• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jynk's gone bad

Akio123

Sadness forever...
Years
  • The children's author who first brought up this debate angered me and my friend. She said Jynx wasn't black friendly. It's a ganguro not a blackface. >_> Honestly, people need to have better things to do with their time.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Oh yeah I forgot about that but you can not take risks with that kind of thing and may I note that Ganguro is so not cute.

Years
  • Man, I shouldn't have touched this debate with a 50 ft pole, I'm not the type of Black Woman who likes talking about race anyway.

Anyway If the chick wouldn't have said something about it, than someone will. Either way, I don't care since I love Smoochum better.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Hmm. It is one thing if you're a completly different race and just say it's offensive because you think it *might* be. But then, it may be just as ignorant to be a different race and say you don't think it's offensive so it's stupid to think that it is. We can't really say how other people are feeling, sometimes ~ but yeah, Jynx looks cooler purple, I think. It's more of an ice colour, sort of.

Years
  • Yeah the editors won't even try to look back on that episode. That was years ago, but hey we in 2009. Thank the Lord Jesus Christ and the heavenly father Jehovah. That we made it to this year. And this year is all about change right? So lets try to make this year better, then how it was in the previous years. Because Barrack Obama is going to restore and rebuild America.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • Here's the thing, I'm black and not really offended by it. I'm more offended that people could actually perceive a race to look like that. Not to mention there are SOOOOO many more offensive Pokemon. I mean look at Ludicolo, Honchkrow, and others. My friends and I made a list with all 493 saying what people could perceive as offensive. Jynx was not the worst because we know its not suppose to be a black person.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Man, I shouldn't have touched this debate with a 50 ft pole, I'm not the type of Black Woman who likes talking about race anyway.

Anyway If the chick wouldn't have said something about it, than someone will. Either way, I don't care since I love Smoochum better.

I totally understand where your coming from. The topic of race is iffy because people view it differently. and btw I love smoochum better too! ^_^

Years
  • Here's the thing, I'm black and not really offended by it. I'm more offended that people could actually perceive a race to look like that. Not to mention there are SOOOOO many more offensive Pokemon. I mean look at Ludicolo, Honchkrow, and others. My friends and I made a list with all 493 saying what people could perceive as offensive. Jynx was not the worst because we know its not suppose to be a black person.
    Lol I agree with you on that, and plus look at honchkrow that looks even more, yeah I don't know why the editors put out Jynk like that.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Here's the thing, I'm black and not really offended by it. I'm more offended that people could actually perceive a race to look like that. Not to mention there are SOOOOO many more offensive Pokemon. I mean look at Ludicolo, Honchkrow, and others. My friends and I made a list with all 493 saying what people could perceive as offensive. Jynx was not the worst because we know its not suppose to be a black person.

What? Honchcrow? How is that offensive? I mean it really does not bother me with Jynx but I think it should be best to keep it the new way. Some are offended by it.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • What? Honchcrow? How is that offensive? I mean it really does not bother me with Jynx but I think it should be best to keep it the new way. Some are offended by it.

It's a mafia parody, as such people will associate it with Italians or Russians.>_> Not that I see it that way at all, and I really hope no one thinks I believe that. And I agree with you, its just that I think that they should not have been sued for Jynx.

Years
  • To quote Stephen Fry: "Sometimes political correctness exists more in the furious minds of its enemies than in reality, which gets on with compromise and common sense without too much hysteria." An awful lot of ado was made over very little due to one criticism - people jumped on the bandwagon out of fear as being labelled as bigoted themselves. =/

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
  • That's the thing though, just about anything can be construed as politically incorrect. What I believe is that unless things are egregiously offensive, people should just not care. I mean taking time out of your day to censor a children's show? Come on now. It's not like Satoshi Tajiri, the Pokemon company, the animators, are all in some lair underground plotting the downfall of humanity using Pokemon. >_>

Years
  • Well, they should have made a jynx evolution in generation 4 since jynx ,magmar and electabuzz were the original non-legendaries kanto trio in generation 1, and than they all had baby pokemon in generation 2. But in generation 4, only magmar and electabuzz got evolution....
    I LOVE JYNX!
    and it's not racist!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Well, they should have made a jynx evolution in generation 4 since jynx ,magmar and electabuzz were the original non-legendaries kanto trio in generation 1, and than they all had baby pokemon in generation 2. But in generation 4, only magmar and electabuzz got evolution....
    I LOVE JYNX!
    and it's not racist!

hmm I didn't notice that about the evolutions. That's a good point. Maybe in 5th gen.

Years
  • I think whoever started the whole racist thing just doesn't like Pokemon or something aand tried to get it kicked out.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • In the olden days when racism was more open and horrifying, people who drew black people had a tendency to draw them in a very exaggerated manor. Blackest of skin, wide, white eyes and the bulging huge lips. It was almost like how the Nazi's drew the Jews in a derrogatory way and I can understand why there might be a bit of stress involved with Jynx, making everyone a bit uncomfortable.

But yea, when I was little I didn't understand either. All I knew was that one of the strong and baddest ice types around became extremely ugly!

Back