• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I've got a few questions about double battles

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2012
    I'm having trouble implementing double battles in the game I'm trying to make. I tried going the easy route and adding the event script comment: DoubleBattle: true or DoubleBattle: yes, but i have not gotten it to work.

Also, does there HAVE to be two enemy trainers? or can one single enemy trainer just send out 2 at the same time while your own trainer sends out 2?

I haven't run into any real trouble making my game yet that I couldn't solve on my own or with the notes files besides this. I guess I'd basically like more detailed instructions about implementing double battles than what is included in the Notes files that came with essentials. If anyone knows how and could dumb it down for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    This is a pretty easy question. When you set the battle command you need to set the "double battle" tag to true.

pbTrainerBattle(::PBTrainers::INTERVIEWERS,"Kris & Red",_I("Very good job."),true)

is just the example given in the test map.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2012
    Okay, the wiki definitely cleared up some of my questions, but I still can not get any double battles to work.

Normally, I've been making my trainers through the comment function because it's easier. For example I'd make an event named Trainer(4) or whatever, then add the comments:
    Battle: Blahblah blah let's fight
    Type: CAMPER
    Name: Johndoe
    EndSpeech: Blah blah I lost

But when I try to make one trainer use two pokemon and add the comment DoubleBattle: true or DoubleBattle: yes, they do not work. When I add that and playtest the game, it is still a single battle. Then afterwards when I go check the event again, the comment about doublebattles that I added has simply vanished. every time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong since all of the other comments I add seem to work fine. and I always hold ctrl to compile the data before I playtest.

I hate being such a noob about this but i have to learn somehow, can you please post what the event should look like to alow for one enemy trainer to use two pokemon? I thought I understood everything I read on the wiki but apparently not.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Upon doing some research, I have discovered that both the DoubleBattle and Backdrop comments don't work. I know why, and I've fixed this for the next version of Essentials. It's not something you're doing wrong, it's a problem with Essentials - apparently that problem has always existed, so it's really surprising it wasn't mentioned before now.

For now, you'll just have to make a manual correction. Again, the wiki has the information.

Basically, the Conditional Branch that actually does the battle (against a single trainer) contains the following code:

Code:
    pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::CAMPER,"Dave",_I("I enjoyed it."),[COLOR=Red]false[/COLOR],0,false)
    Make that red part "true" if it's a double battle.

Of course, it should only be a double battle if the player has at least 2 able Pokémon. Make sure to include that check (mentioned on the wiki) before the battle.

Back