• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least significant Pokemon of all time?

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years

Lucario.

Yes, I know; I've stated more than once in multiple threads that I do not like Lucario, and here I am, harping on again about Lucario in what might seem the most unlikely of threads. But I do not get the attention this thing gets, and I'm going to explain precisely why this is the PERFECT thread to mention it. First off, it's not a Legendary, and yet it stars in it's own damn movie. Then it replaced MEWTWO - which was one of the original badasses of the first generation - in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and made an unwelcome return in the 3DS/Wii U versions. Whenever a Lucario appears in the anime, a supermassive big deal is made out of it. Why? Asides from the movie one, it can't speak. It has a cheap overpowered special power like some godawful fanfic Mary Sue/Gary Stu, or one of those OP anime protagonists. It's the bloody Tatsuya of Pokemon, minus the creepy little sister and ability to raise the dea--oh wait, the eighth movie. My bad.

It stands amongst titans and, because of this, its lack of significance is highlighted all the more for me. It's because of its complete lack of significance - that is frequently ignored, glossed over, or outright warped to make it as powerful as Arceus itself - that I dislike Lucario so much. Lucario is worse than Pikachu when it comes to breaking things, but Pikachu has an excuse: it's the mascot of the series. Pikachu IS significant. Lucario is not. It's just another random Pokemon frequently brought to the spotlight for no reason. It's not even owned by one of the main cast. Yet it's blue furry backside is still being repeatedly shoved in our faces.

Lesser offenders would be Zoroark - which only has the movie offense - and Greninja - which has the SSB inclusion and that random Ash appearance thing - but Lucario is by far the worst. It's the least significant Pokemon to me because it tries so hard to be significant but there is NOTHING that makes it significant. It's obnoxious. Putting it mildly.

Lucario did NOT replace Mewtwo in Brawl. Mewtwo was planned alongside Lucario in the game, except Mewtwo was a much lower priority. Heck, Sonic was more of the reason why Mewtwo got cut: the hedgehog got in at last minute thanks to massive fan demand, and after he was added to the game, there was only enough time to add Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I'm not that big a fan of Gen 6 Pokemon in general so this might be personal bias on my part. But why does Clawitzer exist? It's a blue fusion of Crawdaunt and Kingler, and aside from its shiny reminding me of ice cream I just don't see the point. We already have a ton of shellfish Pokemon, and this one isn't even that unique. I also don't quite understand Talonflame that much either, as it's just one of the many early Flying types available and just doesn't look as cool as Swellow or Staraptor.

And as for legendaries... Why is Regigigas there? It's the trio master of Pokemon it just barely resembles and has no backstory beyond "it allegedly pulled continents around with rope." That's something Groudon can already do to some extent, and doesn't have much relation to the Regi Trio.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
    For me, it's every generation pikachu clones such as Gen 2 Pichu, Gen 3 Minun and Plusle, gen 5 Emolga and gen 6 Dedenne. (except for gen 4 pachirisu cause it won a world championship IRL)

Back