• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

just what is mew?

Azonic

hello friends
Years
He was supposed to be a cat. Hence "Mew", a sound a cat makes. To contradict this, it has a long mouse-like tail, and its forward legs are more mouselike than catlike. Though it does have cat hears, and its snout looks like it belongs to a cat. It is supposed to be a cat though.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
The PokéDex entries in the games should say. Pikachu for example is an "electric mouse Pokémon".

Now, I don't care enough about it to set out to see Mew in any of the games, so I leave getting its entry to you...

DiggorysGremlin

Screw Pokemon. Facepunch ftw.
Years
It's a FOETUS people. Yes, that's how you spell it. It's transforms, it's APPARENTLY the ancestor of all Pokemon and in the first movie, you can see Mew in a bubble in the FOETAL POSITION. Point made. I declare this thread dead.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2014
mew is obviously a cat! I mean it's name is mew what more proof do you need?

XaRhS

anyways.....all of the pokemon are reflecting something.....for example smeargle is a painter!ursaring is a bear.......etc.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
  • Age 92
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
Diggory, a foetus spends the final trimester upside down in the womb. I've never seen mew flying upside down. Besides, since when have foetus had massive feet and tails?

Mew is neither a cat, nor a mouse. It's like trying to categorise mewtwo, celebi ect. But of the options given it's a mouse

XaRhS

don't torture yourselves.the main point is that mew is a legendary no matter what animal it is

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
heres a link to find out lots more about mew if interested:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_(Pokémon)

To quote:
Origin

Mew shares some traits with felines. It is also similar to an animal embryo. It is purported to be the first Pokémon from which all others are descended, in the same way that all animal embryos look identical at an early stage of development.
Name origin

Mew's name may refer to its cat-like appearance, with mew being the sound a kitten makes, the Japanese word unique (myō), or the English word mutant (myūtanto).

Enuff said.

DiggorysGremlin

Screw Pokemon. Facepunch ftw.
Years
It is also similar to an animal embryo. It is purported to be the first Pokémon from which all others are descended, in the same way that all animal embryos look identical at an early stage of development. [quote]

Exactly. And it's name MAY be mew, or myuu in Japanese, but that is the SOUND it makes, and bases it off of that. Sure it sounds like a cat, but read the entire comment I quoted than. However, this is discussing What Mew IS, not what it's name means, but I used that as an example.

In closure, just read the quote.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
Years
Marriland.com said:
Species: New Species Pokemon
Mew is a new species Pokemon. It doesn't have to be based of a cat or a mouse. I mean, look at Gastrodon! What the hell was that thing based off of ...wait. Maybe it's a slug *shot'd*

Anyways, there's still tons of Pokemon who aren't based on a anything at all! Who says Mew has to be either cat or mouse. Why can't it be in between?

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
Years
Mew is a new species Pokemon. It doesn't have to be based of a cat or a mouse. I mean, look at Gastrodon! What the hell was that thing based off of ...wait. Maybe it's a slug *shot'd*[/SIZE=1]

In the case of Gastrodon, its a play on the words "gastropod" and "mastodon" in terms of name. Those words relate to snails and slugs, although that is relevantly off-topic.

Mew, however, is supposedly a kitten. Yes, it does have a sort of fetus shape and thus, its tail could be the umbilical cord. (Do kittens have those?) But then that means...

Mew is really Giygas!

Back