• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IVs and Breeding For Competitive Play

What do you breed for when considering competition play?

• Maximized IV Spread Only

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Moves and Maximized IV Spread

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Moves Only

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Doesn't Matter What They Have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade Instead of Breed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ársa

k.
Years
  • Not to thread jack, but does anyone have any tips on how to breed IVs in the beginning? Taking into account that you don't have a flawless ditto or anything. Example: If you want a 5 or better IV'ed axew.
    What you would have to start with, what items would have to be used, and how you switch in different mons' to bump up the IVs to the next egg.

I'd suggest simply Wonder Trading. I have received so many decent parents (3/4 IV's) from Japanese players it's ridiculous. I've very rarely received anything outside of a Fletchling or Bidoof from American players however *cough*

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • It's too much trouble to breed for perfect IV's, at least in Gen IV. I've heard things have changed in X and Y. When I breed it's usually for moves. Some Pokemon learn some really good moves through breeding, like Mawile learning all the elemental fang attacks--especially poison fang (bad poison for the win).

Another example is my Kingdra that knows Octazooka. Really good move in the right situations.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    I only strive for perfect IVS in the right stats. Example, I'm not gonna cry if a Gastly has a 5 in defense.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • I only strive for perfect IVS in the right stats. Example, I'm not gonna cry if a Gastly has a 5 in defense.

I'd hope you wouldn't cry. But it depends on what you define as 'necessary'. A Gengar with 31 Defense IV's is more likely to survive a physical attack than one with a 5 IV, therefore I'd deem at least a 25+ defense IV as necessary. However in Gen VI where IV breeding is so easy, I don't see why you'd skimp on getting 31 in all relevant stats. It's not difficult whatsoever.

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    I think breeding for perfect IVs gives you a great advantage, it might be the different between surviving and attack, OHKO'ing a Pokemon or outspeeding something. I always strive for 5IVs, but I will usually accept a 4IV if I'm not getting very lucky. But at the same time it all depends on the stats. I'm not going to breed Sp Attack on a Pokemon that doesn't even use Special attacks.

I know people who don't bother with IVs, and they do just fine in battles. But I think if you have the time and patience the rewards can be great.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Since breeding for IVs is so easy this gen (thank you destiny knot!), not to mention your pokemon retains its egg moves, there's no reason not to breed for perfects IVs and moves.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • What everyone else is saying, haha. Super duper easy for 5IV Pokemon, heck even 6IV Pokemon are about 1/200 if you have 2 5IV Pokemon in the daycare.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    Especially now they can tell exactly which parents are going to pass which ivs for the egg it's even easier than normal to use the parents with the specific ivs.

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
    Years
  • In my opinion I'd rather make sure my pokemon have egg moves so that your opponent can't predict your attack they think one type BUT that pokemon will have a different type move. Also having a full IV breed team makes battling a lot more fun so I like both Mac Iv's and egg move set :-)

Last edited:
    Back