• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IVs are stupid!!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    IVs determine the uniqueness of a Pokémon and to an extent its skills. You can't expect a Pokémon with low defence IVs to do some top-notch stalling. It's a necessary evil in that spirit. Just like irl, nobody's perfect and everyone can't be the best at a said talent.

I believe what you're alluding to is the way competitive battling requires you to abuse this, as everyone at the ground wants to have top-notch Pokémon. It's a herculean feat to breed a perfect Pokémon for Cbattling, and I understand you. For a casual gamer it just adds diversity into the field.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm not sure I understand. I mean, you can easily ignore them, so what's the problem? I didn't even know they existed until I played Gen 4. They add an extra level of depth to the game and make it more realistic. Two untrained Pokemon of the same level won't have the same stats due to IV's, doesn't that make sense to how it would be IRL? If they're really that big a problem for you though, I see no reason why you couldn't just ignore them altogether.

If you know the math behind stat calculation, IV's really don't make that big a difference. A maxed out IV only gives 31 extra points to a Pokemon's stat at level 100 (which means it only adds 15 at level 50, 7 at level 25, and so on).

Compare that to EV's, which when maxed out add 63 points to the stat at level 100. What a Pokemon lacks in IV's can be more than made up for in EV's, so I usually don't stress about getting the perfect IV's.

Back