• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Johto: The Future of Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    Actually, I've changed my mind :P Can I go with Gligar? :D

I'll have my SU up asap :)

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
    @Zeph.: Gligar's yours. :D

@RyoThePiannacleOfMasteryAndPerfection: Zeph.'s taking Gligar, he got there before you. So, do you want the Jigglypuff or not? It's the only one left and I ain't adding Larvitar aswell, since I already added the three extra starters. To be realistic, I'm not sure a newly appointed Professor would bother to hunt down the rare Larvitar. Anyway, if you want Jigglypuff, change yer SU accordingly. Thanks!

@ChrisTom: I've obviously missed this due to me coming online late at night. :) The Mareep you have is a female, not a male like your SU states and you don't have to, but maybe you'd like to think about changing the name of your charrie? I didn't realise but GDark08's charrie is also named Thomas. Very sorry for not pointing this out earlier. :D

Last edited:

Zeph.

Years
    Breezy kindly gave me permission to re-use a character :P

Name: Cooper Miles

Nickname: Coop

Appearance: Cooper is the average height for a teenager his age - that is, about 6 feet. He isn't particularly well built or muscular, infact he's pretty skrawny and almost 'lanky'. He dosen't appear to have much muscle to him at all, however he is still energetic. His skin isn't anyhting special - it's the same, pale colour it has always been as he dosen't particularly focus on giving it a nice tan. However, this has kept his skin nice and smooth over time and it is quite healthy. He has short, brown hair which hangs downwards (though not by much, considering its length). Facially, Cooper's expression always looks like he isn't worried at all. He has high cheekbones, his eyes are kept wide and his mouth usually finds itself in some sort of smile. This fun-loving look to him makes him appear slightly younger than he actually is.

Cooper's favourite colour is green, thus it shows in what he wears. He has a white, long sleeve shirt on with a royal green, short sleeved one over the top of that, unbuttoned. To match this, he wears a unique pear of trousers - they are black, however they have large green stripes around the legs and the waist. To complete his outfit, he wears green and white baseball boots, a green mens' dress hat, and a grey backapack (which he usually has around only one shoulder. He also has a few accessories: a watch, sweatband, and a belt in which to keep pokeballs.

Personality: One word best describes Cooper. Fun. He is a fun loving guy, he always goes that extra step to make sure he enjoys himself and he rarely lets things bother him. There can be a number of situations where Cooper finds himself being the 'comic relief' of it all, or the only one who tries to lighten people's days up. He dosen't particularly understand sorrow, and can't understand why some people insist on wallowing in the past and living life pessimistically. His lack of understanding when it comes to panic or fear can obviously result in the patience of another breaking, resulting in Cooper being lectured about 'morals' and 'what is most important' at the time. However, Cooper has one, strong moral - that is to help others in need, and take life on with a smile on your face.

This way of life for Cooper can make him, as he puts it, "like a Marmite guy," (Pardon the expression) - you either love him, or don't. On one hand, he can be a great guy to be with, relied on to make you laugh or simply there to be your friend. Cooper's presence can make all the difference sometimes in social gatherings. On the other hand, trying to get him to slow down and take things seriously is like pulling teeth. He can have difficulty grasping when it's time to be serious about things - having difficulty knowing when and where certain things should be said. Nonetheless, all Cooper tries to do is be a good, fun person: and he tries hard at it.

History: Cooper was born and has grown up in New Bark Town during his lifetime. There, he lived in an average house, big enough for his family of four - himself, his mother, father and his sister who is a year younger than he is. In this climate, he was introduced to many people of varying ages and experiences. When he was as young as three he found himself bonding and playing happily with other tots his age, without a care in the world. This behaviour, many assumed, came from his own parents, who were both also kind, compassionate and appriciative of others - especially their own children. Cooper and his sister were never treated harshly or punished often - if anything, they were probably raised without much discipline at all. The fun, carefree attitude they developed basically made them nice people - something people always appreciate.

Whearas most kids would see the step to school as a big, dangerous aspect, Cooper was anxious and took it in his stride. Right away, to the dismay of his teachers, he was bouncing from one place to the next, yabbering away to one child then going over to play with the next. As you would expect, this was of great benefit in his first two years of school. However, as he progressed and turned six, school became a more serious thing. Unfortunatley, Cooper couldn't let go of his inner child and wasn't taking the education system seriously enough. There were a few occasions were there were tears - after all, Copoer couldn't understand why the teachers were giving him into trouble, he was just being who he was. Nonetheless, nothing serious ever happened to him because, as mentioned, he wasn't ever 'bad' and had no wrong intentions. This caused him to have many friends in school. Infact, he was popular and well known enough to avoid the hassle of bullies. The leap to secondary school was no different and, while he was never the best acidemically, he remained the good guy - and his growing sense of humour was greatly appriciated by others.

Now, however, he has been drawn to the idea of taking part in the Johto League. Some say it's a fad, but he believes he's in with a shot.

Chosen starter Pokemon: Gligar
    Nickname: Sorah
    Personality: Like Cooper, Sorah is a fun loving pokemon - but she's not as immature. She seems to really enjoy action and intense battles, and also shares a similar sense of humour to his. She also seems to want to be relied on, and responsible to others so that they will respect her. As a result of this, she will try and act where needed in serious situations, and try to act like a leader - as Cooper isn't all that reliable sometimes. All round she is pretty social.

Other Information:

RPG Sample:
    Spoiler:

There we go :D

Last edited:

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Name: First and Last : Cathlyn Jones

Nickname: Cathy

Appearance: Slightly tall. Slightly tanned skin. Long, dirty blonde hair. Small, black glasses. Dayware: Small, sleeveless shirt, Blue mini skirt. Nightware: Blue cotton Pajames with small Clefairys printed on them.

Personality: Very upbeat. Loves to battle and show off battle skills. Kisses Poke Ball before throwing it. Use's catchphrase "Come to me, _______" when summoning. Loves to eat foreign food. Believes that there's always room for more training. Hates Fighting Type Pokemon. Loves Normal Type Pokemon. Has a crush on Silver (rival). Allergic to pollen and homework. Dreams on battling Clair one day.

History: The daughter on Lt. Surge, Cathlyn dreams to be like her dad, a great trainer. She has his fighting spirit and he rough training techniques. After what happened 3 years earlier with Team Rocket, Cathlyn heads to Johto to start her quest as a Pokemon Trainer so she wouldn't have to worry about theives.

Ever since she was three, she loved Normal Types. She grew up taking care of Pokemon in the nearby routes of Vermillion City. She also watched many battles and learned several techniques.

She would also run errands for Nurse Joy to get medicines and books.

One day, as she was fetching some super Potion, she ran into a Young Man with a Pikachu. He stopped, smiled, and gave her a small brown box, and walked away.

Thinking how random it was, she opened the box and she saw a Poke ball with the words "R E D" etched on the top.

That's when she knew she waned to be a trainer.

That same day, her father and his Raichu got beaten by the same boy and his Pikachu.

After that, all she could think about was becoming a trainer.

But sadly, her father wanted her to become a Coordinator, just like her mother.

Despite her father wishes, Cathlyn had her goals set on being a Trainer.

Once she turn 8, she attended Pokemon fan Club daily to get advice form the wise Chariman.

One day, Team Rocket attacked the fan club. They held the Chairman hostage. Meanwhile, Cathlyn as taking care of his Rapidash. Once his Fearow warned Cathlyn about what happened, and her father gone to Saffron City, Cathlyn went to the Fan Club to stop them.

The unexpected Rocket gang were no match against the high leveled Rapidash and it's fire attacks.

The Chairman was saved and was humbly grateful to Cathlyn.

So he made her an Official Executive Member and a Badge Case.

One year later, now fully educated on the ways of Pokemon, she was ready to begin her quest.

but she decided to start in johto since newly discovered pokemon were found in that region.

Chosen starter Pokemon: Jigglypuff

Nickname: Purin

Personality: This Pokemon loves to show off her vocals. Unlike most Jigglypuff, Purin can't use Sing attack for reasons unknown, but can still carry a beautiful tune. When in battle, Purin uses likes to use its special egg move, Gravity, making it an air battle.

Though everyone thinks it would be great in Contests, Purin prefers to fight.

Other Information:

Last edited:

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
    @Zeph.: Accepted with Gligar. I quite love your charrie. :D

@ChrisTom: Sure, I guess that'll be okay. :)

@Skarmory: Your SU was waay too short. But I PM'd you.

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    Name: First and Last : Cathlyn Jones

Nickname: Cathy

Appearance: Slightly tall. Slightly tanned skin. Long, dirty blonde hair. Small, black glasses. Dayware: Small, sleeveless shirt, Blue mini skirt. Nightware: Blue cotton Pajames with small Clefairys printed on them. 3 star shaped hair clips. Semi Strong build. Pink Finger Nail. Clear, blue eyes. Right Handed
    Personality: Very upbeat. Loves to battle and show off battle skills. Kisses Poke Ball before throwing it. Use's catchphrase "Come to me, _______" when summoning. Loves to eat foreign food. Believes that there's always room for more training. Hates Fighting Type Pokemon. Loves Normal Type Pokemon. Has a crush on Silver (rival). Allergic to pollen and homework. Dreams on battling Clair one day.

History: The daughter on Lt. Surge, Cathlyn dreams to be like her dad, a great trainer. She has his fighting spirit and he rough training techniques. After what happened 3 years earlier with Team Rocket, Cathlyn heads to Johto to start her quest as a Pokemon Trainer so she wouldn't have to worry about theives.

Ever since she was three, she loved Normal Types. She grew up taking care of Pokemon in the nearby routes of Vermillion City. She also watched many battles and learned several techniques.

She would also run errands for Nurse Joy to get medicines and books.

One day, as she was fetching some super Potion, she ran into a Young Man with a Pikachu. He stopped, smiled, and gave her a small brown box, and walked away.

Thinking how random it was, she opened the box and she saw a Poke ball with the words "R E D" etched on the top.

That's when she knew she waned to be a trainer.

That same day, her father and his Raichu got beaten by the same boy and his Pikachu.

After that, all she could think about was becoming a trainer.

But sadly, her father wanted her to become a Coordinator, just like her mother.

Despite her father wishes, Cathlyn had her goals set on being a Trainer.

Once she turn 8, she attended Pokemon fan Club daily to get advice form the wise Chariman.

One day, Team Rocket attacked the fan club. They held the Chairman hostage. Meanwhile, Cathlyn as taking care of his Rapidash. Once his Fearow warned Cathlyn about what happened, and her father gone to Saffron City, Cathlyn went to the Fan Club to stop them.

The unexpected Rocket gang were no match against the high leveled Rapidash and it's fire attacks.

The Chairman was saved and was humbly grateful to Cathlyn.

So he made her an Official Executive Member and a Badge Case.

One year later, now fully educated on the ways of Pokemon, she was ready to begin her quest.

but she decided to start in johto since newly discovered pokemon were found in that region.

Chosen starter Pokemon: Jigglypuff

Nickname: Purin

Personality: This Pokemon loves to show off her vocals. Unlike most Jigglypuff, Purin can't use Sing attack for reasons unknown, but can still carry a beautiful tune. When in battle, Purin uses likes to use its special egg move, Gravity, making it an air battle.

Though everyone thinks it would be great in Contests, Purin prefers to fight.

Other Information:

Extended :).

R.P Sample:

" What do you mean I missed the ship ?!?!?!" said a very stressed out Cathlyn Jones as she paced agrily on the Vermillion Dock.

" I'm sorry mam, but it left just an hour ago." said the young sailor, frowning at the upset girl.

" Well next time, make the departure time more clear! " Cathlyn yelled, storming away.

" Now what do I do? I need to reach New Bark Town by tonight..." she said, starting to cry.

She slumped down onto the ground, weeping in her knees. She clenched her hands and let out small crys.

" My dear, what ever is the matter? "

The disheartened Cathlyn looked up out of her tears to see the Chairman, stading over her with a worried expression.

" I missed the stupid ship, now I'll never become a Trainer. " she moaned, looking to the ground.

" Ho ho ho! It just so happens my Fearow knows Fly and can easily Fly you to your destination." the old man chuckled.

" Really? " she smiled. " THANK YOU! " she ran up and hugged the chairman.

" Oh it's no problem. It's the elast I could do to help kick start your quest. " he smiled.

" FEAROW!!!! " he bellowed into the air.

Within seconds, the large brown bird swooped down in front of his master, letting out a small chirp of content.

"Fearow, my darling, please fly Ms.Jones to her destination, New Bark Town."

" Fe- Fe - FEAR!" the bird squawked, lowering its body for Cathlyn to climb on.

With slight hesitation, the girl jumped onto Fearow's feathery back.

Raising it's body up and letting out a loud piercing cry, the bird flew off into the orange sky.

" Thank You Mr. Chairman! " Cathlyn cried as she headed to the wonderous Johto region.

Last edited:

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
    @Ryo: Accepted with Jigglypuff. Hope you don't mind me shortening yer username. :)

@Skarmory: Ryo did get in there before you, sorry. Hopefully spots will open up later on in the RP, or if anyone drops out I'll contact you. Thankyou for applying though.

@Everyone: You must check the OOC thread, 'coz I'd really appreciate it if you could post and handle yer own character profiles. And make sure it's proper looking, with capital letters. ;D I'm fussy. Anyway, you should check that anyway, all OOC talk will be directed there, since the RP is now starting. Yay!

Name: Vixen
    Species: Vulpix
    Nature: Timid Nature
    Level: 5
    Attacks: Ember, Tail Whip
    Trainer: Adam Locke, Hospitaller

Name: Jonah
    Species: Poliwag
    Nature: Naughty Nature
    Attacks: Bubble, Water Sport
    Trainer: Mark Lakes, white lancer

Name: Hoppip
    Species: Hoppip
    Nature: Brave Nature
    Attacks: Tackle, Synthesis
    Trainer: Leonardo Jasmine, perfectmonster

Name: Buzz
    Species: Elekid
    Nature: Modest Nature
    Attacks: Quick Attack, Leer
    Trainer: Bree Greene, ShadowYashi

Name: Krabby (You just need to decide on the nickname, :D)
    Species: Krabby
    Nature: Quirky Nature
    Attacks: Bubble, Vicegrip, Mud Sport
    Trainer: Thomas Barry, GDark08

Name: Teddiursa
    Species: Teddiursa
    Nature: Bold Nature
    Attacks: Scratch, Lick, Fake Tears
    Trainer: Jen Keil, Wolfwhispers

Name: Squire
    Species: Aipom
    Nature: Adamant Nature
    Attacks: Scratch, Tail whip, Sand attack
    Trainer: Jethro Stonebrook, Broadway

Name: Amp
    Species: Mareep
    Nature: Impish Nature
    Attacks: Tackle, Growl
    Trainer: Thomas Kint Mamoru, ChrisTom

Name: Sorah
    Species: Gligar
    Nature: Brave Nature
    Attacks: Poison Sting, Sand Attack
    Trainer: Cooper Miles, Zeph.

Name: Powerpuff
    Species: Jigglypuff
    Nature: Docile Nature
    Attacks: Sing, Defense Curl
    Trainer: Erik Walker, RyoThe PinnacleOfMasteryAndPerfection

Johto: The Future Of Adventure
    "Pokemon is not just a game, it's an adventure!"

Chapter One:
    The Adventure Awaits!
    No. of Posts: One
    Pokemon Appearances: Lab Pokemon, Nil wild Pokemon.

As the young Pidgey awoke this fateful morning, their crows were filled with disappointment as a light drizzle spread across the small town of New Bark. Nestled to the south-east of the Johto region, the town had once been the destination for all trainers who wanted to begin their own journey. Many adventures sprouted from this town and they would sprout again, for today held the beginning for ten young soon-to-be trainers.

Though the Pidgey were disappointed about the weather, one man who was not disappointed was Professor Derek Walsh. No matter the weather, the newly appointed Professor knew the trainers who would soon arrive on his doorstep, some nervous and some filled with determination, would experience much more than a little rain.

Derek Walsh had woken early, intending to ready the Pokemon and the equipment he had ready for the trainers. He had been readily busy these past few weeks - configuring Pokedexes, ordering Pokeballs and trying to keep the Pokemon focused. The Professor had managed to befriend most of the Pokemon he'd caught for the trainers, to his surprise. There were only a couple who still sought freedom beyond the white wooden fences that surrounded the lab.

The Professor, feeling happily excited, had more or less finished his jobs just as the sun was rising higher into the sky. The rain had moved on, threatening to penetrate the sunny skies of the route. The Pokemon now resided in their Pokeballs, each red and white sphere etched with the name of the Pokemon it contained and the date in tiny letters. The bench was lined with shiny red Pokedexes, awaiting further configuration of the trainer's statistics. All that was missing, were the trainers with their eager eyes and excited smiles.

~

Each trainer will receive:

1 x Pokedex*
    5 x Pokeballs
    1 x Etched Pokeball

*The Pokedex is much like a normal Pokedex, trainer card and Poketch combined - it contains all trainer information. This acts as your electronic ID, proof you are eligable for things like free meals & a bed at the Pokemon Center, registration into the league & such. It also acts like a Poketch, with various applications. As well as the ones in D/P/P, I'm sure you can think up some awesome ones. :D

You will be heading out to Route 29 & Cherrygrove city afterwards, just incase you want to finish yer post with heading out there. Alternatively, you could choose to float around New Bark Town and lag behind the others. :D

~

Depending on who your character is, you will be carrying with you a small amount of money. Currency is dollars, for your sake and mine. Prices of items at the Pokemart will be listed in the OOC thread. Be realistic for who your character is, limit of $100 bucks to start with.

~

For future reference, like any good roleplay, your post has to be sufficient if you want to capture a Pokemon. The end of your capture post should end with "The Pokeball fell to the ground, rolling from side to side, still dinging away dimly..." Or something like that. You know what I mean. ;)

Years
    Chapter One: The Adventure Begins
    No. of Posts: One
    Number of Pokemon: Jigglypuff

"Erik. Erik, wake up." A voice called out.

Erik Walker began to wake up, only to see his older brother, Gavin.

"What is it? It's....7 AM, Geez!" He complained, going under his covers again.

"Okay, I'll just tell Mr. Walsh that you don't want your Pokemon..." Gavin said, walking away.

"Uh, I'm up!" Erik said, jumping off his bed and grinning at Gavin.

"Jealous I'm becoming a Trainer today?"

"Heck no. I've already had my fun, it's time you've had yours too. I don't really care what you do now. You've finished school already, so you can do whatever suites you best. Also, if you're gonna eat, come in 5 minutes or I'll eat it." Gavin said, walking down the stairs.

"Sure, okay! See you down there!" Erik yelled back.

Erik was so excited that he almost felt like screaming. He was becoming a Trainer! He's going to explore new lands and have many adventures, not to mention having his own Pokemon!

He quickly got dressed in his gothic style and then went downstairs, to see his brother feeding his beloved Spearow, Ace.

"Why do you like him so much?" Erik asked, as he sat down at the kitchen table and took a bite out of toast.

"Ace was my first Pokemon. He's like my best bud, except he can actually do something useful. I remember taking on the Johto League with him...ah, the nostalgia..."Gavin said, day-dreaming about his vivid past as a Trainer.

"Okay, whatever. It's just that I find it weird that he hasn't evolved yet." Erik said while eating.

"He doesn't want to evolve. He'll be stronger for sure, but slower as well. Besides, he loves being perched on my shoulder, doesn't he?" Gavin cooed, scratching Ace's left wing. Ace then squawked, obviously happy.

Erik rolled his eyes, as he then got up out of his chair, put his plate in the sink, and began to leave.

"Erik!" Gavin called.

"Yeah?"

"Don't be a screw up. Also, don't forget to call once in awhile!"

"Okay! See you, Gavin!" Erik called, as he then ran from his home.

Gavin chuckled, as he then began to feed Ace more food.

(Be careful, Erik. Don't die on me...) Gavin thought, looking out the window.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Erik stopped running for a moment to catch his breath. He panted, as he then looked up to see the Pokemon Lab.

(Yes! I'm almost there!) Erik thought happily. He then walked towards the Lab, feeling New Bark Town's light drizzle hit his face.

(I'm gonna miss this town...) Erik thought sadly, but reminded himself that having regrets would make him feel worse, so he shrugged off his thought as he entered the Pokemon Lab.

He walked through the gate, as a man greeted him.

"Hi, I'm Professor Derek Walsh. And may I ask who you are?" The man asked warmly to Erik.

"I'm Erik Walker, Prof. Walsh. I'm here to become a Trainer!" He said happily.

"Erik, huh? Pleased to meet you. Come with me, right over here." Prof. Walsh motioned Erik to follow him, as Erik did.

"May I ask one thing?" Prof. Walsh said.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Why do you dress like, um, that?" Walsh said, obviously embarrassed to ask.

"Oh, my style of dress? Well, I like the color black, and I dyed my hair dark blue because I had brown hair." Erik answered.

"Oh..."

"What's wrong?"

"It's just weird to see a person like you walk around like that. I mean, it makes people...cautious towards you."Walsh said, turning a bit red when he realized what he had just said.

But Erik smiled and said: "Well, I don't seem to scary now, do I?"

"Okay, you got me there. Here we go," Walsh stopped, as Erik saw what lay before him.

There was 10 red/white balls on top of a bench, next to them where red devices, shining in the sunlight. Erik's jaw dropped.

"Erik, those balls on the bench are called Poke Balls, a storing/capturing device used for Pokemon. The devices next to them are Poke Dexs, a useful tool on your journey. It can tell you information about a Pokemon you've never met before, and they hold your Trainer Card and Money," Walsh said, "You can also use various Applications on the Poke Dex as well. So Erik, will you choose a Poke Ball please?"

"Um...say that last part again?" Erik said, still surprised.

"Choose a Poke Ball. I'll allow you to pick one, but no matter what the Pokemon, you can't give it back. No matter what it is, it's yours, got it?" Walsh said.

Erik stared at the man, and then at the Poke Balls. There was nothing special physically about them, they were all the same. However, each one of them held a different Pokemon inside.

Erik took a deep breath, and picked the one at the end. He told himself he would accept it, no matter what was inside.

"Um...how do you open this?" Erik said, laughing a little.

Walsh sighed, as he told Erik to push the button in the middle.

Once Erik did, the Poke Ball opened up, and a bright flash came out of it. Out came was...

"Jiggly!" The Pokemon said, as it jumped from the ground to Erik's face.

"Ahhh!!! Get off, you're smothering me!" Erik yelled, as he pulled the Pokemon off of him. It bounced off the ground as he threw it, and it then happily said another "Jiggly!".

Erik grabbed the Poke Dex, quickly asked Walsh how to use it as he flipped it open.

JIGGLYPUFF, The Ballon Pokemon
    The evolved form of IGGLYBUFF
    Looking into its cute, round eyes causes it to sing a relaxing melody, inducing its enemies to sleep.

"Okay...It likes putting people to sleep?" Erik said, screwing his face.

"Jiggly, puff!" The Jigglypuff said, jumping at him again.

"I think she likes you."Walsh inquired.

"I guess...it's...sort of.... cute if you ask me." Erik said, as the Jigglypuff smiled as it was on top of his head.

"Except for being on my head, she's cool." Erik said, annoyed as it jumped on top of his head.

"Would you like to nickname her?" Walsh asked.

"Um, sure...Powerpuff?" Erik asked her, who happily said another "Jigglypuff!".

"Okay, Erik. You're all set and ready to go. The Poke Dex was already programmed, so who ever touched it gets identified, so you're now a Trainer. There's also $100 in your account, and since you're a Trainer you can get free food and sleep at the Pokemon Center. Also, here, 5 Poke Balls." Walsh said to Erik.

"Sweet! So, do I uh go now?" Erik asked, as he took the items.

"You sure can. Good luck Erik, and take care of your Jigglypuff!" Walsh said.

"Sure will, Prof. Walsh. Nice meeting you, bye." Erik grinned, as he walked awayy from the Lab and New Bark Town.

"Ready, Powerpuff?" He asked the Pokemon on top of his head.

"Jiggly!" She said, and jumped down from his head.

"Alrighty then, lets go!" He yelled, running into Route 229 with Powerpuff behind him.

~To be continued...​

Last edited:

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
    Chapter 1: Fulfilling the Promise​

The early morning sun revealed a slight mist over the ground in New Bark Town. A few clouds dotted the dull sky, and a slight drizzle was coming down. It seemed like a gloomy day, but not for the young trainer sitting on the back of the slowly moving bus as the town came into sight.
    Leonardo felt free. He was one of many trainers coming to the town to begin a journey. But this was quite important for Leo. He was about to fulfill a great promise to his dead brother. Looking down at the band on his wrist, he thought.

Just a few hours earlier he had escaped from his old home and parents. They would still be asleep now, unaware that their son had left them. Last night Leo had overheard them talking, saying that he would never be allowed to travel because of what happened to Sheldon. He couldn't believe it. He had hated them so much for trying to erase their other sons memories, and for trying to decide his future. So he had left with a few possessions and some food for the bus trip out of Cherrygrove City. And now he was here. He was ready. And slowly the bus came to a deliberate stop.

Leo looked up at the building. It looked like a high dome, except for all of the windows sticking out of it's shining silver exterior. He hurried to the door without another moment wasted to get out of the rain falling down his blue hair. (I can't let fear stop me...), he thought. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. The door opened almost immediately, and there stood a man in a white lab coat appeared.

"Hello..." said Leo nervously.

"Why, hello young man!" cried Derek Walsh. "Come inside quickly, I can't stand this gloomy weather." Leo was ushered inside. He found himself standing in a narrow hallway with a few doors on either side and one green door right ahead.

"Let me guess... You're one of the new trainers, right?" Walsh wondered aloud as they went through it.

"Yes sir. I've come to get my Pokemon." Leo replied enthusiastically.
    "I'll be right back," said Walsh. Bristling with antisipation, Leo looked around the room. There were a few whirring machines around, and two assistants were idily chatting in the corner. What caught Leo's attention was the table in front of him. On it were 10 Pokeballs, each engraved with the name of the Pokemon in it and the date it was caught. Leo walked forward and looked at them, trying to decide what Pokemon he would take.

As he moved along, a green ball caught his attention. It was shining, as if waiting to be taken. Leo picked it up, and somehow, it just felt right. The engraved name read 'Hoppip'.
    Leo was startled by Walsh's sudden entrance. "So," he laughed. "I see you've decided already!" He walked over to Leo. "Now, I see you already have a backpack. So I have given you 5 pokeballs and a Pokedex." As Walsh explained all of the functions of the Pokedex, Leo noticed that the drizzle had stopped. He liked the sound of the 'Recipe App'. In the end he had 6 pokeballs, a pokedex, $100 and, most importantly, a new partner.

Soon he was ready. He said farewell to Walsh, and walked just outside of the gate. The clouds had cleared, giving way to a bright, crisp morning. "Alright..." he said, pulling out the special green pokeball. "Let's see what you're like!" He pressed the button in the middle of the ball, and a burst of white light appeared, slowly shaping into a Hoppip. It shook it's head, as if awakening from a trance, and seeing it's new trainer, jumped around examining him. Eventually she decided that she liked him, and nuzzled against his face. Leo smiled at that.

He grabbed his Pokedex and scanned Hoppip. In it's mechanical voice, it said "Hoppip, the Cottonweed Pokémon. This hopping Pokémon is light as a feather, and can be lifted by the gentlest breeze." Leo laughed at his new friend, and started walking down the path. It was a new day, he reflected. He had a new friend. And a promise waiting to be fulfilled...

Ok, that was my first post! Hope it was ok, not to long and descriptive enough!

Hospitaller

Defender of the Faith
    Years
    Whoop!

Chapter I
    Embers of Beginning

Adam awoke to his mother's calling from downstairs. 'ADAM! WAKE UP!' She yelled, and Adam could immediately recognize the strain in her voice; she'd been calling for a while.
    'Sorry, mum, I'll just be a moment!' Adam called down to his mother. She shook her head and sighed, and walked back into the kitchen, mumbling to herself about how the eggs were burning. Adam sighed, walked to the window sill, and got down on one knee, reciting his daily prayer. 'I pray to you, O lord in heaven, to grant me joy and success on this day. Grant me your willpower and knowledge, and lend me your bravery and courage...' He grinned to himself. 'And give me a really awesome Pokemon. Amen. Now, all that's left is to pack my bag...'
    'ADAM!'

Adam dashed down the stairs, buttoning up his grey jacket. 'Sorry, mum, I just had to choose what to pack, I mean... It's no small thing, starting a journey, especially considering the circumstances...' He sighed, stabbing into his cereal.
    'Well, I'm not forcing you to go, and I can't see why you'd want to go, your brothers saw sense and decided not to, maybe you should follow their example...' She hinted, but there was a sudden loud cracking noise.
    'Don't you DARE compare me to those... Those... Ugh!' He screamed with exasperation, and slumped back onto his chair. 'I'm... I'm sorry mum... I'll send you the money for a new bowl and...'
    'Just don't bother, Adam, I'll replace it somehow.' She sighed, picking up the remains of a bowl which didn't look all that cheap.
    'Why don't you just go? Before you break anything else would be nice.' Adam's older brother, Alex, sneered as he came down the stairs. 'You cost more money than everything else put together. So clumsy and careless...' He trailed off, smiling evilly.
    'Do you know what, Alex? I think I will. Perhaps this is my chance to actually do some good instead of just reading about heroes and legends.' He glared. 'See you later, mum, Alex...' And with that, he walked out of the door.
    'He'll be back within a week.'

Adam knocked on the door of the huge laboratory, as someone came out with a Hoppip, floating in the gentle breeze. 'I do hope I get something a bit more... Firey.' Adam mumbled to himself as he walked in. 'Umm... Hello? Professer Walsh?' Adam said.
    'Ah! Another trainer come to collect his Pokemon, I see!' Walsh boomed.
    'Um... Yes, sir, I'm... Adam, Adam Locke, pleased to meet you... Sir.' Adam stuttered.
    'Come now, boy! It's not like you've got a test first! Don't be so nervous, this is a happy time!'
    'Um... Yes, sir.' Walsh beckoned for Adam to come to the table which he was standing at. On the table were 8 shiny Pokeballs, each of them seeming to radiate energy. 'Well, then, Adam? Do you want to see the Pokemon?' Walsh said, putting his hand on a Pokeball.
    'NO!' Adam yelped, startling Walsh. 'Um... I'm sorry, it's just... I'd rather go with fate, if that's ok.' He kicked the floor with his right foot.
    'I hadn't pegged you down as the religious sort... Fine then, choose one!' Walsh laughed. Adam looked at each of the Pokeballs and grimaced... Whichever one he chose now would be his partner for a very long time... the wrong choice would be disastrous... They all seemed to be calling him towards them, and his hand loomed over one of them. But something wasn't right... There was one. In the far corner, turned away from the others. Like an outcast. Like him. Smiling, he picked the Pokeball up and looked at the name etched into it. 'Vulpix...' He pondered to himself. 'I'll take this one.' He said, smiling. Walsh smiled and picked up a Pokedex, giving it to Adam. 'Thank you sir.' He smiled.
    'My name is not "Sir", it is Walsh. Now, do you want to see your new friend?' He held out his hand, indicating for Adam to throw the ball. He did so, and with a red flash, a Fox-like Pokemon emerged with a red flash...

'Vulpix!' The little fox said.
    'Oh! Aren't you just lovely!' Adam exclaimed. He knelt down and held out his hand, and Vulpix sniffed it. With a small yelp of happiness, the adorable little Pokemon leaped into it's new friend's embrace. 'Aww, aren't you adorable! I'll name you Vixen, because your as beautiful and graceful as one. Yes you are, yes you are, yes...'
    'You know, I think she understood you the first time.' Walsh chuckled, folding his arms.
    'Of course. Thank you so much, S... I mean, Dr Walsh, I really appreciate this!' Adam said, standing up and shaking Dr Walsh's hand. 'Now, I think I should get underway. I'll see you later, doctor, and I'll make sure to tell you if anything happens!' Adam cried, waving to the good doctor as he left the lab. 'Now, off on our journey!' Adam yelled as Vixen leaped around his feet. 'Vul!' She cried, And blew a small flurry of embers into the grass, burning it. Adam quickly stomped out the fire. 'I think that's a good sign... I hope it is, anyway.

GDark08

"I AM A MAN!"
    Years
    Chapter One: Runaway

It was raining in New Bark Town. The home of Logan and Barbara Barry was abuzz with activity, as both parents found themselves in a hurry for work and to send their children to school. Daughters two, Maya and Nana, rushed in and out of their bedrooms and bathroom, preparing for the day ahead in a whirling mess of clothes, brushes and papers. The only member of the family in no particular worry was one young Thomas. Sitting at the breakfast table, he was slowly stirring awake as he ate breakfast and ran his fingers through his messy, unkempt hair.

"Hurry now, Thomas," His mother called out, "you'll be late to school… again!"

Tom heard her shouting down to him in the kitchen and slowly sat up from the table. As he did, a large vine shot out from across the room and grasped the dirty plate he had been eating with in its clutches and then depositing it in the sink. There were many different Pokémon among the Barry's residence, having been captured and trained by Logan in his early years, but one could always count on Victrebeel to do the dishes.
    As Tom readied himself for school, grabbing his leather jacket from the coat rack and placing his flat cap upon his head, his father Logan came down the stairs.

"Hey there Tommy," He smiled warmly to his son, "thinking you'll have a good day of class now?"

Tom merely nodded to his father, to which in reply he said, "Atta boy. Now, I don't think I have to remind you about last night, so it's straight to school and then straight on back home, okay?"

Again, the prodigal son nodded to his father, as mother and daughters too came down the stairs. As elder and younger sisters rushed out the door, in a flurry of hugs, kisses, and "I love you's", Tom too started his way on out into the rain and down the path to the schoolhouse.

When he found himself a good distance away, out of sight of both parents behind him and siblings ahead, he quickly darted into the bushes. Peering from within the green foliage, he carefully watched with anticipation for when Logan and Barbara would leave. As both walked out the door and onto the road into town, he stealthily crept through the under brush and made his way back to the house. Standing at a window, he threw a number of small rocks towards it, and following it opened up, a large vine slithering down the side of the house.

Grabbing tightly to the long appendage, Tom quickly scaled the wall and found himself brought into his own room. He looked to the yellow-plant Pokémon standing before him and said,

"Thanks for that, Victreebel. Just like we had planned." It in return showed its admiration in shrill screech, but Tom knew what it meant. Wasting no time, the young teenager threw his backpack to the side and dumped out of it all of his school contents. He quickly searched about the room for the traveling items he had set out for himself late the night prior and stuffed them into his bag.

"Okay, I think I've got everything," Tom said to his father's Pokémon, as he made his way back to the window, "when they find out, you'll let them know I'll be fine, right?"
    It shrieked in return and proceeded to extend its vine once more down the side of the house, Tom climbing down upon. Waving goodbye, he proceeded to run as fast as his legs could carry him to his destination.

As the drizzle continued to follow on his head, his mind recalled the night before. Having heard of the Pokémon League's reformation in Johto and the call to young trainers, Tom had pleaded to his parents for sometime to allow him to journey on his own, just as his father had done when he was a young man. They would deny him at ever attempt, it all boiling down that last night into an argument. Things had been said, Tom had found himself grounded for quite some time. Not that he cared; this was the opportunity of a lifetime, and he wouldn't let any parental powers stop him. He would prove them wrong or… well, he didn't think he would die.

After some time of traveling, he arrived at the laboratory of Professor Walsh, the man whom had originally made the announcement for new trainers. Catching his breath from the long run over, Tom quietly approached the door and knocked three times. It opened up and an old man greeted the young boy.

"Oh, hello there," He introduced himself, "I am Professor Walsh. Can I assume you're here about-"

"Yes!" Tom shouted excitedly, "Uh… sorry. Yes, I-I had heard about this from friends. M-my name is Tom, Tom Barry. I'd like to become a trainer myself… is it true you have Pokémon to give out?"

"You'd be right, Tomberry. Please, come this way," The Professor offered Tom into the building. At the time, the young boy was still rather anxious. A swirl of excitement filled him as well as the prospect that he still maybe discovered by his parents before he had left town.

The old man came to a stop before a display of several Pokeballs and turned to Tom,
    "Inside each of these is a Pokémon chosen for starting trainers. Choose one and you will be able to begin your journey."

The anxiousness he was feeling suddenly spiked to a fever pitch, as his hand hovered carefully over each one. Considering the possible creatures within, he could only imagine what had been chosen and prayed that his would be a good choice. After having finally grasped one in his hand, he pushed its center button and released a great mass of energy. As it landed on the ground, its form solidified and revealed itself as a… Krabby.

All that tension and excitement that had been built within Tom suddenly, and non-thematically, left his person altogether. Professor Walsh however looked rather pleased,
    "Oh, you have chosen a Krabby then. A fine choice."

Tom wasn't sure what to say; of course he wasn't entirely pleased with his choice and would have liked to start with another, but that would seem to be rude to the professor. In fact, he wasn't even sure if he could get to choose again if he wanted to.

"Uh… yeah, great, just what I wanted," He eventually spoke, "Well, it looks like we're going to be working together now, Krabby…" He knelt down to speak with the aquatic creature on its level, but was greeted to sharp, blinding pain as it clamped its large pincers onto Tom's nose. Yelping out in pain, Krabby released its grip and let out a strange, gurgling noise, something that could be described as a laugh.

The Professor in turn let out a chuckle as well, "I'd say he likes you. I knew you'd make the right choice, Tomberry."

As he clutched his nose, glowing bright red, Tom merely stared at the old man and the foul-tempered crustacean before him. In that moment alone, his assumptions of the future seemed to be hampered somewhat. He said to himself quietly, "This better be worth the punishment when I get back home…"

Zeph.

Years
    Cooper was up bright and early that morning. Well, it wasn't so bright - but really early. You know, like before daylight breaks? Anyway, it was early.

He was sat there on the couch, eating his favourite cocolate mega sugar stuff. He watched with intent whatever was on - a lame daytime sitcom, a documentary, anything cool really. He jumped in his seat when his mum practically burst into the living room - hair still a mess and, dare he think it, in desperate need of some makeup.

"Cooper," she began

"Mmff?" was all he managed with an overloading mouth full of cereal,

"What time have you to be at Professor Walsh's?" she asked, eyes fixed on him in an uneasy way,

Cooper gulped louder than necissary, "About nine," he said before turning to the clock. It was nine sure enough.

"CRAP!" he shouted, nearly knocking over his breakfast as he bound off the sofa and got his jacket and essentials,

"Yea, 'crap' indeed," she said, following him to the door, "be careful Coop. Me and your father will miss you,"

Cooper sighed, "Relax ma, I'm not immmigrating. Jees..." he opened the front door and turned back to his mother, "Wish me luck!"

Cooper ran to where the lab was, hoping he wasn't late. He'd got up at freaking half five in the morning to avoid this situation. He sighed and sped up a little as he saw the building come into view.

He skidded to a perfect halt, right outside the main entrance. There he stood, pausing,

"Aww, there's always a door bell for these places." he mumbled before knocking instead. A middle aged man came to the door to answer him,

"Good morning son! What can I do you for?" he asked in a pleasant manner,

"I'm Cooper," Coop replied with a massive grin as he violently shook the unexpectant professor's hand, "here for my pokemon!"

"Oh, um, yes. Yes of course!" the man said with a laugh, "I'm Derek Walsh, please come in!"

Cooper nearly jumped inside and scanned for the pokemon. He found a long table with many pokeballs on it and quickly began to inspect,

"Ooh... got anything with scythes? Or, y'know something sharp?" he asked inquisitively, Walsh was about to speak,

"Oh! Oh! A Krabby! It's got claws!" Cooper blurted out as the professor sighed,

Cooper held the ball in his hand and paused, "... nah, on second thought - I hate seafood. Deteste it, honestly..." he put the ball back,

Walsh was again about to speak before he took in what Cooper had just said, "Wha? Y'know you don't eat the-"

"Aha! Found you!" Cooper said excitedly. He held up a second pokeball to his eyes:

"GLIGAR" was inscribed on it.

"I choose Gligar!" Cooper said. Professor Walsh sighed in relief,

"Great! Now, here's something else you'll need: a Pokedex and 5 pokeballs!" he handed them to Cooper, who just stood there, "...is, something up?"

"Just five?" he asked dissapointedly,

"It's in the budget kid. Anyway, thanks for coming here. Now go have an adventure!" Walsh said as he nodded to the door.

"Thanks bud!" Cooper said as he walked out of the lab again. He released his newest pokemon. The ball burst open and revealed the scorpion-like creature,

"Glii?" it said inquisitively,

"Awsome!" Cooper said in glee as he came down to meet his pokemon, "Hmm... your stinger's a little short - you must be a girl!"

"Gligar!" it replied happily,

"Well I'm Cooper, or Coop if you like - you're new partner in crime!" he said with a grin. Gligar's expression changed and her head cocked to the side,

"... it's an expression..."

"Gli! Gligar!" the pokemon responed as she hopped up and started to move forwards, using the gentle breeze to glide,

Cooper thought, "Y'know, Sorah is a kickass name. We should give it to you!" he called over to her as he followed suit.

Pokedex, new pokemon, $100 dollars. He was all set.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    With a happy grin, the young Jen Keil knocked a bit too harshly on the Professor of New Bark own's door. She shook her head, hair flinging a few water droplets from the small drizzle that was currently going on. It was a bit of a bummer to be starting her journey on a rainy day, but she figured it was just a sign that showed she would just have to show what she had in order to prove herself right off the bat.

The door opened and a lab assistant beckoned her inside where a number of other kids, all ranging her age and younger, each one with an excited face. The professor turned to her and smiled.

"Seems we're all here," he said unneccesarily. "You are all here to make your first step into a journey that will change your life," he began boldly. "It will be hard, and there will be times where you wish to return home, but if you wish to triumph, you will need to prevail and continue. Now, don't take my words lightly, but there is great danger in going out into the world. If there is a single one of you that is having second thoughts, please say so."

No one said a word.

The professor smiled, though this one looked a little strained. "Very well." He beckoned at his aid and the young man handed out several pokeballs and a single pokedex to each person. Jen fingered hers with awe. "Now go on," he said, tone lighter, "and choose your partner."

There was a moment of silence before a cry of delight echoed throughout the lab, each teen rushing over to the table with pokeballs. Jen thought she could see names but didn't bother to read any. She just grabbed the first one she saw and held it tightly, feeling some sort of childish triumph as she backed off from the others, eyes wide and bright with excitement.

"Thanks, man!" she called excitedly, getting a baffled look from the man. With a cheeky grin, she rushed out of the lab, intent on heading out to the route that would take her to the next town and allow her to meet her starter pokemon.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years

Tom got out of bed to see it had been raining. The streets were covered in a moist glimmer of water. It was 9:00, as Tom could tell. Considering that the sun was up at a 34 degree angle, and it was the middle of Summer, it must have been.

"Wait,

OH GOD NO!!"

He ran to his closet to find whatever he could. Luckily, all of his clothes looked the same. Why was he late? What did he do last night? Oh, yeah.

His friend Sarah called about a horde of Qwilfish hanging out in the local lake. He rushed over with his pet Drifloon and saw the Quilfish eyeing him angrily.

"It must've been weird for those Qwilfish," he thought "Here we are, thinking how weird they look, and they must be thinking the same thing looking at us."

He threw on his black pants and green shirt and then stuffed almost all of the contents into his backpack. His Mom knew he was leaving today, and she was okay with it. Tom really wanted to see his Grandfather, Pryce, as he hadn't seen him since he was young.

He grabbed a couple of Apricorn Balls he had, and all the money he had earned helping his dad make Sushi. He knew he was late. At this rate he would get there by 10:00. The drizzle started to get harder. He grabbed a few more momentos and then ran down the stairs.

"Drifloon!?" His pet asked.

"No Drifloon," he sighed "I don't want any lemonade..."

His Drifloon only knew one trick, and that was how to make lemonade, considering a glass and a lemonade mix were the only thing the poor creature could lift up.

Thomas pushed past the purple balloon Pokemon, and rushed to the door.

"CREAK!" the door creaked open, and a small drizzle was found. Thousands of raindrops falling onto the pavement.

Tom realized that it was currently 9:45, perhaps if he ran he could make it. As he ran, his shoes splashed in the puddles the descending water had made. He noticed another group of kids running too.

After running through a lake of rain, he reached Prof. Elm's laboratory. It was the second biggest building in the town, first being the large bank on the south end.

The doors opened into the massive room which contained several hundred boxes, books, and computers. He saw that there was nobody in there and Prof. Elm was nowhere to be seen! He could have sworn this was the right place!

Oh, wait! He remembered now! This lab was sold by Elm a while back! And some guy named Drake, no, Derek Walsh bought it. He stepped in and called out "HELLO!?"

"Yes?"

"AAUUGH!!" he shrieked in fright, not realizing that Mr. Walsh was behing him

"I'm sorry," Thomas said "Um, is this where I get my-"

"Pokemon? Yes."

"So where is everybody?"

"Oh, people come and go when they please."

"But the flier said-"

"The flier said around 9:00"

"Oh, sorry."

They stood in an awkward silence.

"So where are the Pokemon?" Thomas finally asked

"Oh! Follow me."

The Professor led him threw vast hallways, and past fluid filled jars, containing the embryos of several Pokemon. Thomas shuddered at the stereotypical Laboratory. Mr. Walsh stopped at a small round table with indents containing a few Pokeballs.

"Alright, choose your Pokemon while get the application forms for Trainers."

After Mr. Walsh left, Thomas contemplated which one he should choose. The lighting was too dim, even if these were the old models, to see what they were. He looked at one that looked like it had a white substance coming out of it. It was a solid no doubt. Was it a Munchlax? Tom grabbed it decisevely and waited for Mr. Walsh to return.

After filling out the paperwork and recieving a Pokedex, Thomas ran outside to find the rain had stopped. He held the overstuffed Pokeball in his hand, very confused. Pokeballs turned Pokemon into energy, they didn't literally stuff them in. How could this be possible!?

Thomas held his Pokeball high and threw it to the ground.

THWACK!

The Pokeball split open and out came a large fluffy creature. It had a dark blue face, and bright yellow fur filled with life and energy.

"MAREEEP!!!" The creature yelled happily. It jumped back and forth as happy as could be.

"Wait, get back!!" Thomas yelled, and ran after him out of the small city.

Broadway

Find your wings.
    Years
    The drizzle that morning hadn't bothered Jethro at all—he refused to let it. True enough that the newly added lining in one of his capes kind of helped-- Mom had specially ordered him some windbreaker fabric, and that between the two layers of sturdy purple cloth meant it would keep the wind and the rain off, and looked awesome and heavy. It draped better than the other one, really, though it didn't billow as good in the wind... And he was wearing it now. The weather had cleared pretty well, but one never knew...

"The hero's journey begins with the first test of character," Jethro declared, as he strode towards the Pokemon Professor's lab, keeping an eye out for any leftover mud. It wouldn't be cool or heroic if his cane got stuck, but the road was dry now, and clear, and he got a good rhythm going, his cape swishing around his legs. "A little wet weather is no match for a stalwart heart and a clear head," he added. "Our brave knight's eye is not clouded by... uh... clouds," he finished, and squinted upward at the bright sky. "Not now, anyway!"

He looked around himself, head high, looking over the familiar sights of his hometown, the well-known buildings and scenery making him grin with the knowledge that he'd be off somewhere totally new. It filled him up and made him keep his back straight and shoulders square. He was a hero of New Bark, he would be representing his town wherever he went! He would have to abide by his code of honour and show all of Johto that New Bark made fine trainers.

Trainers that could face down the ever-growing thread of wild pokemon. He lifted his chin in automatic defiance at that thought, remembering the swarm of Rattata that had messed up his leg by causing that car accident up outside Goldenrod. Stuff like that had stopped people from traveling much at all.

"The roads will be safe again," Jethro said firmly, and tossed a smile in the direction of old Mrs Callahan, one of the town librarians, as she passed him on the street with that funny expression so many people had around him. She did smile back, though, and even if she rolled her eyes a little, it was in a nice way. A lot of people did that, too. "I am on my true quest," he told her, brandishing his cane in a very brave and bold way.

"That's good, dear," she replied. "You be careful out there now, hear?"

She looked sincere about that, so Jethro lowered his cane and bowed, grabbing the edge of his cape to swoop it in front of him for extra knightly style. "Fair lady, the deeds I undertake in your name will be great, but fear not, I will prevail." Wow, that was a good line, Jethro thought, pleased with himself. Gotta remember that for my next game.. He was planning to play a chivalry-minded character in that one. Even if it might be a heck of a while before he got to roll dice with Bart and Devon and Chris again... but they'd made him promise to email them a lot, same as Mom and Dad and Maddie and Wade. He wouldn't miss 'em too much.

He straightened from his bow to meet Mrs Callahan's indulgent amusement, and they parted ways with a last wave. Buoyed further by that encounter, he picked up the pace, speeding up into the hop-skip jogging pace.

Professor Walsh's lab came in sight not too much later, and Jethro opened the door without knocking, and stood in the doorway for a second. It was more dramatic that way (and also, his eyes could adjust to the inside).

One of Walsh's assistants was staring at him kind of uncertainly, his arms full of file folders, Jethro lifted his can to touch the top end to his head in a salute. "Greetings, servant to the great wise one!"

"Servant?" the young man repeated, eyebrows drawing together in a disbelieving frown.

"Never mind, never mind," Professor Walsh came around a stand of overstuffed bookshelves, and urged the assistant on through a door off to the side. "It's one of the new trainers," he said, and closed the door behind the assistant.

"Apologies, good sir!" Jethro called after him. He looked at Walsh. "I would never presume to impug... uh... impyu... insult him."

"Impugn," Walsh offered, and Jethro nodded gratefully. He'd seen that one in a book, but never actually heard it used.

"Yeah!" he said, and Walsh laughed quietly.

"You're Jethro, I suspect," Walsh said, and when Jethro did the bow-and-cape-flourish for him, he laughed a little more and waved for Jethro to follow him. "Time for you to pick someone out. Usually I wonder if the trainers are ready for the pokemon... I wonder if the pokemon are ready for you," he said, eyeing Jethro with that familiar amused look.

"I have give my word, but will again, wise one. It is my honour at stake were I to do less than my utmost."

"Good," Walsh said. "Alright then. Make your choice," he said, gesturing expansively at the pokeballs on the table. Not many, but they were all different. And how was he supposed to know which would be best?

"It's destiny," Jethro decided. "Fate's hand is reaching down to guide mine, and..." he took a step back, closed his eyes, and held out his cane. He lowered it slowly until it touched something. A light poke, and the something moved. One of the pokeballs, on the first try. He tapped it hard enough to set it rolling, then opened his eyes and dashed around the table, just in time to catch it when it fell off the back. He lifted it triumphantly and turned it to read the information etched into the bright surface.

"Aipom," he said aloud, then tossed it up and snatched it from the air again. "We'll meet in a few moments, my friend," he said, and grinned at the Professor, who smiled back.

"There are a few other supplies, before you take your squire off to adventure," he told Jethro, and Jethro put the Aipom's ball in his hoodie pocket as he eagerly accepted the Pokedex and the extra pokeballs.

"I will carry your legend far and wide across this land!" Jethro said a little while later, as Walsh saw him off.

Behind Walsh, the assistant appeared, and when Jethro waved, the man called out, indignant, "I'm a grad student!!"

"Okay, let's see," Jethro muttered as he at last took the pokeball from his pocket and found the button. He started to press it. He stopped himself just before it clicked down, though, and shucked off his backpack so his cape hung perfectly. He planted his cane firmly against the ground, struck a dashing pose, and then pushed the button. "Let me lay eyes upon my new partner in this trainer quest!"

The red light flickered out and solidified into a big-headed and big-eared shape with a little body and a looong tail. The Aipom turned around once before orienting onto Jethro and looking up at him.

Jethro had seen pictures of Aipom before. He knew they had those big ears, a grippy tail-end, almost-fingerless hands... and big huge grins.

This one looked serious, and that was weird. It seemed to be waiting.

"Hi there," Jethro said softly, and it blinked at him. He added, "greetings, young one. We are to be partners, you and I, going far and wide across this great land."

The Aipom stood a little straighter at that, like this it.. no, wait this one was a male, Walsh had said, so he seemed to like the sound of that.

Jethro gripped his cane and crouched down awkwardly. His leg didn't do this position well. The Aipom studied him as he struggled a little to balance, and then Jethro was able to look him in the eye. "I can see you're serious about it," he said. "You have a stalwart soul. There couldn't be a better companion, I feel it in my heart."

And that might have been an exaggeration, but Jethro did feel good about this already. The Aipom might not be wearing that big grin like most did but he didn't look angry or distrustful or like he didn't want to be there, he just looked... ready. And after a few more seconds of looking at Jethro, his ears pricked up a bit, his tail came around the front to lift the corner of Jethro's cape experimentally, letting it fall as he watched.

"Like that, huh. I'll make you one, then. And you can be... yes!" Professor Walsh had already given him a perfect name. "Squire! That's someone who travels with a knight, learns to fight!"

The Aipom took a step back, and nodded once, his expression hardening up briefly into something just shy of fierce, and his tail-end stiffened into a clawed grasping hand. Jethro heaved himself back to his feet, shaking out the twitch that the position had given his bad leg. "Well then, Squire... let us be off, for what awaits us is the biggest adventure there is."

Or at least... they'd find it, Jethro thought happily. For now, the route to Cherrygrove would do juuuuust fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back