• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's see, you're the Normal type gym leader, so I'll use my fighting types.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Sometimes, you have those challenges where you have Pokemon, lots of them in your boxes, which you'd love to use, but you only use them for certain occasions. Like, catching a Timburr specifically for Lenora, and then just ditching it back into the box, or catching a wild Zebstrika just to handle Skyla.

Do you train certain Pokemon for certain battles?

I don't and I think it's a waste of time. I think it's nice to have a variety of Pokemon for your battles, but why go all out and train a new team all the time, just for one battle? So if you were to battle Clay, would you just go out and catch a random Grass/Water/Ice Pokemon, just to use them in that gym battle so you have the upper advantage? I think it destroys the challenge of the game, just to go out and train a new team everytime to have the advantage. Most of the time, your standard team can handle the person you're meant to battle next anyway, so I just don't see the point in going all out just for one petty battle.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I never do this. My goal is to raise a team diverse enough that it can take on all the Gym Leaders and Elite Four as a team, not with random, one-battle-only Pokemon thrown in there for more type advantages.

For the Elite Four in this game, my Pokemon were so tailored to every other battle in the game that I didn't have the types that were strong against them for the most part. I taught my Seismitoad a Dark move specifically to take on two of them, and when that Pokemon went down, I relied on secondary weaknesses or just didn't bother with weaknesses at all and hit it with everything I had. Now that I'm training up for the second Elite Four run, I'm using the exact same team.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    It really depends. If I'm having an extremely difficult time with the team I currently have, then I try to go out in the wild and find a Pokemon that can give me the upper hand.

Generally though, I give my Pokemon some variety in moves so that they can overcome their weaknesses and with that in mind, it's usually enough to turn the tables around in a battle for me and not need a new addition to my team.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Can't see myself doing this :/

The point of the game is to raise Pokemon, not capture random ones to win your Gym battles. I always train a team that's capable of handling whatever types are thrown at it.

Shadow236

Razor Shell!!
    Years
    I only do it sometimes. If I'm at a horrible disadvantage I might train one pokemon. But for the most part I think that pokemon can do some pretty amazing things, type advantage or not. In the anime Ash has a point when he uses a type that's weak against it's foe. They're just trying to show that there are more possibilities.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    I catch random pokemon if they have the type advantage only if my normal team just can't catch a break. I get it that not many people like it, but sometimes you just need a little help, and no one should be judged for that. Now, I did this only once for Lenora, but it turned out that the Sawk I caught sucked and my Dewott stole the show and defeated that evil evil watchog. So yeah, I've had moments where my original team decides to prove me wrong at the last minute, haha.

But I generally plan my teams before I play.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2011
    I catched and used the pokemons I liked and thought covered my typ weaknesses. I ended up with lilipup with dig for the electric gym, galvantula for the flying gym and so on. I didn't ever have to train on wild pokemons to have the type advantage in gyms. But this also meant that I ended up with a team of only 4 pokemons with bad synergy, which did hurt in the elite 4.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i think its a waste of time. i train the team i want and try to get a pokemon to cover each weakness, a balanced team. tho in this gen i seem to be training dragons more than anything. :3

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
    Nope. Never done this never will. I give myself a challenge with my team. It's more fun that way.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    No, I never do this. I always raise a balanced team that has enough diversity in it that I don't have to. Type advantage isn't everything either. And I would have to raise the Pokemon I caught for the specific battle because being a wild Pokemon, it would be to weak to face someone like a gym leader. Why would I do that when all those experience points could be going to a Pokemon that I am going to use through the whole game?

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    Well I guess guess you could say I did it once. But my team wasn't done yet, I caught a sawk and liked him but I eventually gave him up. But I was planning on keeping him but I had so many Pokemon that could use fighting type moves that could cover my normal weakness.

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
    This is the first time I didn't do that. In all the past games I would train some kind of Ice pokemon for the Dragon gym. But in Pokemon White, my Eelektross beat the dragon gym single-handedly.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I haven't finished White yet, but so far, I've found myself training almost everything I've caught rather than using a set team. For certain gyms (like the second one, for example), I did train a bunch of Pokemon that had an advantage over that gym leader's type (e.g., fighting types for the normal gym), but that was mainly because those were the Pokemon that I had just caught and wanted to train up a bit. I don't know when I'll actually develop a full team on White, as it just seems so easy to train everything I catch in this game (thanks to the new exp. system).

In other games, though, I haven't generally trained a new team to challenge the gym. I usually just use whatever I have with me (a balanced team, etc.) and get through the game with few problems.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yeah, I tend to do this more times than often, but I'll sometimes use Pokémon that I'm training but that aren't weak to that specific Gym Leader type user.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    Nope, never have I done this even once. If my team has a type disadvantage, I'll muscle through it. If the opposing Pokemon is stronger, I'll burn it or paralyze it. Diversity is crucial in my team.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I carried around Pansage until I ran into some good help for Tepig. I used him against Cheren and Cress.

So yes, I've done this before.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    I like to go with the traditional and ignorant way of one set of pokemon in my party, dominate with it. No need to waste time to capture a specific pokemon and train it to whatever level.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This can apply to all games and not just B/W. Judging from the responses people are applying their posts to all generations. As a result, Syd gets another thread! :D

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I've only done this once in my Black Poison/Bug duotype challenge. I couldn't catch a bug in Pinwheel until after I beat the gym, so I just caught an army of Sawk's to destroy Lenora with :D

Back