• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendaries are Over-Rated

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I have posted this some places, and said it in a few PMs, and it's time I announce it to the world.

I think Legendary Pokemon are over-rated and cliché​

Yes, that's right. Listen, you tell me you just beat Emerald version with an awesome team, then tell me later on your star of the team was a Level 88 Mewtwo, I will not give a crap. I'd much rather hear about your level 54 Sneasel. Those Pokemon fascinate me because they're not advertised by everything. When I get the chance to catch a legendary, I will not take it. I honestly don't care. I'd just continue training my Average Joe Pokemon into Non Average Joes, and that's much more satisfying then catching a Pokemon who is already not an Average Joe. But, I do admit, two Pokemon has made it through my Legendary Hating wall, and that Pokemon is the Mystic Creature of the Water, Suicune, and the Ice bird Articuno. They're great. But every other Legendary--Mewtwo, Mew, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Latias, Latios, Jirachi, Deoxys in all it's forms, Regirock, Registeel, Regice, Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza--I do not want in my party. I simply catch them to complete my PokeDex.

So, I want to know if there are any who think alike. Do you, not necessarily hate, but dislike or think legendary Pokemon are over-rated/cliché?

Last edited:

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
    I like the legendaries (like how they look and such) but I don't normally train them like as my team Pokemon. I agree that legendaries are a bit of a lazy way to get a team, and everyone seems to have them, so what team is unique if every trainer in the world has them? I mean, I have nothing at all against the legendaires. (Suicune is my favorite out of them all. X3) But yes, they are a bit of a cliché. If legendaries are so great, then how come they have like, fifty of them? Diamond and Pearl are coming out with about seven more, so this isn't helping the problem at all.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    I catch legendaries and leave them in my box (they must hate me). I don't dislike them, but using the same legends is not creativity. Investigating about powerful (but fairly powerful) Pokémon you might like in your party is what I like about Pokémon. Using legends is just having someone that'll always take down 2 or 3 Pokémon. BTW, that's why half the people don't like playing against/with Ubers.

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    I rarely use my legendary for link battle. Sometime i do if we agreed using legendary, but then what will be used is mostly legendaries and maybe just 1 or two slots using non-legendaries pokemon. And i think battle without it is better since it will more exciting more chalenging

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
    Yeah, legendaries are used to much. I don't use them but I catch them to complete. Just like everybody else.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2007
    There is no joy in using a pokemon you didn't raise. They are fun to play around wth but by that time i have already groen attached to my team and i don't want some new pokemoin to just jump in.

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
    Years
    Yeah I think Legendaries are a bit overrated too. I don't play the games (coz I don't have any) but I've heard that ppl tend to use Legendaires a lot coz it's easy to win with them. So if I played the pkmn games I wouldn't do that. It's much more fun IMO to raise some ˝average˝ pkmn and besides isn't that what Pkmn is all abouT? So yeah, Legendaries are a cliché. And BTW they're too many of them too.

Years
    I tend to agree with the notion that legendaries are overrated. I don't think the Pokemon themselves are, 'cause theres no question that they're strong, but I think using them is. Every once in awhile I'll pull Zapdos thinking "Well, I could use a strong electric type" and I just always end up going back to my Jolteon. I've got all the legendaries in LG, but I keep them in the box...except Raikou...darn me for using the master ball on Mewtwo.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Nyu, I see that a lot of people can't tell the difference between legendaries and ubers. :\

It's true that some legendaries (Particularly Speed Deoxys, the legendary birds, Regirock and Registeel) get waaay too much credit to their name, it's also true that there's no fun in the full-legendary teams that a lot of idiots use, but something that definitely isn't true is that all legendaries are disbalancingly powerful and unfair. In fact, only a handful of pokémon have been deemed so disbalancingly powerful that they have been given their own metagame. These are Deoxys, Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-oh, Lugia, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon, the Latis, and, drumroll please...Wobbuffet.

That's right, people, one of the disbalancingly powerful isn't even a legendary.

However, the rest of the legendaries (Regis, Legendary birds, Legendary cats, Celebi, and Jirachi) are actually more or less on par with non-legendaries other than Wobbuffet. Heck, a few are even overshadowed by them (Tyranitar, for instance, is a far better pokémon choice than Registeel) so they certainly aren't two to three KOs apiece like someone here claimed. Just think about the typings, Moltres and Articuno both have a double weak against Rock, they also have base speeds of 90 and 85 respectively. Aerodactyl on the other hand is a Rock type (Meaning + 50% base power for all its rock moves) and has a base Speed of 130, coupled with a devastating Attack stat. Now throw in a Choice Band and I think you'll find that neither Articuno or Moltres will be able to stand up to this guy. Similarly, Dugtrio traps and kills the slower Raikou (as long as Dugtrio is Jolly) not to mention Jirachi with a CB Earthquake, and any hard-hitting physical sweeper that gets a bug attack in against Celebi pretty much has the little celery stalk owned. And don't even get me started about the type coverage problems of the 'all legendary birds' teams and what-have-you that crop up. >.<

Really, I'm so sick and tired of people whining about the supposedly uberly strength of legendaries when in reality that only applies to a select group (mentioned above) and even ubers can be taken down if you're good enough. Legends can be KOed like anything else and I certainly have no issues with using them on NB. Ingame I don't bother, though, as they usually have a bad nature (and I can't be bothered to catch them again and again) and terrible IVs to boot. Besides, a lot of legendaries are only good in a competitive environment where they can specialize and where you can obtain the necessary - often hard-to-get - moves they need to shine. That and there are so many pokémon I'd rather train...like Cradily. =D

So in conclusion...do I think´legendaries are overrated? Judging by the masses of clueless N00Bs and anti-legendary whiners out there, heck yes. Do I hate or dislike them? Only a few, these out of personal reasons, but they are pretty hand to tap into as plot elements because of their semi-divine status. I don't always do it, but sometimes...sometimes...

Demonta

Jem Juggler
    Years
    This is a funny post.

The first thing I think when I read is that you're crying out for attention and individuallity. But being serious, that view is hardly shocking or possessed only by you. I sort of agree with what you said but you hardly backed your arguement with any examples. It is just a bunch of opinions that you probably only feel in order to feel happy about yourself.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I like the legendaries (like how they look and such) but I don't normally train them like as my team Pokemon. I agree that legendaries are a bit of a lazy way to get a team, and everyone seems to have them, so what team is unique if every trainer in the world has them? I mean, I have nothing at all against the legendaires. (Suicune is my favorite out of them all. X3) But yes, they are a bit of a cliché. If legendaries are so great, then how come they have like, fifty of them? Diamond and Pearl are coming out with about seven more, so this isn't helping the problem at all.

Suicune is quite cool, and I think it's pretty suckish how Legendaries are so numerous. Aren't they supposed to be rare? Sure, it's their race that's rare, they should call the legendary pokemon On-the-Brink-of-Extinction Pokemon.

I rarely use my legendary for link battle. Sometime i do if we agreed using legendary, but then what will be used is mostly legendaries and maybe just 1 or two slots using non-legendaries pokemon. And i think battle without it is better since it will more exciting more chalenging

It is much more fun and challenging without any Legendaries.

I tend to agree with the notion that legendaries are overrated. I don't think the Pokemon themselves are, 'cause theres no question that they're strong, but I think using them is. Every once in awhile I'll pull Zapdos thinking "Well, I could use a strong electric type" and I just always end up going back to my Jolteon. I've got all the legendaries in LG, but I keep them in the box...except Raikou...darn me for using the master ball on Mewtwo.

You'll always find a Pokemon that can probably match up with your legendary. I mean, Zapdos has a double weakness to rock, while Jolteon only has one. Jolteon and Zapdos probably have relatively the same speed (not going to go check stats) and with the help of TMs, Jolteon can learn better attacks then Zapdos naturally can.

This is a funny post.

The first thing I think when I read is that you're crying out for attention and individuallity. But being serious, that view is hardly shocking or possessed only by you. I sort of agree with what you said but you hardly backed your arguement with any examples. It is just a bunch of opinions that you probably only feel in order to feel happy about yourself.

1. You think whatever you want to think. If that fact that wanting to know if people think ALIKE and AGREE with me is a need for individuality, clearly you need to look up that word in the dictionary.
    2. Let me re-phrase that. It is just a bunch of opinions that you probably only feel in order to feel happy about yourself. to see if people do agree with me and I'm not a loner on my thoughts. Even if I am, they're my thoughts and you can go ahead and call a mod to close this down.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
    FINALLY, some one who gets that. Of course i always do catch the legendaries, but im never fool evough to put it in my party. Thats why, when i want awesome team, i catch pokemon at their lower levels. And if it's not available, i dont trade a level 85 tyranitar to my game to kick butt, i send the level 85 tyranitar to BREED. People need to get it through they're heads that pokemon you raise from lower levels come out stronger then legendaries that you catch at level 70 or somethin. Maybe catching a mew at level thirty when it's whimpy ( i got the mystic ticket :D) and then turning it into a kick butt pokemon, butt seriously, there's no reason to wait till the end of the game right before you face the eighth gym to catch a pokemon thats stronger than all of the rest of your pokemon, in fact, when you face a legendary, your pokemon should be AT LEAST 5 levels over it. And what more, you go into the E4 expecting the legendary to kick butt, but then it goes and gets beat all over the field, i mean honestly. Well, thats enough out of me, waht about you?

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    People need to get it through they're heads that pokemon you raise from lower levels come out stronger then legendaries that you catch at level 70 or somethin.

Unless you train with Pokémon of very high level, POkémon caught in high level can be as powerful as the others if you manage to give him all the EVs before they reach Lv100, when they gain no exp. It's very simple, because to get to that Level you need A LOT of battles.

Still. I support your idea of beginning with low level POkémon because you can a more extended variety of movesets (rather than wasting mushrooms with a move tutor) and you can take advantage of pre-evolution-only moves.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
    well ya, but im just sayin that its easier to train pokemon that you have from lower levels and that you've had from their lowest evo

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
    Yeah, catching Legendaries is always a fun challenge, but using them is a little out of my taste. (Well, except for Suicune, since its part of my team because I love it way too much. XD)

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Pokemon only come out "stronger" if you EV train them. Just leveling up from a low level doesn't make the process any easier.

Legendaries(not ubers) are NOT overrated because you don't like seeing them all the time. They're only overrated if their claimed usefulness is not all its cracked up to be. For pokemon like Suicune and Raikou, these tend to be true 99% of the time. If you really don't like them because they tend to be whored on most other teams, no one is forcing you to use them, and it's not really going to affect you much when your opponent uses them, unless you don't know how to use Meteor Mash against Regice.

As for people who go "I beat the Elite 4 with level 79045 Rayquaza with Explosion!" they don't really matter, because it's not a difficult feat, seeing as about a hundred million other players have done the same thing. The same goes for me. You don't really care that I beat the Elite 4 with a Special Attacking Aggron do you? I hope not.

Also, the game is about "fun." For in-game teams, you shouldn't be inside anyone's ass complaining that they're using legendaries. They can beat wild Tentacools in any manner they want. I can understand your plight for competitive play, but even then, taking on Raikou is simply a matter of a well placed Earthquake from Dugtrio or Snorlax. I mean, for the most part, these things aren't really difficult to counter with Standard OU pokemon.

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    I dislike certain Legendaries, but I don't mind the dogs, the lati's and mew, I won't train any of the others in a team EVER, and the one two i've ever trained to be part of a team are Suicune and Latias. Many of them are over-used and over-powered, and I dislike them in general. The only ones I actually like a lot are Suicune, Latias and Mew.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Unless you train with Pokémon of very high level, POkémon caught in high level can be as powerful as the others if you manage to give him all the EVs before they reach Lv100, when they gain no exp. It's very simple, because to get to that Level you need A LOT of battles.

Still. I support your idea of beginning with low level POkémon because you can a more extended variety of movesets (rather than wasting mushrooms with a move tutor) and you can take advantage of pre-evolution-only moves.

I think Pokémon get more stats for their EV pointa if they are Lv.100. 1 stat for 4 EV points. (To raise the stat of a Lv.100, since it cannot level up, put it in a box)
    see: https://www.psypokes.com/lab/evguide.php

I catch and train legendary Pokémon as any other Pokémon but when in link battle with my friend we usually have no more than 1 legenderay each in our parties. I think people should use their legednaries if they like them as Pokémon, not just becasue they are legendaries. I also think the legendaries are too hard to catch. The Mew glitch in Green version was fun, you could possibly not found out how to do it by yourself, but I would like to have seen the expression of the one who accidently encountered it in his game not knowing it was even there. But Pokémon like Deoxys are too hard to get. Often you need to buy a game like Pokémon Channel (to get Jirachi), but some pkmn are even harder to get (I don't know how to get Celebe in the jp Silver verison) and when someone finally gets, say Deoxys, they have a great advantage when meeting other players in battles. Deoxys and Arseus, I think they have way too high stats!

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
    Well, I think the Legendaries are Over-Rated...Well, I have a Groudon and a Kyogre in my team, but I don't use them so much...In fact, they haven't reached lvl100, but my Swampert, my Ludicolo and my Electrode have reached...Also, my friends say that winning battles with Legendary ones has not much prestige. It has more prestige winning with underused ones.

And, when I'll battle my friends (Because I have a NDS Lite, I can't link with my friends), we won't use the Legendary/Uber ones...

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I like legendaries, but I don't use them. I only raised a Kyogre once, and that was before I went to the Journey across America, I wanted a good team for then and I knew lots of people would be using legendaries there. Usually though, I just use regular pokemon, just because I like them better.

Back