• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lesser Known Anime

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    A lot of people just watch the main stream anime, but does anyone like the Less known anime? (I mean like Menmosyne, The Familiar of Zero, etc.) I do and I quite like them. Whats your opinion on them?

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
    First you need to define what is mainstream anime because not all anime that are popular are mainstream. What I believe mainstream to be is anime that is well-known in most parts of the world that it has merchandise found in major stores besides the typical anime joints. If you can find a Death Note shirt in Walmart, then it's mainstream. I don't remember seeing Haruhi Suzumiya's face on any shirt in any of the stores I've been to, so it's just a popular anime.

But back on subject, I actually tend to watch the under-appreciated anime over the anime that are more popular among the fans. As a matter of fact, I sometimes steer away from an anime because of the fans (although I try not to). But in any case, I try to give all kinds of anime a shot because I want to see what entertains me, what tugs at my heart strings, what makes me laugh, what makes me think, and sometimes, what makes me sit in my chair mindlessly as I watch it.

And I'm still ranting on. For the lesser known anime, I think it's just as good as popular anime if not better. Let's take one of the under-appreciated titles in my top ten favorites: Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro in comparison with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. To me, there's no comparison. I feel that Nougami Neuro is ten times better than Haruhi Suzumiya because I found it more entertaining - I laughed, I cried, I mimicked the kickbutt phrase: "The culprit is . . . you!" at the end of every episode. On the other hand, Kyon's narration is the only thing about the series that I can say made me keep watching. So that's one example.

Then there are just some titles that watchers are better off not knowing about like 11eyes,
    Ragnarok the Animation, etc. And yet, some people think some of these series are the best anime they have ever seen, so it's really up to someone's tastes. You can also argue that these people have not seen enough anime to make that statement, but I'd rather have someone say that "this is the best I've seen" rather than "this is the best anime in existence" because unless you've seen every anime ever created (and there's quite a bit, I tell you), your statement is null.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Then there are just some titles that watchers are better off not knowing about like 11eyes
    Yeah, 11eyes was terrible.

But I think most of the anime that I watch is pretty far from mainstream. I dunno how many people actually watch them, but they usually last 12-24 eps, and never make it to adult swim lol. So, I think I would consider them to not be mainstream.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    If it appeals to me, I like it. Sora no Woto wasn't very popular, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Conversely, the Suzumiya Haruhi series is immensely popular both in Japan and the US, but I still enjoy it. Popularity really isn't a factor for me.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    What do I think? I think that they're lesser known for a reason. Get popular enough to get noticed by companies that dub other animé and I'll see if I like it or not. If it's some unknown show that doesn't get popular then I'll probably never watch it so these shows are practically meaningless to me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Much of what I watch falls into the "lesser known" category. I am willing to watch anything as long as it holds my interest, but since I don't think high school romance anime is going to make it big over here most of my favorites are relatively unknown.

Years
    A lot of people just watch the main stream anime, but does anyone like the Less known anime? (I mean like Menmosyne, The Familiar of Zero, etc.) I do and I quite like them. Whats your opinion on them?

I think the Familiar of Zero is more well known than you think amongst anime fans... but not truly mainstream.

Looking at my watch list, I've watched a lot of "mainstream" anime, but I've also watched a few series that aren't so mainstream. I have no preference, really. I try series that people recommend to me, or that appear to be appealing.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Paranoia Agent
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Yotsuba& (Well, it's only well-known if you travel in certain circles)
    Sakura Taisen
    Read or Die/R.O.D.
    and, if it counts, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
    I guess I watch "mainstream anime", I don't know. I haven't really watched any unknown series. The most unknown series I've watched is Urusei Yatsura, so yeah. I agree with Vernikova, if it's unknown, it's unknown for a reason.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    What do I think? I think that they're lesser known for a reason. Get popular enough to get noticed by companies that dub other animé and I'll see if I like it or not. If it's some unknown show that doesn't get popular then I'll probably never watch it so these shows are practically meaningless to me.

So you're saying Onegai My Melody wasn't a good anime? Seriously? It only lasted for FOUR SEASONS!

You must not watch much Anime if you think that, because there are a ton of shows out there that don't get dubbed. And I hate to say it, but you are depriving yourself of some great Animes.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I guess I watch "mainstream anime", I don't know. I haven't really watched any unknown series. The most unknown series I've watched is Urusei Yatsura, so yeah. I agree with Vernikova, if it's unknown, it's unknown for a reason.
    That's an absurd stance to take and you're missing out on some really great series. Are you going to say that the Twilight series is better than the collected works of William Shakespeare because it sells better? I don't think so.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    That's an absurd stance to take and you're missing out on some really great series. Are you going to say that the Twilight series is better than the collected works of William Shakespeare because it sells better? I don't think so.

I have to agree with this assertion. Just because some series are more marketable, and marketable to a larger demographic, doesn't mean that they are any better than other series.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Aye. I agree with the above statements. Just because they're not as known, doesn't mean that they aren't good, and vice versa. Animes that are mainstream, like Naruto and Bleach, have a ton of fans, but they have just as many people who aren't fans of it as well. The same goes for the lesser known animes, just to a lesser agree. Some of it have something with the first episode being horrible, but it getting better along the way /coughpowerpuffgirlszcough. People tend to watch the first episode of something, but don't progress with it because the first episode is horrible. I think with any anime, mainstream or not, they should watch more than one episode before determining weather it's good or bad.

As for myself, I watch a variety. Some of the animes that I've watched are definitely lesser known, while others are quite out there and in every store you walk into.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    SBaby said:
    So you're saying Onegai My Melody wasn't a good anime? Seriously? It only lasted for FOUR SEASONS!

You must not watch much Anime if you think that, because there are a ton of shows out there that don't get dubbed. And I hate to say it, but you are depriving yourself of some great Animes.

twocows said:

Yuoaman said:
    I have to agree with this assertion. Just because some series are more marketable, and marketable to a larger demographic, doesn't mean that they are any better than other series.

I don't care if they're good. If they're not dubbed in my native language then I'm not going to give them a chance.

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
    I'm pretty sure if it's unknown, IT IS unknown for a reason. Whatever that reason, however good it is, it's obviously missing something that mainstream animes have. I didn't mean to sound like I thought one or the other was better, I meant I don't pick out what I watch by "unknown or popular". It's like people who listen to crappy indie bands because they're crappy and indie.

Also it's weird to compare Twilight and William Shakespeare. Both overrated, Twilight is liked by millions of teenage girls, Shakespeare is liked by millions of teenage girls trying to be cool/scene/different.

In short, I watch anime because I like that anime, not because of the "label".

Years
    Inb4 sub v dub or some other derailing debate.

I just went through some of chartfag's old posts to see what was "lesser known" those seasons. Most of what I noticed thought was "lesser known" were Shoujo stories, all-girl high schools, actiony shounen stuff, and anime directed at younger children. None of them are probably "bad" per se, since it would probably be infamous due to "OMG THIS SHOW SUXXORZ DON'T WATCH IT" bile fascination, but it probably wouldn't be really good either since no one is raving about how amazing they are.
    My view on these "lesser known anime" is that they are too average anime. They likely don't break any molds or have anything really new to offer.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I... kinda have to agree.

I find that a lot of the lesser known series seem to take longer to watch (Because they're not as interesting), and don't hold my attention as much.

Examples: R.O.D. (Dropped), Sakura Taisen (On hiatus)

However, the "mainstream" or at least popular stuff is typically easier to follow, like Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell, Haruhi, etc.

Now all I gotta do is wait to be called an idiot, and "part of the LCD."

And yes, I am. Anime is an escape.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I find that a lot of the lesser known series seem to take longer to watch (Because they're not as interesting), and don't hold my attention as much.

I always found them longer is because they normally have a tighter budget so they fit a lot more stuff into one episode, so one episode in a lesser known anime usually has the equivalent amount of content as five Naruto Shippuden episodes.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I don't think I follow you...

I'm not talking about anime that is unpopular or unloved, I just mean the stuff that's lesser known in the main anime community, like Lain, or something.

Basically, the well known stuff is typically good for people with short attention spans.

Back