• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Isshu's gone Unova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    I'll admit, when I first heard that "Isshu" was going to be renamed "Unova", I didn't like it. I'm not too fond of the starter's names either: Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott? Whaaaat?? Those names just don't sound quite right...like gibberish or something. :cer_confused: But after reading the name "Unova"' several times, I think it's grown on me. xD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Unova reminds me of something medical-related that I really can't bring up here on PC.

When I first heard the name last night, I didn't really like it. Then again, B/W are the first games that I followed since the beginning, so I'm so used to the Japanese names. Hearing the English names kind of threw me off a bit at first.

I'm getting used to it now. It just comes with time for the new names to sound normal. I'm sure once the English games are released, at least I will be using these new names with ease.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015

If you mean letter wise not really as Hoenn(H) and Johto (J) which come before Kanto (K)
    I not then what do you mean?

its not letter wise, its name wise Isshu is simple natural, & has a ton of puns involved with it lol

Unova... its got nova, which is a large star about to,or has exploded at the end of its life, which is basically saying its supposed to be better& on top, which frankly the graphics are awful, the overworld camera is absolutely awful in places like Sky Arrow Bridge, & Huinn City, not to mention, the games are awfully pixelated for a DS game,not to mention the back sprites are absolutely horrible.
    it looks worse than Heartgold&Soulsilver, the battle& pokemon improvements are the only good thing about Black&White (come fan boy&girls flame me, i welcome your blindness)
    Nova is big, bright, explosive, most things with nova are amazing, exc. but Black&White graphically are a HUGE disappointment compared to Heartgold&Soulsilver.
    on a gameplay note, its fontastic, which out weighs the horrible graphics i guess, but the 3rd version we will get in 1-3years has ALOT of graphical improvements to be made.

Isshu fits the region, its simplistic but still fontastic
    Unova doesnt fit, its trying too hard to emphasize on 1 place, Huinn City, which is the only "spectacular" part of Isshu, i personally found everywhere EXCEPT Huinn City brilliant, the camera in Huinn just pisses me off.

I laugh at all the English players who have to adjust now, thank god I'm Japanese.
    Anyway, Unova....meh, will always be イッシュ to me.

same here, except i dunno if im jap or not :P
    but i am studing the language :D

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    its not letter wise, its name wise Isshu is simple natural, & has a ton of puns involved with it lol

Unova... its got nova, which is a large star about to,or has exploded at the end of its life, which is basically saying its supposed to be better& on top, which frankly the graphics are awful, the overworld camera is absolutely awful in places like Sky Arrow Bridge, & Huinn City, not to mention, the games are awfully pixelated for a DS game,not to mention the back sprites are absolutely horrible.
    it looks worse than Heartgold&Soulsilver, the battle& pokemon improvements are the only good thing about Black&White (come fan boy&girls flame me, i welcome your blindness)
    Nova is big, bright, explosive, most things with nova are amazing, exc. but Black&White graphically are a HUGE disappointment compared to Heartgold&Soulsilver.
    on a gameplay note, its fontastic, which out weighs the horrible graphics i guess, but the 3rd version we will get in 1-3years has ALOT of graphical improvements to be made.

Isshu fits the region, its simplistic but still fontastic
    Unova doesnt fit, its trying too hard to emphasize on 1 place, Huinn City, which is the only "spectacular" part of Isshu, i personally found everywhere EXCEPT Huinn City brilliant, the camera in Huinn just pisses me off.

same here, except i dunno if im jap or not :P
    but i am studing the language :D
    Well Unova also has lots of puns like You Nova (you are a super star...) etc.

Years
    Lol well it can also mean Un- which sounds like the french word for one, together with Nova meaning One Nova, like I said before referencing to the powers of the Legendary mascots that ruled Isshu (Reshiram and Zekrom :) )

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    They should have kept the name Isshu. I mean they could have used Unova for a Pokemon Ranger game. It would suit it more.

I agree, actually. Considering what I remember from the one Ranger game I do own, it does sound like it would be more suited to those games, good... observation? XD I guess the sound of it doesn't really suit the main games, but the meaning behind it does, oh well.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

I agree, actually. Considering what I remember from the one Ranger game I do own, it does sound like it would be more suited to those games, good... observation? XD I guess the sound of it doesn't really suit the main games, but the meaning behind it does, oh well.

It sounds like some detergent brand XD

I am sad it changed, no matter how much sense it made. We shall get used to it, but... Isshu sounded so good ;_;

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I like Unova, it sounds sophisticated... lol

Years
    Now because of Yuoa, I think it fits good as well. I still prefer Isshu though but on technical terms, I don't mind it being Unova.

I also agree with Vaporeon, Unova sounds way more fitting for a region in the Pokémon Ranger series.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I think the main reason the changed the name, is because they changed the continent in the pokemon world, so they would speak another language. The people from Sinnoh, Kanto etc. Probably call it Isshu in the pokemon world as they would speak another language.

WarpstarX

The Green Trainer
    Years
    Overall I like the starters name.....

but Unova is just really odd. There was nothing wrong with Isshu (and that's not just shock talking) I honestly love Isshu more.

I think it might call the region Isshu anyway....unless I learn to adapt to Unova.

Is Unova pronounced like "You-nova"? Because that's the only way I'll ever adapt to it is if it's pronounced like that.

Pronounced Like uno (derived from unum meaning one) And nova (derived from novus meaning new.)

Years
    I think the main reason the changed the name, is because they changed the continent in the pokemon world, so they would speak another language. The people from Sinnoh, Kanto etc. Probably call it Isshu in the pokemon world as they would speak another language.
    They always change the name a bit each gen Sinnoh for example was Shino or something like that.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020

They always change the name a bit each gen Sinnoh for example was Shino or something like that.
    It's not really a change. Shinou can be romanized as Sinnoh. Well, for the most part. They added a second "n" in but, it's the only real change in there.

シンオウ

シ = Shi (Can be romanized as Si)
    ン = n
    オ = o
    ウ = u/h

Actually, there's a bunch of ways you could romanize Shinou.

Shinoh, Sinou, Shino, Sinoh, Sino, etc.

Plus, in most cases they just ignore the "u" when romanizing.

Most people automatically assume the Japanese has to be completely literal when romanized when that isn't the case.

Except for Zorua, since there was NO "U" in the name AT ALL. Zoroa, is it.

ゾロア

ゾ = Zo
    ロ = ro
    ア = a

Same with Zoroa:

Zorroa, Zoloa; are also acceptable romanizations for Zoroa.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back