to more violence, yes. But it's within some people's nature to be violent, unless we can somehow talk everyone into giving up violence then it will always be a necessary part of life. The sad truth is that our only hope of increasing peace within the world is making war so destructive that everyone knows it's best to avoid it (Cold War).

Scarf said:
    One thing that springs to mind is that the Allies could have agreed to a cease-fire and offered to take all the "undesirable" people from the Nazi's and let them live in the UK, America, etc. They could have said "Ya know, all that stuff we did to you after WWI? Yeah, sorry, our bad. Let us make it up to you." Not really ideal, but like I said, they had a lots of chances and blew them.
    Hitler was never going to stop no matter what happened or what agreements were made. Aka, Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact. It was either hand Europe over to the Nazis on a silver platter or declare war.

Years
    Hitler was never going to stop no matter what happened or what agreements were made. Aka, Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact. It was either hand Europe over to the Nazis on a silver platter or declare war.
    Don't wanna derail this into a WWII discussion, but if we had taken in all the Jews, etc. wouldn't that have taken some wind out of the sails of the Nazis? Couldn't it have been possible that some of the other high ups would then think "Gosh, we don't really need to go to war anymore" or something similar and then not been as supportive of Hitler?

All I'm saying is that historical events happened one way, and we might have a good idea how things could have happened if this or that had been different, but we can't know every possible outcome so we can't say something would always degenerate into violence.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    I believe that there is indeed a time for everything. Violence is not always the answer, as much as it can be the answer.

Diplomacy is an art, and violence should be avoided if possible, but sometimes, it is a truly necessary action. It is foolish to use it frivolously.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    In the case of a war such as World War II, Hitler, Stalin, etc, etc., I believe violence can be used in such cases, if trying to negotiate doesn't work.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
    Violence is a LAST RESORT option. If you had tried EVERY other option there is to stop a Person/Conflict/Thing/etc and NONE of them are working, go ahead, use Violence, but ONLY when you have NO OTHER OPTION.

Other than that, no, I don't think violence is neseccary, unless your OUT OF OPTIONS.

EDIT:

Oh, and by the way Dragon, you should know this. Soldiers fight wars.

It's the Diplomats that end them.

Back