• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Is Yellow the only thing keeping these Generations alive? (and other ramblings)

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    That would be pretty dumb, then you would have unnecessarily high Health fo the Level 100~ pokemon. Just imagine trying to take down something like a level 400 Blissy.

But I'm all for a Kanto/Johto/Hoenn game, Sinnoh could stay out though since it sucked.

Only reason why I said that was you need a challenge in the new region. L100 will be too easy by the time you get to Hoenn region the but L400 is a good workaround. With offers to raise one of your pokemon to L105 or L205 or L305 depending on what region you are. Like Jhoto L105 will be your starting point while the first wild pokemon will be L102 instead of L2 :)

Raibutai

Pixels and Pikachus. Bliss.
    Years
    Lots of Pikachu hate here. I always played Yellow; my brother played Blue. I didn't like how it was based off the anime, but overload of Pikachu + Surfing minigame made it for me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    yellow was better than red and blue but it will never be better than either gold or silver

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
    Ew, no. Personally, I hated Yellow. Pikachu following you was cool and all but it was f'd how it was so hard to beat Brock first time round.

Personally, the reason I still play my Silver game(Yes, I still have it and my old Gameboy Pocket and Gameboy Colour) is because it introduced a whole new region, my favourite one, the PokeGear, my favourite generation of Pokemon, ability to travel through two regions(the only non-remake game that allows this).

Despite being outdated, I still play it over and over. =3

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    I believe Nostalgia, not a single game that hasn't been remade yet, is keeping this generation "Alive". I dunno how you would keep a generation of games that's 14 years old alive though.

Anyway I own the cartridges and play them from time to time, not very often though. It does get old after a while.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2018
    I love yellow, but I definitely think red and blue keep that gen alive, I don't think yellow was as popular as red and blue and the original games are kind of iconic to pokemon.

Years
    I love yellow, but I definitely think red and blue keep that gen alive, I don't think yellow was as popular as red and blue and the original games are kind of iconic to pokemon.

Technically, by sales numbers, Yellow was considerably more popular. :\

I personally think it's the whole nostalgia factor that keeps this generation alive.

Ecstatic

Chilling out.
    Years
    It's not keeping them alive, but rather keeping them up there. It's definetly different from what we have nowadays, because, back then, what we have now, is what we had back then.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I love the first generation games' simple style.
    Although there are many bugs, they are not replacable.

SunStorm55

Old-School Trainer
    Years
    I think it is personal preference. Sure, Yellow is one of the more popular 1st and 2nd gen games, but many people just enjoy the older games more and that is why they play them. Although I must say, Yellow, being so different from Red and Blue, never really got a remake as Firered and Leafgreen went along the lines of Red and Blue much more then they did Yellow, so it could be, seeing as there never was any game similar to it in the future.

Back