• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least favorite rival

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2009
    Have you ever tried just turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them? that works for me...

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    The rivals from R/S/E - they were just midly annoying, whereas the others were proper rivals. However, I didn't like Silver, because he was mean and scary...
    No. Brendan (I was a girl) was my least favourite.
    xX

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    I never liked the rival from D/P. Most of his dialogue was completely worthless. It was pretty much an A-button mash-fest to scroll through all of his hyperactive, sugar-induced speech that I didn't want to read.

Agreed on the topic of the R/S rivals. They do seem a bit too friendly to be "rivals."

Years
    The rivals seem to be getting worse. Gary was always challenging and Silver scared me, but after that the rivals got easy to beat and weren't intimidating.
    Brendan/May weren't rivals, but friends, like people have said. Lucas is just lame, he has to be my least favorite.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    yea i would have to say brendan becuz he never got the competive side of u go crazy becuz he was too busy tryin to be ur friend.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 16, 2009
    Actually, i really like the relationship between brendan and may ^^ that was cute, but not the rival style.

The D/P rival is my least favorite -.- He's very hyperactive and "weak" xD

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    May (I'm a guy), not a doubt...Is she helping you or rivaling you?
    Silver was very challanging. Evil, but challanging. Paul is the anime basis of Silver; Id'e like to battle such a type of trainer (for good and bad)!

Years
    I liked all of the rivals, don't really have one that I REALLY hate, but like everyone else in life, they were a bit flawed.

Brendan to me was pretty...saucy. xD But I liked him.
    May was a bit too nice. But I'm a sucker for nice people.
    Gary...I've always been in love with him, I can't hate him. But at first, he did annoy me a little when he called me weak.
    Jun was funny, I liked him. But his theme and him running off like that kinda gave me a bit of a headache.

I can't truly hate them, cuz the PokeSpe crew were kinda based off them. I'm so in love with PokeSpe, I love all the characters, I can't bring myself to despise the characters in the games.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I can't believe I did not notice this :|
    I dont dislike any of them. I think Gary was the most cocky one and (to me) he was just a person you loved to hate ;)
    The Gold/Silver/Crystal was my favourote. He was so mysterious and cool...he stole his starter! (Not to mention he is most likely Giovanni's son! :D)
    The one in Diamond/pearl/Platinum (to me) provided comic relief however sometimes he was irritating and annoying. :\

The reason why RSE was (well, not least favourite, but least memorable) is because you dont fight them many times, they are no way in-depth and were, just as everyone has said, to nice. Seriously, [rival] gave [player] 5 pokeballs, gave [player] Go-Goggles, gave [player] itemfinder. :\

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Definitely the ones from R/S/E. They are not that much of a challenge compared to Gary in Firered/Leafgreen.

Years
    As many others have said, the R/S/E rivals were the most irritating. Wally was more of a rival when he wasn't actually supposed to be one, but even then he was awful. They were rivals who were just disappointing to battle, since I'd be able to take all of their pokemon out with one pokemon. -_-; They weren't exciting at all, I didn't even enjoy beating them.

As for my favourite, I'd have to go with the guy from G/S/C. While he was sort of scary and mean, he wasn't like Gary who was just irritating to me. He was pretty cool, and he wasn't easy every battle - I actually looked forward to battling him, and sometimes even trained my pokemon a little extra before I battled him since I knew I'd need it.

Gary and the D/P rivals aren't as bad as May/Brendan, but they aren't that exciting. The hyper guy and Lucas were both incredibly generic character, with absolutely no depth. They also bugged me a lot since whenever I'd be force to do a double battle with them, their first pokemon would absolutely weak... usually I'd just use a pokemon with surf to knock it out, but in my most recent game I could not because I didn't have a water pokemon on my team. :|

Hopefully if there's a 5th generation of games will have rivals more like Silver or even Gary, who are actually challenging and have a bit of personality. Although I'm still hoping for a G/S remake so I can see Silver again. :D

Back