• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kiryu's Sprites.......and stuff like that

Years
  • My main issue with your fakes is their size. Seriously, they're waaaay too spindly and small for Pokémon. Let's take this guy:

firebutteryflyprevo-1.png

Now, let's compare it to the Nintendo caterpillars:

Spr_4h_010.png
    Spr_4p_265.png
    Spr_4h_013.png

Do you see what I'm saying? Just because a caterpillar is small and thin, doesn't mean that's what a Pokémonified version should be sprited like. The same could be said about the icy fox on this page alone, but I'll leave you to think about it.

Anyway, other than that, I think your shading and line work is impeccable, although your palettes are a bit strange in places. Maybe it'd be easier to give you help on that if your creatures were the right size :P

Kiryu

Zuko ftw *shot*
    Years
  • o hey havent posting in this for awhile >.>

Chimachi - fire -
    ChimachiNEW--1.png

Chimolky - fire earth -
    ChimolkyNEW.png

Elekitty - electric -
    Elekitty--1.png

Kiryu

Zuko ftw *shot*
    Years
  • ...nothing? these are so epic and perfect that there is absolutly NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM?

o.0'''?

these ARE going into a game so some good crit would be be nice... thx =D

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • o hey havent posting in this for awhile >.>

Chimachi - fire -
    ChimachiNEW--1.png

Chimolky - fire earth -
    ChimolkyNEW.png

Elekitty - electric -
    Elekitty--1.png

I'm assuming they're fakemon, am I right? The shading is off on all of them, remember the light source is in the top left. The first two need some work on the poses, none of the sprites to date are facing directly to the left. They generally face towards the bottom left, where the players pokemon is. Also, the palettes are kind of dull, I'd suggest using palettes from the original sprites. The lineart isn't to bad, though you may want to lengthen the tail on the first two and make the third sprite larger overall. Not a bad start, but they could use some work.

Years
  • Chimachi and Chimolky are rather similar in their designs and poses. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but they don't have much fine detail - the feet have no toes, the faces have no mouths, and they don't have much in the way of coloring. Not having one of these things doesn't make it bad, but not having any of them makes the sprites look unfinished. They are cute designs though.

WOOAAH!!!

So LOVELY!

Make more, NAO!

~KittenCry66
    Please try to add a little for detail to your comments. Saying you like someone's work is great for the ego, but constructive criticism is usually more helpful.

Kiryu

Zuko ftw *shot*
    Years
  • I'm assuming they're fakemon, am I right?

no.... they're spiriomon. somewhat different style of shading... and they usually face directly left =|

Scarf said:
    Chimachi and Chimolky are rather similar in their designs and poses. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but they don't have much fine detail - the feet have no toes, the faces have no mouths, and they don't have much in the way of coloring. Not having one of these things doesn't make it bad, but not having any of them makes the sprites look unfinished. They are cute designs though.

yeah.... i was gonna lighten chimachi alittle... and i guess i could add mouths to both... and chimolky's black part is suposed to be rock-like but idk how to do that D=

a new one:

Plasmion- fire / electric - spiriomon [it fails, i know... and i stink at thunderbolts. and the whole thing is kinda... off]

Years
  • a new one:

Plasmion- fire / electric - spiriomon [it fails, i know... and i stink at thunderbolts. and the whole thing is kinda... off]
    The tail isn't bad. It looks like a lightning bolt. You could maybe make it more exaggerated and larger, but the basics are there.

What this sprite needs is more contrast. It's hard to make out each of the legs, and the details on the face as well. The anatomy is also a little strange with the large head, long-ish neck, and small body. The shading is a little haphazard and doesn't give much of a send of lighting and depth. That might be in part because of the lack of contrast, but overall it looks kind of flat. You could maybe make the two back legs (that is, not the hind legs, but the ones further away) darker and the remaining two lighter. That would give a sense of depth even if it's not perfect lighting. Just a suggestion.

Kiryu

Zuko ftw *shot*
    Years
  • @Scarf: yeah... =| i stink at yellow...... ill try and fix it when i find time.

@KK M: i guess im like a co-founder to spiriomon.... and i just help with making the creatures. i should probably update the thing in my sig >.>

Years
  • Your sprites are cool as are you fakemon like stated before the size is a little different but I look forward to seeing more

Kiryu

Zuko ftw *shot*
    Years
  • thx~

ok then um anymore crits? the cat [*cough*Plasmion*cough*] obviously isnt done tho...

need a name for the plant thing... 3 stage evo final being a scorpion...

... yay my crap-sprites are perfect.

any crit for the latest? yez? noez?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Most of your sprites lack darker outline. So I suggest using black and dark colours for your lineart where the spots are shaded and aren't clearly exposed to your lightsource.

Also, please don't double post unless you have an update to make.

Kiryu

Zuko ftw *shot*
    Years
  • "Also, please don't double post unless you have an update to make."

? i didnt DP w/o update... >.> anyway...

yeah sure k ill try to darken the lineart when i have time.

Back