• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Let's zoooooooooooooom in!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    In the games you'll notice that in certain places, depending on where you stand, the camera angle changes - or even when you walk into some buildings. A while back, when we first discovered the camera angle was altered in Castelia along with other places, many of us speculated that it would mean we could control the camera angles ourselves, and yet sadly we cannot. The most control we get is by standing on the side of Castelia and the camera angle changing if we move closer to the inside of it. There's other examples, but that comes to mind at the moment.

So! Do you prefer having little control over the camera angles or would have you preferred to control it yourself (by allowing you to zoom in and change angle of certain places)? Or do you maybe think that full control over the camera angles won't be possible in future Pokemon games just because it's Pokemon?

Finally, if you could control the camera angles of somewhere in Unova - either changing the direction of the camera, or zooming in / out really far, where would you choose to do this in? Royal Unova maybe? Or even a route? Share~

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I loved the way the camera was utilized in Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City. In-battle, I didn't mind the way the camera was used for the vast majority of attacks and liked how it moved around when you're doing nothing.

I'd choose to use the new camera angles in Nimbasa City.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i love the camera angles especially on skyarrow bridge. i dont really care either way that we cant control the camera ourselves. plus i would probably annoy myself with it.
    if i could change the camera angles it would be on skyarrow bridge just so i could look at everything there

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
    I don't like them... The bridges you have to run along where it pans out and zooms around and what not just feel like "Oh hey we put this in, LOOK AT IT.", I'd rather just get through the bridge to Castelia city in a few seconds over the minute it takes to run there because they wanted it to look interesting...

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I don't like them... The bridges you have to run along where it pans out and zooms around and what not just feel like "Oh hey we put this in, LOOK AT IT.", I'd rather just get through the bridge to Castelia city in a few seconds over the minute it takes to run there because they wanted it to look interesting...

This. When I played through on a Rom the first time, I thought that GameFreak was just throwing it in because they could. I thought it was distracting, obnoxious, and all-around pointless.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    It would definitely have been interested to control the camera angle, but not necessary. I think they did a good job with it. It shows up just enough during gameplay, just enough that it doesn't bother the living hell out of you. I look forward to see what they do in the future with camera angles like this.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I love it but I find some annoying. Like it's too far or too close. Castelia City, I want to walk and see the length of the skyscrappers, but the lampposts along the way say otherwise, so I have to divert my path slightly, and the camera zooms in, and I don't see the long view again D:... for a while.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
    This. When I played through on a Rom the first time, I thought that GameFreak was just throwing it in because they could. I thought it was distracting, obnoxious, and all-around pointless.

When you go through bridges and citys it does distract you when your moving.
    But it is really good that they did that for the new games when the camera zooms in or out.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
    Depending on how they let you control the angle of the camera, i would have very much preferred that. Maybe if you slide the touch screen around you can change the camera angle of the top screen similar to Metroid Prime Hunters...

But overall the camera movement was one of the things that didn't bother me. It only happened in that one city and on the bridges, as long as they keep it limited like that and don't do it everywhere, it's fine by me. Haha, egg hatching on the Skyarrow bridge is another thing though...

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    Personally, I liked the camera angles in Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City.
    They were very interesting and over-the-top, making for a very fun journey. I do wish you had at least a little more control over the camera angles, but I like them anyway.

I can't wait to see what GF has in store for Grey and 6th Gen's camera angles. Considering they're both probably going to be on the 3DS, they could do some crazy stuff with it.

I would probably make more camera angles through Nimbasa City.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I wish we had control over the camera angles, particularly on Skyarrow Bridge. It would have been nice to have some control options, but also an "auto" mode for those who didn't want to have to control the camera/wanted it to reset to its "natural" position. If not that, then it would have been nice if the camera angles didn't always zoom in the exact same way every time the player stepped onto a particular tile. I was riding along Skyarrow Bridge when hatching some eggs yesterday, and the camera angles that constantly changed in a repetitive pattern began to give me a headache after a while.

Logan_AT

Often Lost in Thought
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    It would be nice to have the option to turn it off once and a while. It's really neat and it's clear the game developers wanted to show off their m4d sk1llz + t3h awesomeness of Skyarrow Bridge with all the zoom ins and outs--the first, second, and maybe sixth time. After that, especially if you intend to stay there a long time, it becomes tiring on the eyes. Overall I think it's neat seeing the camera adapt to the terrain, but that coupled with 3D effects I can anticipate isn't going to sit too well with players who have motion sickness issues (like me XP ).

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Do you prefer having little control over the camera angles or would have you preferred to control it yourself (by allowing you to zoom in and change angle of certain places)?
    For me, I'd say it depends. I don't really mind the fact that we don't have the ability to control the angles of the camera, since you never know how difficult it may have been to control it ourselves anyway. It could be pretty cool to move the camera angles manually though, but it's not something I really mind or consider a con.

Or do you maybe think that full control over the camera angles won't be possible in future Pokemon games just because it's Pokemon?
    I don't think this is the case. Like I've stated, it may be difficult to control the angles manually. Unless GameFreak can come with a simple way for a possible third game with controlling angles, just because Pokémon is Pokémon is probably not something I would say why this can't happen.

Finally, if you could control the camera angles of somewhere in Unova - either changing the direction of the camera, or zooming in / out really far, where would you choose to do this in? Royal Unova maybe? Or even a route?

I think it would be pretty cool to control the camera angles within routes.

Years
    If you ask me, they used way too much zooming in and out. I mean, it's nice to see how you can zoom in and out and see your buildings and other tiles, but honestly. >.>

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The only reason I'd like to have control of the camera in a Pokémon game is to lock it in place so you wouldn't have the annoying angle jumps like there were in and around Castelia. That sort of thing really bothered me and I found it too disorienting. :(

It might also be fun to spin the camera instead of just moving it up and down or controlling the zoom, but they'd have to animate a lot more of the maps and all so I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

AngelXavier

The Blue Dawg
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    I remember when my Sister and I both booted up Black and White. I exclaimed "Whoa look! You're not always in the middle of the screen anymore!" when you start walking around in the bedroom after your rival battles. My sister told me right after "No, you still are, just in the room you aren't because it fits the whole screen." because she had already left the house.

I do wish you had a little more control, or some more scenes like the bedroom when you can move around and not be in the center of the screen. The game makes me remember something I saw on TV which was a guy running on a treadmill with a scenery back round spinning behind him, which made it look like he was actually running a long distance.

tl.dr; To an extent, yes. But I am happy with the improved 3D graphics.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I really like the angles. They are really awesome and add such a cool effect.

The angles on Skyarrow Bridge were amazing but they made me motion sick... @__@

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2022
    i like the camera angles, but it doesnt bring any extra for me.
    its just cool the see the camera angles change once in a while ^^

Years
    I felt that in places they went a little over the top with the amount of different angles that they used; it felt like they were just trying to show off and cram as many into it as possible. It was obviously one of the bridges, can't remember which one though! XD

I think being able to control the camera would be a bit weird and a little pointless, if we could control it. Though, I could see them putting in perspective puzzles, making us have to look outside the box, so it could add a different element of puzzles into it, but only if done well; only using L & R to control the camera, otherwise, it will get annoying. If it is done on the 3DS for example, using the analog stick for the camera and the D-pad for player movement, that would get annoying.​

Back