• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Isshu's gone Unova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    Now, I don't know my Kanji (at all), but I find it interesting how different the English name is...Haven't all of the other regions at least sounded phonetically similar to the original Japanese? I saw your discussion about Sinnoh.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Now, I don't know my Kanji (at all), but I find it interesting how different the English name is...Haven't all of the other regions at least sounded phonetically similar to the original Japanese? I saw your discussion about Sinnoh.
    Yeah, Isshu's the first (Main Game) region to actually get full on renamed.

Kanto/Johto are literal romanizations since you can ignore the u/h.
    Hoenn is on the same area as Sinnoh. It's the same name as the Japanese; but, the spelling has been altered to make it look less awkward. Houen and Sinoh would look a bit awkward when you look at how they handled Johto and Kanto.

But, it's all up to interpretation.

Unova isn't a bad name, and appears to have multiple meanings. But, I just saw it as Uno (one) and Va(riety). Which is what Isshu is apparently supposed to mean.

But, it's just weird now of all times to start full-on renaming Regions (for the main series). That's the only problem I have with this. And on top of that, now we have to deal with 6 different names for one region: Isshu (Japanese), Unova (English), Unys (French), Einall (German), Teselia (Spanish), Unima (Italian).

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2010
    Truthfully, I think it'll be like Mijumaru. Everyone thought it was horrible at first, but it really isn't that bad! Actually it sounds much more "spacey" and experimental than Isshu to me.

Austy

Cannibal
    Years
    Hmm... I don't really mind Unova; I suppose they felt people would have an issue over the pun of Ishuu... like sales would flop, becasue the region was an "ishuu." I preferred Ishhu, but Unova has a cool ring to it. You know, va! Eh... not as good puns.

XenoKarp

Workin' for that Lvl. 20
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2011
    I'm all for a bit more convenience. I really like the new Unova name because I can think of the meaning better. Name origins are a huge deal for me, and I like how they're putting in a bit more creativity into naming the region rather than just going after some place that already exists in reality.

It always did confuse me how Lt. Surge talks about America. But hey, it's America.

Speaking of America the whole
    UN
    ov
    A
    makes me smile inside.
    [/proud american]

And sometimes even if I find something that doesn't sparkle with me very well at first, I try to force myself to like it early on, so I'm not "trying to get used to it" until way later. I like just living with what GameFreak's putting out there. I also believe most people aren't looking into some further details that may explain some of these things, as in, they're just forming their opinions by how something sounds. Like the whole "Snivy"-hate going on. Isn't Tsutarja just exactly what they did for Snivy? Take the japanese variation of ivy and snake put together? But anyway, the point is there may be deeper reasons to why GameFreak does things; I'm not really surprised in the change of patterns anymore. I mean Team Plasma... Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

#Emochu

ujhgjkjhgkujhjkhjkhkhkhhk hjkhj
    Years
    Unova reminds me ALOT of Bionicle.

Unova reminds me of Hoenn, it sounded futuristic and next gen.

Sinnoh, Kanto, and Johto all sound old and legendary.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    It's just a name, no big deal.

Besides, at least they've kept to the tradition of having an 'o' sound in the region names :D

Kanto
    Johto
    Hoenn
    Sinnoh
    Unova

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Does anyoner notice Unova is the first region to have more than 2 vowels?

Kanto
    Johto
    Hoenn
    Sinnoh
    Unova

InappropriateGoat

The Goldfish Lord
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2011
    I like the name, but it sounds more like a name for a Pokémon Ranger region to me :P
    I'm glad they stuck with having an 'oh' sound in each region name ^_^

Nohr

Long-time Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    Thank the gods! I thought Isshu sounded extremely ridiculous, and there is WAY too many puns and jokes easily made about it.

Want a Tissue for your isshu?

I think Unova is an infinitely better name, ESPECIALLY for a location that's meant to be far away, and NOT japanese, for once.

Just like the starter names, I'm 100% relieved and pleased.

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
    In my opinion, this region name is...... well, bad. Isshu sounds more suitable for this region. Unova sounds more like a girl's name than the name of a high-tech, faraway region inhabited with all sorts of Pokemon.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    Yeah, that's really lame. Isshu was alot better, but what can ya do?

Unova it is! Unova sounds like a reproductive organ, lol. Isshu wins.

Years
    I actually prefer Unova. Isshu seemed to use the same naming conventions as the other regions, yet it's suppose to be so far away. This just makes more sense to me. Now, Oshawott on the other hand...

Last edited:

XenoKarp

Workin' for that Lvl. 20
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2011
    You could think about it another way: what if you never knew the Japanese names to begin with? Perhaps people be better off rather than be stuck moping about a name they never understood (let alone played the game where said place was featured with said name).

Sort of like an 'ignorance is bliss' kind of deal? I definitely would say it would be better off like that.
    (What's ironic about calling it 'ignorance is bliss' is that, like you said, there are people moping about a name they never understood in the first place).

But irl, when I see the new information, I just don't allow myself to be attached to the names, especially when I don't understand them. I do like looking up the meanings though, but I stay away from being attached to "how it sounds to me".

Unfortunately, even being of Japanese descent, I do not know the language fluently; Parents can speak it, but learning the language in America wasn't a high priority (hopefully I will be able to take classes in college though).

Last edited:

XBA

Goth Pokemon FTW.
    Years
    I like the name change.

Unova is sounds more catchy to me.

And the posts above explain most of the other stuff.

ConPO

I am the Catalyst
    Years
    I read about this yesterday and I must say I am dissappointed. I liked Isshu... it was a good name... I think it sounds like a region name. Unova sounds like a plasma screen TV brand or a new kind of electric toothbrush.

Isshu had a very very Pokemonish feel to it, and Unova sounds like a creepy product being pushed in my face....

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
    Years
    I think its a culmination of things.
    THe New/star type thing was one of them.And they also probably didnt want to eliminate the O sounds from all the region names,which Isshu did, which their probably gonna make a banner witha Pokeball for an O just to show creativity.But really I dont mind the name,i will interchange them both.THe English naes are always expected to change however.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
    UNovA

United Nations ov America.
    Did no one else see this apart from me and the guy on the first page?
    But personally, I don't mind the name change in the slightest.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back