• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lethal Injection

Years
  • Just an aside, but Dr. Kevorkian died today. I know that's a different topic, but he used a "mercy machine," which was essentially a lethal injection.

I don't think it was as bad as you make it out to be. For one, because of how harsh the law was people behaved MUCH better, so if someone were accused of something bad like that, chances are they deserved it. People were much more respectful to each other back then so unless you did do something truly awful it's doubtful you'd be accused of something like that.

I am better than a murderer/rapist/child molestor because I would never do such a thing and such people can't be "rehabilitated" not to mention it's a waste of money keeping them alive. Better to put them down like the rabid animal they are.
    I'm sure you've heard of lynch mobs. Bad things can happen easily when all you have to do is accuse someone of something for them to be punished.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I don't think it was as bad as you make it out to be. For one, because of how harsh the law was people behaved MUCH better, so if someone were accused of something bad like that, chances are they deserved it. People were much more respectful to each other back then so unless you did do something truly awful it's doubtful you'd be accused of something like that.

I am better than a murderer/rapist/child molestor because I would never do such a thing and such people can't be "rehabilitated" not to mention it's a waste of money keeping them alive. Better to put them down like the rabid animal they are.

If you kill someone, you pretty much nullify the chance of the guy being proven innocent later on the road, as it has happened waaay too many times to count already. Someone said, "I'd rather leave a criminal get out scot-free that punish an innocent person", and I stand by that. Jail can be revoked, death can't.

And I digress with the "those can't be rehabilitated" statement- have you ever tried looking at statistics or are you just saying that as a mantra? According to 1996 data (sorry, I haven't managed to find more up-to-date info- I don't think it has changed much in 15 years though), over 55% of the people who got out of prison didn't commit any crime after that, and the percentages for rapists are similar. So, sadly, rehabilitation DOES work.

About the cost- well, a death penalty sentence is usually more expensive for the State than a life imprisonment sentence, mainly because the culprit is given several chances to appeal, as it should be in a democratic country, delaying the process to insane lenghts. http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

And lastly:
    Better to put them down like the rabid animal they are.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.

So, commiting a murder does not make someone "an animal". They are human, like you, and they might even be innocent after all. We have had really bad experiences with people who though they had the right to decide who was an human and who was an easily killable " animal".

Years
  • I don't care what the data says, I don't believe it. People that do stuff like that have severe mental issues that can't be "fixed". Nor do I care what the UDoHR says, to me, anyone who does such a thing is no better than an animal and should be treated as such. Only when there are VERY strict and severe punishments do people behave better.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I don't care what the data says, I don't believe it. People that do stuff like that have severe mental issues that can't be "fixed".

Well, it's you VS a scientific survey from the College of Criminal Justice (CCJ) of Sam Houston State University in Texas. If I had to choose who I'd trust the most... yeah.

Nor do I care what the UDoHR says, to me, anyone who does such a thing is no better than an animal and should be treated as such.

The UDoHR and that statement were created to prevent anybody from deciding who's an human and who's a easy torturable and killable animal- a lot of people considered themselves fit to decide that back in the 1930's, and I'd rather not see it again.

Only when there are VERY strict and severe punishments do people behave better.

Surprisingly, the US have a higher homicide rate than the EU. Now try to guess which one doesn't have Death Penalty (nor Life Imprisonment, in some cases, either). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Years
  • The best way to teach people that it's morally wrong to kill people is to kill people in retaliation for an action of theirs.

It makes you no better than they were. You killed a killer. So, that makes you a killer all the same. You won't make a great advance on the war on crime with that mentality.

Back