• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen LeafGreen Question

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    My opinion is: Since Bulbasaur is a grass type which are generally weak, i say evolve it. I never liked it's moves so your not really missing anything except for getting Solar Beam sooner.

Bottom Line: Evolve the bulbasaur to get the stats beefed up.

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    You'd better evolve it.. i know everyone loves it's pokemon as it is.. but no you won't be able to battle any pokemon with it in the first stage.. so better evolve it.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    wowowowo, you dont have to evolve it, but if not, the game will be very challenging, and when it's challenging its kinda fun, I beat it all with charmander, no regrets here :D proud to be a ? Nonevoler...
    It'll still learn some nessary moves...
    But you have to train hard and often, also your other pokemon got to be over par, and ready for anything...

You dont have to evolve it, just do what you want :D Just swing it and have fun!

I personally would love not evolving it, as you can go around boasting that you beat the game with a bulbasuar, \o/

SonicJump

Pokémon Lover
    Years
    Like Ash on Season 1; Pikachu is WHAT level now? I know he didn't have Pikachu evolve and he still runs into obstacles. I don't wanna beat LeafGreen like I did Gold when I was little with never losing a battle.

Thanks for the advice on bulking his stats up by evolving, but BeachBoy is right. It would be a challenge and I love challenges.

I might just evolve to Ivysaur. I love the evolutions of Bulbasaur but I'm looking for a great challenge!

Thanks all for helping me make a decision! =D

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    If it's not too late, let me add in another perspective:

EVs are gained either way, so your stat growth shouldn't actually be hindered. The only difference is that Bulbasaur has lower base stats than the rest of its evolution line (obviously). However, since you plan on evolving Bulbasaur later anyway (assuming you will after getting all Bulbasaur's moves early) and because it really isn't too difficult to beat the in-game trainers as long as you overlevel (as in, train against wild Pokemon until you're a few levels over most trainers in the area -- Gym Leaders especially), you can actually hold off on evolution until later without hurting yourself in the long run. The only thing you'll probably miss is the opportunity to learn Petal Dance, but that's really not entirely worth it.

SonicJump

Pokémon Lover
    Years
    So you're saying I can let him evolve later? Is there a certain stone or something?

I only played the games for what they were and I'm not getting back into it and now know of the statistics and this and that so sorry if these questions seem dull to you. =]

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    You can give it an everstone to stunt evolution, then take it off when you are ready. You can also press B while it's evolving to stop it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    You have to detach it then make it gain a level for it to evolve.

NOTE: If you have a L: 40 Bulbasaur and you remove the everstone and make it level up, it will NOt level straight up to Venesaur. It will go to Ivysaur at L:41 and Venesaur at L:42.

Back