• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Kanto Expansion Pak

Days
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Kanto Expansion Pak

Download:
https://github.com/PlagueVonKarma/kep-hack/releases

This is a ROM Hack of Pokémon Red and Blue, aiming to expand the Kanto region with new Kanto-related Pokémon, more interesting locations, QoL changes, and more.
Initially started off as a Showdown mod on the DragonHeaven server (Playable here!) before being developed as a full ROM Hack.

If playing on an emulator, BGB is strongly recommended for its accuracy and features. Inaccurate emulators, such as VBA and TGB Dual, can experience unintended glitches. This hack is fully playable on official hardware as well.

A full, more detailed description of the hack's added features can be found in the GitHub repository's README, which I'd recommend reading here: https://github.com/PlagueVonKarma/kep-hack/blob/master/README.md

The patch is confirmed to work with a Red ROM, Blue may work as well but going with Red is a safer bet.

Important links:
https://github.com/PlagueVonKarma/kep-hack (the hack's GitHub repo, where you can view the source code and download the patch.)
https://discord.gg/Dk4rkexErc (the hack's associated Discord server)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cP8tvoj19__bx08hSG7dOtefVcdaNwZXohVu1RKzjPI (a Pokedex spreadsheet for the hack, made by LadyMisticus, that details each Pokemon's stats, location, the teams of important trainer fights, where to find useful items, TMs, and more!)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdXNklPbyHXa-1szOZJjn2NBS-uUoXf69 (a playlist of newly-added songs for the hack, all composed by LuciShrimp)

Summary:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Hey! Not to sound like quite the noob, I went through the docs in order to learn how to evolve a Raichu into a Gorochu and it just said trade, Is this referring to an item like a Trade Stone, or do I have to literally trade via another copy of Kanto expansion pak via an emulator? Thanks in advance!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Hey! Not to sound like quite the noob, I went through the docs in order to learn how to evolve a Raichu into a Gorochu and it just said trade, Is this referring to an item like a Trade Stone, or do I have to literally trade via another copy of Kanto expansion pak via an emulator? Thanks in advance!

Copied the relevant part from the github. Enjoy!

A Trader NPC is featured in Cinnabar Lab's trade room to allow for evolving in-game trade evolutions without requiring another game. When doing this, the OT, ID, and statistical traits are preserved, making the NPC effectively a really snazzy evolution stone. This is done with the understanding that trading is an evolution method in and of itself, and thus should not be excluded from the game like it is in some ROM Hacks, nullifying it through level-based evolution. Cinnabar Lab was the chosen location for theming and to balance the extremely strong trade evolutions RBY has, chief among them Alakazam.

The following Pokemon evolve via trade, and thus require Cinnabar Island access to evolve:

PokemonEvolutionNotes
GravelerGolem
KadabraAlakazam
MachokeMachamp
HaunterGengar
SeadraKingdra
RaichuGorochu (Reference to the mistranslated man in Cinnabar Lab
PrimeapeAnnihilape)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Thank you so much! Kinda low-key sucks that I have to be that far into the game in order to use Annihilape and Gorochu, but it is what it is. :/
Yeah, I feel the same for Annihilape but the creator is right especially for Alakazam...

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Turns out you can actually trade with the same copy of the game if your emulator supports it. I tested it out on pizzaboy, and it worked like a charm! Got myself an Annihilape with 3 badges so far.

Mariohammer

Pokemon Collector
Years
Hey, loving the hack so far. Quick question. I screwed up and didn't even think to throw a Pokeball at a certain Pokemon in Silph Co. Was that my one shot at getting that guy? Saved after for the following boss fight haha. Thanks!

Days
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Hey, loving the hack so far. Quick question. I screwed up and didn't even think to throw a Pokeball at a certain Pokemon in Silph Co. Was that my one shot at getting that guy? Saved after for the following boss fight haha. Thanks!
You'll get another chance after beating the Champion! It'll be on the top floor again in a different room.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Turns out you can actually trade with the same copy of the game if your emulator supports it. I tested it out on pizzaboy, and it worked like a charm! Got myself an Annihilape with 3 badges so far.
I'm so happy for you! But I already think I have more than enough emulators in my phone. I don't need another one 😂

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I've noticed that a lot of the alternate forms of Pokemon like Hisuian Arcanine are only available through in-game trades. Does this mean that they will eventually disobey if I level them up above the level that badges permit traded mons to? Asking because my traded mons don't seem to get boosted experience. Thanks in advance!

Days
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I've noticed that a lot of the alternate forms of Pokemon like Hisuian Arcanine are only available through in-game trades. Does this mean that they will eventually disobey if I level them up above the level that badges permit traded mons to? Asking because my traded mons don't seem to get boosted experience. Thanks in advance!
Disobedience was removed as well, don't worry!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Hey-o, so I reached Articuno in Seafoam islands, but whenever I throw an ultra ball it says "It's too strong, it destroyed the Ultra ball". Is there anyway I can catch it, or is it impossible?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024
I'm having the same problem but with Galarian Moltres in Citrine City, it keeps destroying my ultra balls T_T

Do I need to use a master ball, or need to do something else to catch it?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I actually managed to catch my Articuno, what I did was whittle its hp down to red, and paralyse it. I kept chucking ultra balls, and eventually it got caught. Do you know where Galarian Articuno is located, and is it available before the league! Thank you!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024
I actually managed to catch my Articuno, what I did was whittle its hp down to red, and paralyse it. I kept chucking ultra balls, and eventually it got caught. Do you know where Galarian Articuno is located, and is it available before the league! Thank you!
Yep, it's also somewhere around Citrine City, I don't want to spoil anything though.

You can only get it in the post game, after beating the league

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
So, I just managed to catch Moltres, and I saved my game. However, I cannot seem to get out of the volcano. I tried using Strength on the boulder, but to no avail as it refuses to budge despite saying that I can use strength. This might be a possible soft lock. I am the Pizza Boy Emulator.

Attachments

• Kanto exp.jpg
    Kanto exp.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1
Days
  • Age 19
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
So, I just managed to catch Moltres, and I saved my game. However, I cannot seem to get out of the volcano. I tried using Strength on the boulder, but to no avail as it refuses to budge despite saying that I can use strength. This might be a possible soft lock. I am the Pizza Boy Emulator.
This was an issue that's been fixed in 1.2. If you're on 1.0, you'll have to let your team faint to get back to a Pokémon Center.

Back