• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IVs and Breeding For Competitive Play

What do you breed for when considering competition play?

• Maximized IV Spread Only

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Moves and Maximized IV Spread

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Moves Only

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Doesn't Matter What They Have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade Instead of Breed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
  • I could not find a recent thread on this subject, and some people tend to get annoyed with necro-posting, but I'd really like to know. This is about breeding for competitive teams, specifically, not breeding in general. What and how do you breed for?

Also, if you feel like it, list specific examples of what you have bred when applicable, and why. Just to add something to discuss.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • Whenever I breed Pokémon for competitive teams, the only things I focus on are getting people a pokémon with the right IVs and right nature. Moves make the process a lot longer then I like, so I make it a point that I will give them the pokémon they want with the nature and IVs they want, but they will have to breed any moves in. It's not hard once you have the 5IV pokémon and a destiny knot, it's just a lot more time than I like to/can afford to spend on breeding.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I'e only just started breeding for a "perfect" Pancham, but I take IVs and natures into account, definitely. With the everstone and destiny knot, it'd be silly not to since it's so easy.

I don't really focus on egg moves unless it's one of those "make or break" type moves, it seems like a hassle with regards to time (breeding for stats takes long enough as it is).

I also always try to use Pokemon/moves that I like. I know that doesn't fit in with the whole competitive mindset, but quite frankly it's boring to follow cookie-cutter builds that people post with only victory in mind. Pokemon is about enjoying the ride with your favourites, I feel like.

To each his own though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I go for moves only when necessary. I only use 20-31 IVs in the stats I intend to take advantage of, since going for perfect IVs all around is too much of a hassle.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I'm not all too concerned with IV's, but the EV's and Moves matter a lot.

Last edited:

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Ivs are just as important as the moves you place in the pokemon imo. If the move doesnt have the strength behind it using the best possible IV, Then the move is pretty well useless even with STABs

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    I breed for IVs and natures, usually. I'll only breed for egg moves if they're important enough, otherwise forget it. I try to use the Pokemon with the best IVs of the bunch overall, but usually I'm not breeding for all 6 flawless IVs, just in the stats I need the most.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • While IV's are important, Ev's and natures are more so, as they determine stats more than IV's. When i IV breed i normally shoot for 3-5 flawless to near flawless IV's in the stats i feel are the most important/utilized by that particular pokemon.

EDIT: something to keep in mind with IV breeding is that it is intimidating when you first start out, but 6th gen made Iv breeding a lot easier. However, IV breeding is pretty tedious and at times frustrating, but all in all it is not that difficult.

Last edited:

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    While IV's are important, Ev's and natures are more so, as they determine stats more than IV's. When i IV breed i normally shoot for 3-5 flawless to near flawless IV's in the stats i feel are the most important/utilized by that particular pokemon..

Well, I dunno if you can really say more or less important...a range from 0-31 more in a stat is a big enough of a deal that people should care if they're going to take the competitive scene seriously, you know?

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • Well, I dunno if you can really say more or less important...a range from 0-31 more in a stat is a big enough of a deal that people should care if they're going to take the competitive scene seriously, you know?

Yeah I understand. I guess it all depends on how they are going to use the pokemon, competitively or casually. I wasn't discounting IV's as they are important, just that nature and EV's have the highest influence on a stat, i feel

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • EVs change a stat by a total of 63, IVs change them by a total of 31 (At level 100). That said, EVs randomly placed in different stats still help the Pokemon, even if it isn't the optimal way. A 0 stat in an IV doesn't help any of it's other stats at all.

In other words, EVs put in the wrong places can still help Pokemon in odd ways, like letting it survive random moves or move faster than random things. But IVs being wrong doesn't do anything for a Pokemon.

That said, EVs are very important, and need to be in the right spot, and IVs are very important and need to be as high as possible where they're needed. Imo anyways. xD

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    Not to thread jack, but does anyone have any tips on how to breed IVs in the beginning? Taking into account that you don't have a flawless ditto or anything. Example: If you want a 5 or better IV'ed axew.
    What you would have to start with, what items would have to be used, and how you switch in different mons' to bump up the IVs to the next egg.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I usually breed for moves if I want to do the Battle Subway for example. Getting perfect IVs (And I mean on every stat) is very unlikely and thus a too frustrating a task for me to attempt to accomplish.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Ehh, I don't do flawless either. They pop up upon occasion when breeding a pair of quints (I had 2 pop up, yay!) but I usually leave out one of the attacking stats and/or speed. It's too much of a hassle to go for PERFECTION.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Not to thread jack, but does anyone have any tips on how to breed IVs in the beginning? Taking into account that you don't have a flawless ditto or anything. Example: If you want a 5 or better IV'ed axew.
    What you would have to start with, what items would have to be used, and how you switch in different mons' to bump up the IVs to the next egg.

Basically if you don't have a Ditto safari, you should put off breeding until you do. Otherwise, head to the Pokemon Village and catch yourself 200-300 Dittos and start IV checking them.

As far as passing IVs, you can force them with the Power items from the Battle Maison, or just keep hatching eggs until the right values pass. I don't use the RNG method but it works just fine too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2013
    For me personally, I want the best team I can possibly make.
    First I breed my pokemon and ditto to get a correct nature, then breed pokemon and a 4IV Ditto to work on IV's until I can get a 5IV Pokémon that I'm looking for.

One example is my Perfect Cloyster.
    I bred a female cloyster with its hidden ability with a male corsola that knew Rock blast to set up a powerful sweeper.

Then it's just the matter of breeding it correctly to get HP ATT DEF SPDEF and SPD IV's. So far I am at 112 Eggs, best being shellder almost perfect Male, all IVs needed except Speed. Need that. Anyways I ramble... haha

Outlier

I get mentally burnt out trying to breed the perfect poke. I wish they'd just do away with the IV system all together. EV's are fine with me, at least we have more control over those. Getting the right nature and egg moves... makes me want to cry. Too much maintenance God damn it! Pokemon really is an OCD kid's worst nightmare.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I'll only try to breed egg moves onto a Pokemon if they're absolutely integral to that Pokemon's role. Maximised IV spreads are a must, though. Besides, it's not too hard, even though it's time-consuming.
    A question - is it possible to breed a Pokemon with 6 perfect IVs?

Back