• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed: A ROM base without the ROM [DEMO v0.6]

Years

• Hey Axis. Clearly not OP here, but I collaborated with Johto Blaziken for a bit on a few maps a couple years back. I worked on an enhanced FRLG remake called Pokémon Zero (which you can find on this site) with modern generation mechanics. I believe JB and I had a similar philosophy that anyone can modify/improve our games, so I highly doubt this is in bad taste, especially considering JB has not been around for years.

Anyway, Pokémon Zero is fully playable from end to end, and some of the bugs and unfinished events you mentioned in your post are sorted in Pokémon Zero. If you'd like, take a look at the project and lift whatever you want from it. It's not perfect, but perhaps it could help you out.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    As long as you make all available non-Kanto pokemon, including those that either evolve into or from Kanto species, available to get WITHOUT HAVING TO COMPLETE THE SEVII ISLANDS FIRST, it will be LEAGUES better than the original remake, pun intended. I hated it being impossible to have an Umbreon or Crobat despite having met the conditions minus completing the postgame, which was a slog in itself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The following is a list of fixes & changes I have made to JohtoBlaziken's original Bootleg FireRed v0.6 release:
    -The faulty TitleScreens script under 'UPI Installed' in the Script Editor was deleted, making it much easier for players to boot up the game directly from the .exe
    -Added the New Game intro when Professor Oak first talks to the player, so that a player nickname can be set
    -Changed the duration of the fade out to 2 seconds for the rival theme when he leaves Oak's lab after you first defeat him
    -The originally prolonged fadeout duration of 10 seconds caused overlaps in BGM/audio, and potentially resulting in crashes for certain players
    -Removed the Oak Aide that gives out the Running Shoes; instead the player is now able to run from the start of the game
    -Fixed a crash from interacting with the Mart Rep on Route 1
    -Fixed a crash from interacting with the Nidoran trade NPC on Route 5, by changing up her dialogue slightly to not call for the gender symbol text
    -Moved the XOR Test NPC into an unreachable spot in Vermilion City, to prevent players from potentially crashing the game by attempting to interact with it
    -Reconstructed the wooden walk bridges on Route 12 to use the tileset of the walk bridge used in Vermilion City
    -The nature of the new (but now traversable bridges) is still buggy, due to the layer underneath the bridges being Surf-able water tiles
    -Added a new heal script to the heal circle on the 5th floor of the Pokemon Tower (which previously lacked said script by default)
    -Changed the metadata for Rock Tunnel to have darkness enabled (it previously did not have it enabled by default)
    -Created a new Bill NPC in his house, who simply gives you the S.S. Ticket upon talking to him
    -The previous events/NPCs inside the house were incomplete in coding & lacked any actual storing of the S.S. Ticket in the player's bag
    -Moved the Warptest NPC into an unreachable spot inside the Pokemon League Building Lobby, to prevent players from accidentally warping straight to the Champion Room
    -Fixed the coding for the Psychic trainer NPCs inside Saffron Gym to call for 'PSYCHIC_M' instead of 'PSYCHIC' (which previously crashed the game before being fixed)
    -Fixed the coding for all Burglar trainer NPCs on Cinnabar Island to call for 'BURGLAR' instead of 'BURLAR' (which previously crashed the game before being fixed)
    -Fixed the coding for a few trainer NPCS on Route 11, whose intros were calling for non-existent trainer class intros
    -'Electrician' was changed into 'Engineer', and 'Gamer' was changed into 'Gambler'
    -Removed an invisible stray player touch-activated warp tile that would transfer the player from the Celadon Condominium Rooftop into the Route 5/6 Underground Path
    -Added in the player transfer event scripts for the staircases inside the Cinnabar Mansion
    -Please note that the basement is readily accessible from the 1st Floor, due to the statue-gate system having never been implemented into Bootleg FireRed
    -Added in the player transfer event scripts for the ladders inside the Seafoam Islands
    -Please note that the boulder puzzle & water currents were never originally implemented, but are no longer necessary for navigating through the Seafoam Islands
    -Similarly, the boulder puzzle for Victory Road was never originally implemented in Bootleg FireRed, and is no longer needed for navigation either
    -None of the warp tile scripts were originally implemented inside Silph Co. or Saffron Gym, so both locations were revised as follows:
    -New warp tile event scripts were created from scratch only for the two warp tile pairs needed to reach Gary & Giovanni inside Silph Co.
    -Notably, none of the sideways-facing Card Key doors were ever originally implemented inside Silph Co.
    -The layout & trainer arrangement inside Saffron Gym has been changed to instead require the player to battle each trainer in order to reach Sabrina
    -All of the non-functional warp tiles inside the gym have been removed, and the walls in each room slightly changed to allow navigation without the warps
    -A stray gate inside the Cinnabar Gym (which relied on the Card Key instead of the non-existent quiz system) has been removed
    -The HM/badge system has been properly set to require # number of badges, instead of assigning each field move to a specific badge
    -The fishing mechanics have been set to FR/LG-style, instead of RSE-style (i.e.; disabling the fishing bite reaction test)
    -Trimmed the duration of the 'frlg_heal' audio file by editing out prolonged silence, to allow in-game BGMs to resume quicker whenever the player heals the team
    -Removed a ledge on Route 4, to allow players to backtrack from Cerulean City back towards Pewter City
    -Added in the rest of the code needed for the Magikarp Salesman inside the Route 4 Pokemon Center to function properly & actually [attempt to] sell a Magikarp
    -The Rock Smash HM/TM being unobtainable (as the Sevii Islands were never made in the original Bootleg FireRed project) has warranted the following change:
    -Any rocks inside the Cerulean Cave that would've otherwise required Rock Smash for navigation have been removed, to allow players to reach Mewtwo

Thank you for the great update.
    At this point what is missing to do actually? (I know that the original dev abandoned the project, but you seem really good at this so maybe you are also willing to keep the project up)
    I really would like to help in case you decide to "regrab" this project and finish it once and for all
    (otherwise I may try to fix and add some qol by myself, even if I'm completely new in the rpgmaker scenario)

edit- I still have to buy/download rpgmaker just to give you an idea of how much I'm into rpgmaker game making scene ^^'

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Hi, while I'm also not the original dev I had previously made some fixes (over 2 years ago now) and never got around to uploading an updated version.
    I've decided to take a look at this again and at least try and get all of the "still needs to be done" stuff done from the OP (puzzles, update essentials etc.). I also quite like the idea of a mew event and have one in mind (with a similar trigger to the Gen 1 mew glitch but has an actual small story).
    Currently I'm about 2/3 done updating to essentials v19.1 and have some of the puzzles such as Silph Co. warp tiles and rocket hideout done as well as ghost pokemon in the Pokemon Tower. I've also added in some of AxisVactaire's fixes that I originally missed when I looked at this the first time.

I'm aiming to upload an update towards the end of this weekend/early next week if people would like to have a play around with it. I would appreciate feedback on bugs etc. The intention is that it will be fully playable (including puzzles) up to (probably not including) Cinnabar Island at the moment.

I do plan to include the Sevii Islands eventually but might just add an NPC that lets you skip them for now.

Edit: clealy a bit of a delay with this but I will post an update when I get around to it, quite looking forward to playing a completed version of this myself.

Last edited:

Penny55gg

Idiot
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hi, while I'm also not the original dev I had previously made some fixes (over 2 years ago now) and never got around to uploading an updated version.
    I've decided to take a look at this again and at least try and get all of the "still needs to be done" stuff done from the OP (puzzles, update essentials etc.). I also quite like the idea of a mew event and have one in mind (with a similar trigger to the Gen 1 mew glitch but has an actual small story).
    Currently I'm about 2/3 done updating to essentials v19.1 and have some of the puzzles such as Silph Co. warp tiles and rocket hideout done as well as ghost pokemon in the Pokemon Tower. I've also added in some of AxisVactaire's fixes that I originally missed when I looked at this the first time.

I'm aiming to upload an update towards the end of this weekend/early next week if people would like to have a play around with it. I would appreciate feedback on bugs etc. The intention is that it will be fully playable (including puzzles) up to (probably not including) Cinnabar Island at the moment.

I do plan to include the Sevii Islands eventually but might just add an NPC that lets you skip them for now.

Edit: clealy a bit of a delay with this but I will post an update when I get around to it, quite looking forward to playing a completed version of this myself.

OooOoo, I would love to play around with it :)

CloudyDayJoy

Ariel
    Years
    • they/them
    • USA
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Originally Posted by PomegGlitch [ Original Post ]

Oh! I'd love to see it! I plan to finish up the base game with a focus on getting Sevii Islands in, and was about to start working off of AxisVactaire's update when I saw your post. So I'll hold off until you post your update since it would be more efficient to work off of what you have. Do you still plan on posting it soon?

Years
  • Thank you very much! I am trying to make a game, and I want with the current tile set I'm using to copy the original maps of Kanto exactly, then make my own changes later. So this project will be helpful to do that easily, it's better to look at tiles for a precise size rather than looking at some images and trying to calculate!
    Arugato :D

Years
  • I finished the whole thing it took me 4 months as with essentials v19 allot of Zerokid has changed so I made my own let me know if I should release it to update it as it contains all the seviis but consider removing the day-care in Four Island as I also want to add that all pokemon that are in the kanto dex cannot evolve but dont know if it is possible to make something like that Johto Blaziken :)

CloudyDayJoy

Ariel
    Years
    • they/them
    • USA
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I finished the whole thing it took me 4 months as with essentials v19 allot of Zerokid has changed so I made my own let me know if I should release it to update it as it contains all the seviis but consider removing the day-care in Four Island as I also want to add that all pokemon that are in the kanto dex cannot evolve but dont know if it is possible to make something like that Johto Blaziken :)

I would greatly appreciate it. 👀

Back