• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Life with Kira

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
Episode 17: Kira's Race

"Good morning, all..." Kimi smiled as she brought the Pokemon breakfast. "How would you all like to participate in this year's Pokelympics?"

<What's that?> Kira was interested.

<Every four years, Master Ash calls all the Pokemon of the world to come to Indigo Plateau and participate in all kinds of games.> Brenna explained. <There's battles, races, agility, and my favorite, swimming...>

<I don't know...do you think I run fast?> Kira asked, unsure.

"There's only one way to find out..." Kimi smiled as she glanced out the window.

<Time Kira to see how fast she runs?> Starshine asked.

"Exactly!" Kimi cried. "According to the rules, Pichus and other baby Pokemon can compete in the 100 yard races, including the dash."

<What's a race?> Kira was interested.

<Well, a race is competition to see who can get to a certain point the fastest.> Lita explained.

<Or do something the fastest, or do something the most times.> Brenna added.

<Usually the point you need to get to is a line.> Starshine continued. <So 100 yards is about the length of the yard from one end to the other.>

Kira shuddered. <I don't think I can run that far...>

In the yard...

"Okay, Kira..." Kimi explained as she set Kira in the grass on one end of the yard. "When Brenna says go, run to the other end of the yard as fast as you can."

<Okay!> Kira replied, albiet a little afraid. From her location, 100 yards looked like a long way off.

<Is she ready?> Brenna asked from atop a box.

"She's ready!" Kimi assured the Squirtle as she fumbled for the stopwatch on her Poketch.

<On your mark...get set...go!> With that, Kira raced to the end as fast as she could, never mind the tree roots, bugs, and other things in the way. She finally arrived at the other end of the yard a few minutes later, panting in the process.

<Well?> Lita was interested in Kira's time.

Kimi studied the stopwatch or a moment. "It's not good, but it's not bad, either. But let's let her rest before we try again."

<I have to run again?> Kira wheezed.

<Not right away, you don't.> Starshine assured Kira. <If you do well in the competition, you may win something good!>

<There's prizes?> Kira was excited now.

<The top three in each event get a medal for their efforts.> Lita explained. <I've won a lot of them for battling....>

This was enough to give Kira more resolve. <I am going to use this week to train so maybe I can get a medal for running!>

<You think she can do it with a million people watching live and on TV?> Lita asked Starshine as Kimi carried Kira back to the left end of the yard.

<I think she can!> Starshine smiled. <I mean, if she can act in a play, how much harder is running a race?>

<You have to remember that a race is a lot different from a performance.> Brenna cautioned. She let that hang as Kira sped through the grass again...

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 18: Kira and the Sing-Along

<Running across the yard is hard work....> Kira wheezed as the group came inside the house the next morning. With the Pokelympics a week away, she wanted to be in the best shape she could be in. But after running 12 laps, her tiny Pichu feet throbbed with pain.

<Let's go watch TV.> Starshine suggested as Kimi closed the door behind her, then entered the kitchen to make lunch. With that, she led the other Pokemon into the living room and flicked on the TV, where "Kanto Today" was on.

<What's this show about?> Kira was interested.

<"Kanto Today" talks about all that's going on in the region today.> Brenna explained. <This means news, weather, and fun things too.>

<What kind of fun things?> Kira was interested.

<Well...sometimes a chef will be on, where he'll teach the audience how to make a certain food.> Brenna explained. <Other times, one of the Gym Leaders will be on to do something fun. You never know what to expect.>

<I like it when Brock is on!> Starshine smiled. <He usually plays his guitar and sings a song!>

<Like what kind of song?> Kira mused as she watched the announcer talk about the latest results from the Contest Hall.

<It's usually a very easy song.> Brenna explained. <First, he'll tell the story behind it--like who wrote it, interesting information about the time it was written, why it was written, things like that.>

<Then, he'll sing and play it through once on his own.> Starshine continued. <The second time, he'll play, but you sing along with the words on the screen.>

<Sounds fun!> Kira smiled as the TV announced "And now, it's time for 'Songs of a Leader' with Brock Harrison". A spotlight shone down on an older boy with tan skin that was seated on a couch in the center of a bedroom, tuning an acoustic guitar.

"Good morning!" Brock smiled from the TV as he finished tuning. "With the Pokelympics coming up in a week, today I want to teach you a song that talks about a competition of a different kind--a hero posing a riddle to his beloved to prove she loves him..."

<Oh brother, not another love song...> Lita groaned. Brock had been on a love song kick lately, it seemed.

Kira, meanwhile, just listened as Brock continued talking. "Like most ballads from the Pewter area, riddles play a prominent role in the story, but one surprising aspect is this: the Clefairy line is nowhere to be found in this particular ballad, which is unusual considering that most ballads from this area feature a Clefairy or its evolutions somewhere in the story."

<Interesting...> Kira smiled.

<I'm ready to sing, already!> Starshine agreed, annoyed by Brock droning on about the song's history

<At least Kira finds it interesting...> Brenna assured Starshine.

Starshine snapped to attention as Brock interjected "The most common version of this ballad goes something like this..." With that, he began a brisk melody and sang:

There was a young lad, brave and bold,
One morning while he did ride,
He came upon a flowery field
And a lady there he spied...

Lita instantly recognized the song. <I know that song! That's "Riddles of the Field"!>

<No wonder it sounds familiar...> Starshine agreed.

"How is everything in here?" Kimi asked as she entered the room

<A rerun of Brock's song corner...> Starshine sighed.

Kira, meanwhile, decided to belt out the tune before Kimi while the TV played in the background:

There was a young lad, brave and bold,
One morning while he did ride,
He came upon a flowery field
And a lady there he spied...

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 19: Kira's Bath

Brenna peered inside the bathroom as Kimi set a washtub inside one of the sinks. The Pokelympics was now only four days away, and Kira would also have to look her best on top of running as best as she could. Problem was, Kira hadn't been bathed in a few days, and she certainly had not been bathed with a showerhead like the other Pokemon were accustomed to.

<You think Kimi's going to use the showerhead on Kira?> Lita asked as she joined Brenna by the bathroom doorway.

<I'm not sure...much less what Kira's reaction will be.> Brenna replied as Kira was brought inside the bathroom. Then, Kimi switched on the sink and let the washtub fill for a moment before shutting off the sink.

Kira watched as the washtub was set before her. I hope it's not too hot... She tensely dipped a paw in the water--and jumped in with a splish.

"Excited, aren't we?" Kimi laughed as she began lathering Kira's fur.

<You got it just right!> Kira smiled, only pausing to close her eyes so soap wouldn't get in them.

<Kira getting a bath?> Starshine asked as she passed by the bathroom.

<Yeah--we're about to see how she'll react to the showerhead...> Lita explained as Kimi reached for the showerhead and let it spray into the tub for a moment.

Kira shuddered at the seemingly never ending stream of water falling inside the tub. <I'll drown in that much water!> she complained.

"No you won't." Kimi started, but her assuring smile turned to a panicked look as Kira bolted from the tub, leaving a trail of soapy pawprints behind her. Kimi switched off the showerhead and begin following the suds. "Lita, Brenna, Starshine, help me find Kira!"

<I don't blame her for running from the showerhead.> Starshine began as she led the way down the hall and into the kitchen, where soapsuds dotted the blue and white tile. <Remember when you guys first got washed with it?>

<You ran too, if memory serves me right.> Brenna replied as she checked a cabinet for any sign of Kira.

<Well, fire types are naturally scared of water!> Starshine protested.

<Oh come on, a bath won't make you faint!> Brenna laughed. <It takes a lot more water under a lot more pressure to do that! As in a Water Gun attack that is equal to a fire hose.>

<If you say so...> Starshine sighed. Syuddenly, she saw the trail of soapsuds lead behind some pots and pans. <Found you!>.

But Kira bolted from the cabinet, sending Starshine flying into a skillet as she raced for the door leading to the yard. Kimi was not far behind. "Kira, don't go out in the yard! I just mowed it!"

<Too late...> Brenna sighed as she heard the pitter pit of Pichu feet in the grass.

Kimi sighed. "Well, we'll have to lure her back with something, since I'm in no mood to chase her all over the neighborhood."

Lita giggled at the thought of Kimi chasing Kira through the yard, then through the neighbors' yards, then through Professor Oak's Lab--especially if the crews as KNTO were filming an episode of "Oak's Pokemon Talk" there.

<Dreaming up a wild Linoone chase again?> Starshine asked, piqued by Lita's giggling.

<This should lure her out...> Brenna smiled as she set a Pecha Berry on the stoop leading out into the yard.

Sure enough, Kira tensely approached the bait and nibbled on it, oblivious that Kimi was washing off the soapsuds and grass with the garden hose's weakest setting. Once Kira had been thoroughly rinsed clean, Kimi took her back inside.

"The showerhead won't hurt, okay?" Kimi assured Kira as she dried her off. "It's only water!"

<I know, but it was a lot of water!> Kira protested.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'll just use another rag next time." Kimi assured the shivering Pichu as she wrapped a towel around her.

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 20: Kira's Nightmare

"There we go...all dry!" Kimi smiled as she finished drying Kira off on the stoop. "Let's go back inside." With that, she led the Pokemon back inside the house. "I have some chores to do, so you guys play quietly, okay?" With that, Kimi disappeared into the study, where some blank papers were waiting on the desk.

<Okay...what would you guys like to do?> Starshine asked.

<Play cards?> Lita offered.

<I'm tired of that.> Brenna sighed. <Besides, we'd be leaving Kira out, too...>

<Watch a movie?> Lita suggested again.

<YEAH!!!> the other Pokemon agreed.

<One condition....> Brenna cautioned. <Try not to pick a movie that's too scary--we don't want to frighten Kira.>

<I'm not scared!> Kira bragged as Lita led the way into the living room, where she could see the DVD cabinet and the bewildering array of colors and characters on their covers.

<Let's see here...> Starshine carefully eased open the DVD cabinet and climbed on the first shelf. <"Ariados-Man"?>

<Too scary.> Brenna cautioned.

<No wonder, it's on the wrong shelf.> Starshine giggled as she eased the DVD back on its place in the second shelf before returning to the G rated material on the first shelf. <'The Entei King' would be too scary...>

<Why?> Kira was curious.

<Well...> Brenna thought about how to explain the pivotal part of the movie without scaring Kira. <There's a lot of fighting, and an important character dies.>

<That's awful!> Kira was shocked at this.

<However, this character dying spurs the main character to become who he was destined to be.> Lita explained. <Sometimes a scary thing like dying's important to the story.>

<Kinda like how Ash says that we should view defeat as a way to get stronger?> Kira asked.

<Something like that.> Lita replied before calling up to Starshine. <Any luck with a movie yet?>

<Let's watch 'Sleeping Beauty'> Starshine suggested, holding up the DVD for the others to see.

<Okay!> Kira smiled as Starshine opened the DVD player and carefully placed the disc inside.

<I'll make some popcorn!> Lita volunteered. With that, she raced into the kitchen.

<What's popcorn?> Kira asked.

<Popcorn is a special kind of corn that pops open when it gets hot, hence the name.> Brenna explained. <It's the traditional movie theater treat.>

<The TV in here's nothing like a movie theater...> Starshine sighed as the DVD's menu screen appeared. <The TVs in there are so big, they need a whole wall to fit!>

<Wow!> Kira was impressed as Lita returned with popcorn. Once sure everyone was comfortable, Starshine hit PLAY on the remote and retreated to her bowl of popcorn.

For a while, Kira was impressed by the dazzling array of costumes the lords and ladies wore and the beautiful castle. She watched with wonder as the three fairies appeared, and the fire fairy and earth fairy offered their blessings for the newborn princess. She was about to take a bite of her popcorn when a thunderbolt streaked across the screen to herald the dark fairy's arrival. She whined as the dark fairy trumphantly cackled over any efforts to protect the little princess.

<Turn it off, quickly!> Brenna gasped. Starshine fumbled for the remote and hit STOP seconds before the dark fairy could curse the princess, making the image of the dragon winged fairy disappear from the screen.

"Is everything okay in here?> Kimi peeked in the room, concerned.

<We tried to watch 'Sleeping Beauty' with Kira, and the dark fairy scared her.> Starshine explained as she ejected the DVD.

Kimi knelt down to Kira's eye level. "Hey..."

<Don't hurt me!> Kira begged, still shuddering in fear.

"It's just me--the scary fairy's not real." Kimi explained as she gently stroked Kira. "But I'll leave the nightlight on tonight, just in case."

<And if you do have a nightmare, dream up a hero to save you from the dark fairy!> Lita suggested. Kira weakly giggled in embarrassment as the other Pokemon laughed.

To Be Continued....

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 21: Kira's Movie

Kira yawned as she glumly stared outside at the pouring rain. <I really wanted to run today...>

<Hate to break it to you, but the weather forecast says it's going to rain all day today.> Lita began, referring to the weather printed in the newspaper. Kira sighed--with the Pokelympics now two days away, she really wanted to run--then she would know if she was able to compete among some of the best runners in the world.

"Smile, sleepyhead." came Kimi's voice. Kira looked to see where Kimi was, only to find herself looking into the lens of the video camera. She watched, bemused, as Kimi giggled, setting down the video camera long enough to invite Kira in her arms.

<What's that?> Kira was interested in the gray, black, and red box lying on the desk.

"That's my video camera." Kimi explained as she carried Kira downstairs. "I use it to make my own movies."

<Like those?> Kira asked, gesturing to the DVD cabinet.

"Something like it--I mainly use it for fun, but sometimes, there will be a contest on TV where the best video wins a prize." Kimi explained as she switched on the TV and flipped through the channels, only stopping on the scene of a young man with deep brown hair. "Especially this show." she gestured to the TV screen, which now displayed "Kanto's Funniest Home Videos" on it.

<Interesting show...> Kira mused as a commercial for Pokechow came on.

"If you win on that show, you win a lot of money and a chance for an even bigger amount." Kimi continued as she reached inside a bag. "But, since my camera is too big for you to use..." She paused to give a small video camera to Kira. "I went and got one that's your size."

<Wow! Thank you!> Kira gave her master a hug and raced back upstairs--she was going to film some humorous footage of her friends, and if Kimi said okay, send it to "Kanto's Funniest Home Videos".

A few minutes later..

<Hey, Lita?> Kira yelled while filming Lita snoozing by the window.

<Hm?> Lita groggily opened an eye and groaned when she saw the camera lens aimed at her. <I'm not in the mood to make a movie right now, okay?>

<Okay...> Kira trudged off down the hall, where Brenna was thumbing through a storybook.

Brenna noticed Kira's camera. <Where'd you get the camera?>

<Kimi gave it to me as a present.> Kira explained. <Will you do something funny so I can film it, please?>

Brenna just sweatdropped at the request. <I appriciate your asking, but I get stage fright before the video camera.>

<Aww...> Kira just trudged into the rec room, where Starshine was building a castle with some blocks. She thought about letting Starshine know of her presence, but Starshine seemed occupied with building. After prepping her camera, she started to film as Starshine continued to build.

At first, Starshine had no clue she was being filmed at first. But suddenly, the tower she was building began to tip, seconds before she was to put the last few blocks on it. Her efforts to steady the shaky tower proved fruitless as it crashed to the floor.

Kira's giggling finally got her attention. <What?>

<You should've seen the look on your face!> Kira laughed, motioning for Starshine to look at the video in the preview window.

Starshine blushed as she watched the image of herself scrambling to steady the tower of blocks. <I appriciate the giggle that brought, but I dunno if that's funny enough to send to "Kanto's Funniest Home Videos".>

<You mean you're not mad at me for taping you?> Kira asked.

<Course not--I don't mind Kimi taping me.> Starshine smiled.

<I asked Lita and Brenna to do something for the camera, but they wouldn't.> Kira explained.

<You got them at a bad time--they'll want to do something in a while--maybe then we can make a movie together.> Starshine assured Kira. <Like...turn a story into a movie?>

<Yeah!> Kira followed Starshine to a bookshelf and began looking for one of the books of fairy tales...

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 22: Kira's Spooky Encounter

The thumping of Kimi's feet upstairs roused Kira from a nap. But before she could ask why her master was so excited, she smiled at what Kimi was wearing: a cream leotard, pale leggings, a hood with Meowth ears, and a fake Meowth tail. <Why are you in disguise as a Meowth?> she asked.

"Everyone at the breeding center was told to dress up in costume for the annual costume party." Kimi explained. "So this is my costume."

<In fact...> Brenna showed Kira one particular date with Halloween on it. <In another week is the holiday you're most likely to see some ghost Pokemon.>

<Ghosts?> Kira shuddered at this.

<Oh, Brenna...> Starshine giggled at Kira's panicked look. <Are you scaring Kira again?>

<I am not!> Brenna snapped back.

<Not all ghosts want to hurt you, Kira.> Lita assured Kira. <In fact, one lives here in the house, but she will only show herself on nights when the moon is full and on Halloween night.> Kira looked at the calendar again--that night was a full moon!

<What's this ghost's name?> Kira was interested.

<Her name's Luna, and she's a nice ghost.> Starshine explained. <When she comes out, she'll do nice things for Kimi, like cleaning the house, making sure we have food in the morning, things like that.>

"Fortunately, I have happened to see her." Kimi added as she showed Kira a picture of a form that looked vaguely like a Misdreavus tidying up the kitchen.

<Why does she live here in the house?> Kira asked.

<Maybe if you see her tonight, you can ask her why this is her favorite haunt.> Brenna replied. A sly look appeared on Kira's face--she wanted to see this ghost for herself!

That night...

<How will I know when Luna is out?> Kira asked as Kimi tucked her in.

<Something in the house will turn on by itself.> Brenna explained. <I don't know exactly what will be turned on on any given night, but Luna seems to like the TV and the radio. If the TV turns on, it's always on the classic movie channel, which always seems to show a musical at that time. Whatever it is, it will usually turn on around midnight.>

"Don't stay up too late" Kimi cautioned. "She may not even come out."

<Okay...> Kira sighed as she drifted off to sleep--deep down, she had confidence that Luna would appear.

The night passed without incident for the most part, until Kira suddenly heard the click of her TV turning on around midnight. She quickly sat up and strained to make out the fuschia and gray form of a Misdreavus in the dark, bemused in a black and white movie.

<Hello?> Kira softly called to the Misdreavus, being careful not to startle the ghostly visitor watching an old-timey musical. <Luna?>

The Misdreavus turned around to see who had called its name, only to smile at the Pichu looking back at it. <Hello there! I didn't know a mortal would be awake at this time!>

Kira was shocked the Misdreavus had spoken to her! <You're not going to curse me, are you?>

Luna giggled--a playful and gentle laugh that showed she meant no harm to those that shared this haunt. <No, cursing is not my nature...I lived my mortal life--which was long before you and your master existed--helping people and Pokemon. I died protecting the trainer I loved from a grisly fate, and so I continue to help others in the afterlife--but your friends and your master are one of the few that know I come here.>

<What Pokemon were you when you lived?> Kira was curious--and relieved the ghost that lived in the house was nice like Starshine had said.

<I was a Pidgey when I was mortal--I delivered messages to humans and performed with my master.> Luna continued. <As we were on our way to the next theater one night, thieves ambushed the coach, intent on stealing the props used in the show we traveled with. One of them tried to hurt my master, and I fought back until the thief delievered the final blow to my head.>

<You did a brave thing, dying for your owner.> Kira weakly smiled through a tear, touched by Luna's tale.

Luna sensed Kira's sadness. <Don't cry, little one--my master buried me the next morning thankful--if I had not given my life, the thieves would have killed him instead.>

Kira thought back to an episode of Ash's story Kimi had told her one night. <Say...Our Pokemon Master was brave enough to die for all the Pokemon--to protect them from a bad Pokemon that wanted to take over the world.>

<Really?> Luna was interested. <Yet I still sense his prescence as a mortal in this world...so how could he die and yet still be living?>

<His Pikachu loved him so much, all the captive Pokemon cried with him--and the power of their tears was enough to bring him back to life!> Kira continued. <The bad Pokemon was so touched by the Pokemon Master's sacrifice, he turned from his bad ways.> She swore she could see a tear forming in Luna's eye.

<The Pokemon Master you have now sounds like a good person--you're fortunate to have the League being led by someone like him.> Luna replied before floating to the window. <I thank you for sharing your story with me--will you tell me more about your time on my next visit?>

<I will!> Kira smiled. She waved goodbye as Luna flew off into the starry night--a ghostly sillhouette against the full moon.

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 23: Cooking with Kira

The thud of flour and mixing utensils roused Kira from a nap. At first, she paid no heed to the ingredients being arranged on the table, but seeing the bag of chocolate chips lying against the bag of flour tipped her off as to what Kimi was about to make. <Can I help make the cookies?> she asked.

<Kimi's making cookies?> Brenna, Starshine, and Lita were in the kitchen in a heartbeat.

"Yeah, I'm making cookies to take to the breeding center's annual bake sale." Kimi explained. "But I'm not sure if any of you can help..."

<According to your recipe, you need a little water...> Brenna explained as she climbed onto one of the measuring cups. <So here you go!> With that, she unleashed a Water Gun attack, filling the cup up to the proper level.

Kimi just smiled. "Thank you, Brenna, but I don't need the water just yet." She set the measuring cup with the water aside and reached for a stick of butter. "What we need to do first is melt some butter in the microwave..."

<For how long?> Kira asked, piqued by the array of numbers and pictures on the microwave display as Kimi set the butter inside.

"Thirty seconds will do." Kimi replied. Kira obediently hit the three, but accidentally bumped the zero twice on the way back to the floor! Kimi just calmly stopped the microwave and reset it for thirty seconds again.

<That was close...> Starshine sighed.

<Hitting the zero twice changes it to three minutes, not thirty seconds.> Lita gently reminded Kira as Kimi went to retrieve the butter from the microwave.

"Okay...now I'll need the water..." Kimi reached for the measuring cup Brenna had filled earlier and added the water to the butter.

Kira just watched as eggs, flour, sugar, and vanilla were added to the mixture. How can that yucky mess make cookies? she thought as the whir of the mixer signaled that it was almost time for the mixture to be shaped into cookies.

<I want to--> Starshine started, but accidentally turned the mixer's speed to HI, making the batter go splattering everywhere! <GAH!!!!>

<Yipe!> Kira agreed as she dove out of the way of a blob of batter.

After grappling with the mixer for a moment, Kimi reset the mixer's speed to MED. "I appriciate your wanting to help, Starshine, but we need to be careful around the mixer...as for the rest of you..."

<Just keep mixing the dough, Kira and I will clean the floor!> Lita assured her master as she wiped up a batter stain on the floor. Kimi just smiled and kept working as teh Pokemon hurried about the floor, wiping up the mess from earlier.

<What's a bake sale?> Kira asked as she continued wiping batter from the floor.

"It's where people make treats like these to sell--all the money we make's going to get some new incubators and other things." Kimi explained as she spooned out batter on a cookie sheet. "But the biggest event of the year comes next month..."

<The Christmas Gala...> Lita's, Starshine, and Brenna's eyes turned to stars.

<What's a gala?> Kira was confused.

<A gala's another name for a party...only it's a very nice party, so you need to behave if Kimi lets you go.> Brenna began. <The entire town turns out for dancing, Christmas songs...>

<Possibly performed by Master Ash!> Starshine interjected.

<Presents, and my favorite part, when they turn the big Christmas tree's lights on!> Lita added.

<Oh boy! I bet it looks beautiful!> Kira smiled as Kimi set the cookie sheet in the oven.

<Imagine that pine tree...> Lita explained, pointing out a pine tree in the yard. <...with lights and decorations on it, with a star at the top.>

Kira's eyes turned to stars at this--she wanted to see this beautiful tree herself!

To Be Continued...

Azzurra

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 3, 2013
Okay, I'm not sure you need "</>" behind your speech marks, so you should remove them.
I love the story however, keep it up.

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 24: Kira and the RP Board

Kira slumped down in her basket and sighed. She was bored, and not even the inviting smell of the Thanksgiving turkey being cooked in the kitchen could comfort her. It also didn't help that it was raining outside either.

She finally decided to walk towards the closet to find something to do--if she found a board game and her housemates were willing, they could all play together!

After carefully easing the giant box containing the board games out onto the floor, she started rummaging through it. <Now, I know there has to be a game in here we can all play, especially with company coming over tomorrow...>

<Maybe I can help?> Kira looked over to see Brenna walking in the room, with Lita and Starshine not far behind her. <Kimi wants us out of the kitchen while she makes the food for the huge meal we'll be eating in a few days.>

<The pies are my favorite!> Starshine agreed.

This didn't concern Kira. <What's a game we can all play?>

<Monopoly?> Lita suggested as she unearthed the game's box.

<Too long, and Kira wouldn't understand the rules.> Brenna replied.

<Sorry?> Lita suggested again, showing Brenna the box.

<We played that yesterday!> Starshine interjected. This exchange continued for a few minutes:

<Perfection?>

<The board popping would scare Kira!>

<Guess Who?>

<We need something four players can play!>

<Cranium?>

<Kimi said we'd play that when everyone gets here.>

<Scrabble?>

<Kira probably wouldn't get that either...>

<The Game of Life?>

<We'd lose too many pieces...>

<Operation?>

<That would scare Kira too!>

<Yahtzee?>

<Nah...>

<Trivial Pursuit?>

<That's more for the humans, anyway...>

Suddenly, Kira noticed a board game box depicting a female elf holding a crystal high while a male human warrior, an armored dwarf, and a female mage looked on. A long red haired boy clad in black and purple was off to the left, smirking deviously, while a swarm of various monsters was on the right, with the words "Adventure Quest" over the whole scene. <What about this one?>

Lita looked quizzically at the box. <I didn't know we had that one...>

<Kimi got it and Cranium at the toy store yesterday, remember?> Brenna noted. <Besides, this'll be perfect practice for Kira's storytelling skills.>

<Okay!!!> Lita and Starshine quickly cleared a place for the game board on the floor. Kira could see that the board was depicted as the inside of a huge dungeon, with what looked like a tower near the top.

<Ooh, know what would be cool?> Starshine suggested. <We could dress up as the characters to make it more realistic!>

Some minutes later...

Starshine sighed, making the long wig of red hair slump into her face. <Why did you make me be the wizard Arthan?>

<No one else wanted to!> Lita replied, adjusting the tiny blue warrior's gloves on her paws. <Now, give us the quest already!>

<Okay...> Starshine reluctantly reached for the quest book and started to read. <Long ago, the world was protected by the Crystals of Power. It was said that whoever could retrieve them from a great dungeon would be blessed with eternal happiness, and would bring peace to the world. Eager to have a chance at ruling the world, many adventurers have braved the dungeon but so far, none have returned alive. Will you be the ones to retrieve the Crystals, or will you die trying?> With that, she randomly placed four plastic gems around the board before motioning for Brenna to move. Brenna carefully moved the ranger piece four spaces, so that her character was just barely off to the left.

"Is everything okay in here?" Kimi asked before smiling down on the group's costumes. "I see you decided to dress up as the heroes on the Adventure Quest box..."

<Kira's idea to play it, but Starshine wanted to dress up.> Brenna replied.

Starshine set a goblin figurine before the ranger piece. <A goblin appears before Arilia, commence combat!> Brenna obediently rolled a dice, while Starshine did likewise.

<Arilia attacks the goblin for 3 damage!> Brenna announced as her dice came up as a five compared to Starshine's two.

<The goblin is defeated.> Starshine replied as she removed the goblin figure from play. <Arilia gains 5 experience.>

<Your turn, Kira.> Lita smiled as Kimi returned to the kitchen.

Kira rolled the dice and moved the mage piece six spaces, veering off to the right. Once her move finished, she looked to Starshine for what event would occur on her move.

Starshine showed Kira a card depicting a staff. <Meri finds a staff here...> Then, she set a snake figurine down facing the mage piece. <But a snake is guarding it! What does Meri do?>

Kira compared the staff card she had against the staff card Starshine had showed her--it wasn't too much stronger than the one she had, but the HP bonus was nice. <Meri casts the spell Sleep on the snake...> she began, discarding a spell card depicting a snoozing bat.

<Meri takes the Staff of Life, yet the snake doesn't awaken.> Starshine announced, making Kira smile smugly.

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 25: Kira's Snowy Day

Kira yawned as she woke up and rolled towards the window. <I wonder what we'll do tod-> She stopped midsentence, wide eyed at what she saw outside. <Lita? Brenna? Starshine? What happened to the world outside? It has all this white stuff on it!>

Lita was out of bed in a heartbeat. <It snowed last night!>

<Really?> Brenna was impressed. <I thought we'd only get a dusting or maybe an inch....>

"I guess that means I can't go out to the breeding center today to help get ready for the Christmas Gala." Kimi sighed. "It's okay though--the Gala's not for another week."

<Can we go play in the snow?> Lita begged, gesturing to the snowflakes that were falling outside the window.

<Please?> Brenna joined in.

"Wake Starshine up and eat breakfast first, then we'll go play." Kimi replied. With that, she left the room to start breakfast for herself.

Kira hurried over to where Starshine was sleeping and gave her a gentle nudge. <Starshine! Look outside!>

<What's all the fuss about?> Starshine asked with a yawn. She turned to look outside, where her sleepy grimace turned into a joyful smile. <Yay! It snowed!>

<Kimi says that once we eat breakfast, we can go play in it!> Lita smiled as she led the way into the kitchen.

An hour or so later...

Kira glanced at the tiny snowflakes falling around her. <I wonder how snow is made...>

<When it gets too cold for rain to fall, the rain freezes, making snow.> Brenna explained, motion for Kira to come look at a black card she was holding that was dotted with snowflakes. <If you look at snowflakes with a magnifying glass, you'll see that no two snowflakes look the same.> She reached in her coat pocket and offered Kira the magnifying glass. <Want to see?>

<Yes!> Kira glanced through the small magnifying glass, amazed at the number of shapes and patterns the snowflakes made. <Wow...they're so pretty!>

Starshine, meanwhile, attached a stick into the second snowball of a snow Pikachu to make its other arm. Some thicker sticks made the ears, and a vaguely thunderbolt shaped spring from the garden made the tail. <What do you think?>

<Very nice!> Lita replied. Brenna nodded in agreement.

<I want to make a snow Pokemon too!> Kira declared. With that, she rolled some snow into a larger ball, then set a smaller ball on top of that. Next, she set two buttons in the smaller snowball as her snow Pichu's eyes, two smaller twigs as its arms, and another small bent spring as its tail.

<I see you made a snow Pokemon yourself.> Starshine smiled as she admired the snow Pichu and snow Pikachu sitting together in the yard.

<I didn't want your snow Pikachu to be lonely, so I made it a friend.> Kira explained.

<Say...think we can ask Kimi to get the sled out?> Starshine asked.

<Yeah!> Kira was about to start back to the house when she felt something hit her back. She whirled around to see Brenna hiding behind a tree with a few snowballs, giggling a little.

<Payback time!> Lita flung a snowball back at Brenna, but Brenna ducked back behind the tree, making the snowball miss its target.

<Forget the sled...a snowball fight is a lot more fun!> With that, she heaved a snowball of her own into the unfolding melee....

To Be Continued....

EmeraldSky

Years
This episode is in memory of Maddie, and a posthumous thanks for bringing Meowth to life for ten wonderful years.

Episode 26: Kira's New Friend

<I can't believe it! The Christmas Gala is coming up in a few days!> Lita smiled as the group trooped back inside the house. She sniffed the air, savoring the small of chocolate coming from four mugs sitting on the table. <And Kimi made hot chocolate for us too!>

Kira, meanwhile, eyed an odd box with airholes lying by the tray of mugs. <What's in here?>

"You mean who." Kimi smiled as she set the box on the floor. "I have someone I want you all to meet." With that, she opened the box, granting the Pokemon inside access to the open.

Starshine was piqued. <Wonder what Pokemon's inside?>

Just then, a Meowth peeked from the box. <Is it okay to come out of da box yet?> it asked.

"Sure you can come out." Kimi coaxed. "Say hi to your new housemates."

<A Meowth?> Starshine shuddered. <I heard Team Rocket has one, and he can speak human!>

<Really?> Kira was amazed.

The Meowth bristled at Starshine's accusation. <Who ya calling a crook? I got better tings to do dan hang out with dose lowlifes!>

<I wasn't saying you were part of Team Rocket, too!> Starshine protested. <I was only stating a rumor I heard, and I know that it may or may not be true.>

<Dat's da ting with rumors...> the Meowth mused. <You don't even know if dey're true or not.>

<Now that that's settled, let's introduce ourselves.> Brenna smiled--this Meowth was a feisty one, compared to most Meowths she had seen, who were just content to laze on a windowsill or climb trees. <I'm Brenna--pleased to meet you.>

<I'm Starshine...> Starshine began. <And these two are Lita...> Lita just waved hello. <...and Kira.> Kira just smiled shyly.

The Meowth was piqued by Kira's tension. <What's da matter? I'm not gonna hoit ya.>

<It's just...I've heard Meowths eat Pichus sometimes...> Kira blurted.

The Meowth sighed. <More rumors again...not every Meowth likes a Pichu for lunch, 'kay?> it began. <Take me--I'm scared to eat a Pichu cause the 'lectricity could cause da woild's biggest case of indigestion?>

<What's "indy-gesstion"?> Kira asked.

<In other woids, upset tummies.> the Meowth explained. Kira nodded to show she understood. <So I'm not da type to eat Pichus.> Kira heaved a huge sigh of relief.

<So, how did Kimi adopt you...> Lita asked before pausing--the Meowth had not yet been named.

<Leon.> The Meowth replied. <Kimi wanted me to have a name that I liked--and I fancy myself a lion with all da lessons I loined on da streets...>

<You were out in the alleyways?> Kira asked. Leon nodded. <That's awful!>

<Yeah...I loined really fast dat not everyone you meet will be a friendly face.> Leon began. <Our family was not very well off, at least in a Meowth's toims; so it was every Meowth for demselves. We picked through trash every day, slept in boxes every night, tangled with da junkyard Growlithes, da whole nine yards!>

<And you didn't catch any disease or something?> Kira was interested now.

<Nope--our family was lucky dat we never caught anyting, but the udder Meowths--some of dem were not so lucky. It was heartbreaking, seein' some of them suffer.> Leon continued, brushing one tear away with a paw. <I wanted to get away--find a human willing to take care of me and love me like all da Pokemon I saw on da streets day in and day out. And den your master came...>

<What did Kimi do?> Kira asked.

<She gave me da once over and presumed I was healthy, then looked over my brudders and sisters too.> Leon replied. <Next came my mudder and fadder--and then we were all put in a box and taken to da breedin' center.>

<And then?>

<We were poked and prodded with all kinds of tings just to be SURE we were disease free. Once we were confoimed as all bein' healthy, we were taken to the adoption room. Kimi was then asked if she wanted one of us to take care of herself.>

<And she chose you?> Starshine asked interested in Leon's story.

<Yeah...> Leon sighed. <I'll miss my family, and I hope all of'em got a loving and kind human like Kimi to take care of'em.>

<I hope so too...no Pokemon should have to go through what you did.> Brenna interjected.

<At any rate, welcome to your new family!" Lita smiled as she hugged Leon.

<Tanks, you guys...> Leon replied. <With Christmas comin' up soon, I can safely say that just bein' adopted into a lovin' home was my greatest gift of all!> Everyone else laughed joyfully in agreement.

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 27: Kira's Campout

The howling wind woke Kira from a nap. She darted from the window and watched the snow swirl outside for a moment, taking heart that the snow Pikachu and snow Pichu she and Starshine had built just a month before were still standing. <Goodness, it's cold outside!>

<I know da feelin'...> Leon sighed. <Gives me one more reason why I'm tankful for you guys.>

Kira teared up. <You froze to death every winter in the alleyways?>

<Not exactly...the Meowth in charge of all of us knew where we could go for warmth and not be shooed away by humans.> Leon explained. <What humans we did find took pity on us and gave us what dey could give. But dose days are gone, and I have your master to tank for it!>

<I wish it were warmer...> Lita sighed. <Then we could go camping in the mountains by here.>

Kira's eyes lit up. <Why don't we have a campout here?>

Leon was stunned. <Right now? We'd toin into Pokemonsicles if we went outside into the mountains now!>

<Furthermore, the temperature in the mountains are much colder than they would be here, so the snow would be even worse.> Brenna warned.

Kira just giggled. <No, no--I meant have a campout here in the house! That way, we won't even have to go outside!>

<Aldough...where are we gonna find a campfire, tents, and all dat udder stuff you need to camp?> Leon was puzzled.

<We have our own fire in here!> Lita explained as she led Leon into the living room, where she pointed out the fireplace. <This is it...Kimi only lights it when it's cold outside.>

Just then, Kimi walked in the room with the Pokemon's lunches and gasped when she noticed all five Pokemon huddled around the lifeless fireplace. "Are you guys cold?"

<I was about to ask if we could light the fireplace, anyway.> Lita started as she motioned for Starshine to join them in the room. Kimi just smiled, set the tray of food where Lita could take it and divide up the food, and reached for the lighter on the mantel. After shooing Kira and Leon away, she set some logs on the fireplace and touched the lighter's tiny flame to them, starting a hearty blaze.

<Thank you!> Brenna called as she draped some blankets on a nearby chair to make it resemble a tent.

<So, what do we do on a campout?> Leon was interested.

<Well, we cook marshmallows over the fire...> Kira explained as she carefully held a marshmallow to the flickering flames.

<Then we sing songs and tell stories!> Lita smiled.

"I would sing a song or two, but I'm busy cleaning house." Kimi called from the kitchen. "So we'll do that later."

<We can still tell stories!> Starshine assured everyone. <So who wants to tell one?>

<This should be easy for Kira...> Brenna smiled.

<I dunno, what kind of a story would you guys want me to tell?> Leon asked.

<Usually on a campout, you're supposed to tell scary stories...but since we're inside, let's just tell whatever kind of story we want.> Lita replied.

<I know a few I loined from listenin' to da storyteller dat came to da bookshop nearby the alley where me n' my family lived.> Leon began. <He would come and tell stories to da children every day around noon--never knew dat the alley Meowths loved his tales too.>

<What kind of stories?> Kira was interested.

<Let's see here...> Leon thought for a moment. <Dere was once a Buneary dat lived in a forest---and his favorite place to get a drink was by a river bend. Ting is, da Buneary didn't know two Ekans patrolled the banks of dat river bend. He did know dat neither of da Ekans was aware of the other's existence....>

Some hours later...

<...and from dat day on, the Buneary had to disguise himself as a Stantler if he ever wished for a drink from his favorite place.> Leon concluded his tale. <Moral of da story? Don't play tricks on Ekans!> Everyone applauded.

<You're quite the storyteller, Leon!> Starshine began.

<Can I go next?> Kira volunteered. She waited for everyone to settle in, then started. <One day, Master Ash and his friends were traveling when they came to a river, and the bridge was out...>

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 28: Kira and the Cliffhanger

Kira sighed as Brenna flipped through the TV channels. I wish there was more on right now... she thought as she glumly watched scenes of people fishing, people fleeing from a giant Caterpie-like monster, a lady cooking, and the weather forecast. She thought she saw Ash swearing in a new League Champion in the sea of images, but decided against watching that--she likely wouldn't understand the pageantry involved.

She was about to doze off when a cry of "Oh no!" snapped her to attention. She watched in horror as a girl tried to hang onto a cliff before the camera cut over to a boy on a Pidgeot frantically flying towards the cliff. Minutes before the boy could save the girl, the scene froze and turned black-and white.

<That's it?> Kira asked, shocked. The girl was in danger, and the boy needed to save her--but was the boy going to make it?

The TV announcer cut on over the black and white screen: "Will our hero save Laurana? Don't miss tomorrow's exciting episode!" With that, the words 'To Be Continued..." appeared over the boy, casting a pall over Kira's hopes as the closing credits started to roll.

<I want to know what happens next!> Kira sighed as Brenna resumed flipping through the channels in search of a new cartoon to watch.

<You heard the TV guy--tomorrow you'll learn if the boy saved the girl or not.> Brenna assured Kira as she settled in to watch "Yes! Pokemon 5"

<But I want to know now!> Kira protested.

<What's all da complainin' about?> Leon asked as he peeked in the room.

<Kira and I were watching 'Crystal Quest', and today's cliffhanger involved Laurana, well, hanging from a cliff.> Brenna explained. <And Kira's worried about Laruana falling.>

<Ah, 'Crystal Quest'--dat fantasy show with all da cliffhangers dat was on just about every TV I could see from da alleys...> Leon sighed dreamily. "I made a point to find a TV just before night fell so I could loin how da previous day's cliffhanger came out."

Kira was confused. <What's a cliffhanger?>

<Basically, a cliffhanger is a point a movie will stop at to get you to come back and see the rest of it--or the next part.> Brenna explained.

<And if the goil was hanging off a cliff again, she's likely going to get rescued.> Leon assured Kira. <Trust me--dey do dat kind of cliffhanger a lot on 'Crystal Quest'> Kira heaved a huge sigh of relief upon hearing that the girl was going to be all right. Her question now was how the girl was going to be rescued. She figured that the boy would arrive on his Pidgeot in the nick of time--but what if she wound up being rescued a different way?

Brenna abandoned the TV and brought a book over to Kira. <In fact, whole movies are made this way--they're called 'serials'> she explained, showing Kira the pictures of various serial cliffhanger screens. <In olden times, they were usually science fiction, Westerns, superhero stories, and the occasional jungle or mystery. Today, they come in all kinds--even adapted from video games!">

<Wow!> Kira was impressed.

<The catch is, with those, you have have to worry about 12 or 13 cliffhangers.> Brenna explained. <Some of them even have as many as 15!>

<Fortunately for you, you can find them in theaters today, and classic examples online.> Lita explained. Kira just decided to climb on top of Kimi's desk, where the computer displayed a classic movie site. After typing "serial" in the search box, she looked over the list of results. <Look at all these...I'd need years to watch them all if I watched them like you're supposed to...>

The next day...

<Come on!> Brenna coaxed Kira to keep up as everyone hurried to the living room. <Today we find out if Laurana is saved!>

<I'll go get da popcorn!> Leon volunteered as the other Pokemon settled before the TV, where the cliffhanger scene from the day before was slowly beginning to colorize. Leon returned as the scene began moving again, allowing the boy to grab the girl and hoist her onto his Pidgeot seconds before the cliff face crumbled away.

<See? Laurana's just fine.> Brenna assured Kira.

<What'd I tell ya?> Leon agreed. <If ya see a cliffhanger like dat, you already know how it comes out.> Kira nodded to show she understood, then turned her attention back to the screen, just as a plant monster swiped away the girl!>

Everyone held their breaths as the boy drew his sword before the screen turned black and white again.

<That's not fair!> Kira complained over the announcer. <I wanted to see the fight!>

<Cliffhanger.> Leon reminded her.

Lita sighed. <Here we go again...>

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 29: Kira and the Power Failure (part 1)

Kira sat by the windowsill, watching crystaline drops fall outside. <If those aren't rain, and they're not snow either...then what are those?> The icicles tipped her off to the drops' identity. <Oh, ice!> Her thoughts quickly turned to ice skating in the park, but she also knew that Kimi would likely say no because it was too slippery to even walk.

Her daydream was suddenly interuppted by the lights going out. <Hey, who turned out the lights?>

<Ice just built up on the power lines and made the lights go out.> Starshine explained as she fumbled for a flashlight to light Kimi's way to the kitchen cabinets. Kira nodded and watched as Kimi fished out a few candles, set them on the table and the candleholders lining the walls, and lit them.

<So pretty!> Kira commented.

<All we need now are da waiters in tuxedos and maybe a fiddle player....> Leon agreed. Kira's eyes turned to stars as she imagined herself and Leon having a candlit dinner in a fancy restaurant, complete with a violinist that looked somewhat like Ash.

<And there goes Kira and her imagination...> Lita giggled, noting Kira's starry eyes.

<I know another familiar voice that could get it running even more...> Starshine grabbed her flashlight and took off down the hall. She returned a few minutes later carrying a portable radio and a CD depicting Brock looking up at a starry sky with the words "Stories and Lore for a Starry Night" written in silver swirly letters in the sky. <One of Kimi's storytelling CDs!>

"Those are real lifesavers while I'm working at the breeding center." Kimi smiled. "I usually put them on to help the baby Pokemon sleep at naptime....soon as Brock says 'Once upon a time' or 'Once there was...' they're out like a light, no pun intended."

<But how's the radio going to work?> Kira was confused.

<This radio runs on batteries as well as a plug, so it should work fine, even when the power's out.> Starshine assured Kira. With that, she accepted the CD from Kimi, set it in the CD player, closed it, and pressed PLAY.

A relaxing acoustic guitar melody played for a few moments before Brock's voice began speaking over the music: "Once a Rayquaza grew proud, believing that he was the supreme ruler of the world. One day, he threatened to destroy a village if they didn't sacrifice a young girl of pure heart each year. For a hundred years, the villagers complied out of fear."

<Pfft...it's always a dragon or a dragon-like Pokemon dat wants to make trouble...> Leon was not impressed by the story's beginning.

<It gets better, trust me!> Lita assured Leon. Leon just shrugged and made himself cormfortable on a beanbag chair.

"Before long, only one family with daughters remained." Brock's voice continued. "The father of this family loved his daughters very much, and it pained him to choose which of them would be sacrificed to the Rayquaza."

"Would you be sad if you had to pick one of us to be eaten by a Rayquaza?" Kira asked Kimi.

"Oh yes...I would be very sad--I love you guys as much as the father in this story loves his daughters." Kimi replied as she settled into a chair."

Kira decided to settle by the radio as another interlude played. After a few moments, Brock's voice spoke again. "The father spent many days agonizing over his choice; until the youngest daughter, Losi, volunteered to face the Rayquaza. The father refused, his love for Losi and her sisters was so great. But this didn't deter Losi...she went straight to the elder's house and demanded that she be the one to save the village. But the elder's attendants merely laughed at her youth, and only gave her a Growlithe and a sword for protection."

<Just like Link--only Link didn't have a Growlithe.>Kira thought.

"Determined to prove herself, Losi traveled to the Rayquaza's lair. When she arrived several days later, the Rayquaza awoke with a great roar!" The music turned exciting and some faint Growlithe barks and ringing of metal were heard in the background as Brock's voice continued "Losi's Growlithe stood by her, barking a warning to the great dragon. "The Rayquaza continued to writhe and roar, but the Growlithe kept barking and running in circles to distract it.

Losi lunged at the Rayquaza and stabbed it, but it was in vain. The Rayquaza, angered by the wound, threw Losi and her Growlithe hard against the rocks." A dramatic sting played for a moment, but then the music and fighting sounds intensified, giving Kira renewed hope. "Despite her bruises, Losi continued fighting. The Growlithe ran up and bit the Rayquaza hard. As it opened its mouth to let out a howl of pain, Losi plunged her blade into its heart, defeating it!" A victorious interlude played in the background as Brock went on "As the Rayquaza let out its dying shriek, its spirit took to the sky to be reborn as a new Rayquaza, one that would never again return to the land of humans."

Some cheering noises were hear over the music as Brock concluded "The townspeople hailed their new heroine, and the elder offered Losi his son's hand in marraige. To commemorate Losi's brave deed, a statue was erected in the town square. From that day on, the townspeople never forgot the girl that slew a great dragon."

<That wasn't too bad of a story, now was it?> Brenna assured Leon.

<I've hoid da 'hero kills a dragon' routine a billion times.> Leon sighed over another guitar interlude <Why can't da dragons be the good guys for once?>

<I want to know what the next story is...> Kira sighed over the music...

To Be Continued....

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 30: Kira and the Power Failure (part 2)

Kira sighed as she slumped to the floor. [I wish the lights would come back on...]

[We all do, babycakes.] Leon grumbled. [Aldough you're not out in da thick of da ice and snow, dis is what it felt like to be freezin' cold with very little shelter.] Kira teared up at this--would she have lasted very long in the kind of environment Leon had been born in?

"You have to remember that it takes a while for the utility crews to get the lights back on--but they're working as fast as they can." Kimi assured the five Pokemon that huddled around the fireplace.

Just then, Kira heard a crash from outside, and leapt on top of Starshine in fear. [What was that?]

[If you'll get off, I'll tell you!] Starshine grumbled. Kira obediently hopped off of her housemate, but another crash sent her clinging to a blanket.

[Scardey Meowth...] Lita giggled.

Leon shot Lita an annoyed look. [I resent dat remark!]

[Okay, okay, I'm sorry...] Lita quickly apologized before attempting to figure out a way to coax Kira down from the chair. [You can come down, everything's okay!]

[But what if that crash is someone trying to break in?] Kira asked as another crash came from outside.

[It's not someone trying to break in!] Starshine explained as she hopped up to the windowsill and opened the curtains, allowing Kira to look outside at the thoroughly iced over houses and yards. [It's tree branches falling into yards nearby our house.]

[Fortunately, they all appear to be falling away from the houses.] Brenna added, noting the pile of iced branches that was accumulating in the yard of one house. [Good thing Kimi remembered to trim the branches before the ice came!]

[Lemme give ya a science lesson, kiddo.] Leon began before hurrying off down the hall with one of the flashlights. He returned a few minutes later with the large box of Lego bricks from their bedroom. [Say dis skinny little tower of blocks is a tree, 'kay?] he began, arranging a few of the small square blocks into a short tower. [Now, trees can hold up quite a lot of weight.] he continued as he began attaching other bricks to his hastily made tower. [But if you get too much weight on one branch...] he continued as he tried to add another brick to his creation, which was beginning to teeter under the weight under the other bricks. Before he could add the brick, his tower came crashing to the floor, save for the small tower he had started with. [da branch breaks and falls off da tree, just like dat.]

[Oh...] Kira was impressed with Leon's analogy.

[If you're not careful, da branch can hit houses and damage them, just like some of the blocks fell on da chair.] Leon explained as he retrieved some bricks from the cushions of the green easy chair nearby the window.

[So Kimi makes sure to trim the branches on the trees in our yard before winter comes so they won't hit the house.] Lita explained.

Kimi smiled as Leon scrambled to pick up the blocks in the darkness. "Thanks, Leon--I think you cured Kira's fear of falling branches."

[Aw, it was nothin'] Leon smiled as he finished putting the blocks away.

Kira winced as she heard more branches fall a few houses away. [Just think of the branches as blocks...] she assured herself as the crashes continued intermittently for about an hour.

[Say, don't we have an emergency generator?] Starshine wondered.

Kimi's eyes lit up. "I think we do...wait there, guys." With that, she dashed outside to the garage.

[What's a generator?] Kira was curious.

[Something that makes power.] Lita explained. [Kimi bought one last year after a snowstorm knocked out our power for a week!]

[Were ya bored?] Leon asked as Kimi returned with a large red cylinder shaped device.

[Oh, we were!] Brenna groaned, trying to stave off memories of the event. [It was so boring having to read by flashlight...]

[Monopoly got old fast...] Starshine agreed as Kimi checked a few settings on the generator.

"All right...let's see if this generator still works." With that, Kimi flicked on the Power switch, making the lights and appliances in the house come back to life with a whir.

[Now DIS is da life!] Leon smiled, relieved that the power was back on to a degree.

[I hope we don't have to spend another day in the dark.] Kira smiled as she continued watching the ice and snow fall outside.

[Well, if we do, there's always the generator.] Starshine assured Kira. Everyone giggled with relief, glad that they had light once more....

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 31: Kira's Garden

The warm sun shone down on Kira's face. [Mm...I haven't felt the sunshine in a long time...] she mused. Some thumping and clatter from the grage snapped her from her dream. [What's all the noise for?]

[Kimi's getting ready to plant a garden, like she does every spring.] Brenna explained has she woke up, throwing her covers on top of Leon as she climbed from her bed. [If you ask nice, she might let you help out.

Kira was about to answer when she saw Leon beginning to emerge from the blankets. [All right, all right, I'm up.] he yawned before noticing all the various platers, seed packets, and garden tools strewn down the hallway [What's all da mess doin' here?]

[Brenna says we're planting a garden today.] Kira explained.

[A garden, huh?] Leon romped down the hallways and examined the various seed packets. [Zinnia, marigolds...ooh, pansies...daisies...]

[What's this one?] Kira asked, waving a packet that read 'Mint' on it.

She saw Lita and Starshine running down the hall to get a glimpse of what Kimi was going to plant this year. [What's this mint stuff?]

[Mint's that sweet flavor in your gum, candy, and toothpaste.] Starshine explained. [Kimi says it's good for stomach aches, and it makes a great sauce for meat.] This made Leon drool with anticipation of tasting a steak or a chicken breast with mint sauce.

[Now you made Leon hungry...] Lita giggled.

[Speaking of food, let's go get some breakfast.] Brenna suggested. With that, the five Pokemon romped down the hall to the kitchen.

In the garden...

Kira watched as Kimi went down the neatly organized rows of planters, posting pictures of what plant was to go in each one. [Wow...I bet when the plants are all blooming, this will look so pretty!]

"Okay, guys...if you want to help, listen close." Kimi explained. "I've already put soil in the planters, and the little picks with the pictures should tell you what plant goes in which planter."

[Got it!] Lita replied.

"So, if you'll come up to this basket and pick what seeds you want to plant, I'll leave the planting to you guys." Kimi continued as she set out a basket full of the seed packets and began filling a watering can with water.

[Dibs on da pansies!] Leon called as he snatched the pansy seeds from the basket.

[I'll take care of the marigolds!] Lita volunteered.

[I'll do the zinnias!] Starshine offered.

[And I'll help Kira plant the mint.] Brenna offered.

"Okay...everyone got some seeds to plant?" Kimi asked as she mixed in some fertilizer in the water. Everyone nodded and scattered to the different planters.

Brenna led Kira over to a planter by the door, which had a mint pick in it. [Okay...what I want you to do is drop the seeds in the little holes I'm going to make and cover them up. Once they're covered, let me know and I'll come water them.]

[But why can't we plant them with the flowers?] Kira asked.

[Mint grows really quickly, and it would choke the other plants if we did that.] Brenna explained as she made a small hole in the soil. [That's why Kimi's putting a different plant in every planter.] She waited as Kira dropped in a seed and covered it, then aimed a low level Water Gun at the covered seed.

[You'll know when it's time to pick da mint when it starts smelling...minty.] Leon smiled.

"Then I'll pick some of the leaves and take them inside the house so we can have some for food and medicine." Kimi smiled as she watered the pansies.

[How do you make mint sauce?] Kira asked. She had been thinking about what a mint sauce looked like, but judging from Leon's enamored face, it had to taste good!

"The recipe I use came from my grandparents." Kimi explained. "My grandma would take some mint leaves and honey and mix them up, and when it was time to make sauce, she would take a little of that mixture and add some vinegar to it for a little sour to balance the sweetness of the mint and honey. It's great on chicken and other meats." Kira's mouth was watering as she continued planting mint seeds--when her lants were ready, she wanted to try this sauce for herself.

[Great, now Kira's hungry.] Starshine giggled, making everyone laugh.

To Be Continued...

EmeraldSky

Years
Episode 32: Kira the TV Star (part 1)

Lita burst into the room, waking Kira from a nap. [Did you hear? Did you hear?]

[Hear about what?] Kira groggily asked.

[The breeding center's going to be featured on "Kanto Today" next week--and that means Kimi and all of us are going to be on TV!] Lita explained, stars forming in her eyes. [It's a dream come true!]

[Just be forewarned, I hear bein' a TV star's a lot of woik...take it from a TV star Meowth I met while on the prowl in the alleys one day.] Leon cautioned.

[What was a TV star doing out in the alleyways?] Kira was curious.

[She and her master were doin' some community service by bringin' food and shelter to da alley Meowths.] Leon explained. [Her name was Twila, if my memory soives me right...]

[Isn't she the Meowth in the new Pokechow commercial?] Brenna asked. [The one where the Meowth does a tap dance?]

[Nope, dat's a different Meowth--da Meowth in dat commoicial is a boy.] Leon replied. [Twila's more of da quiet and subtle type--commoicials weren't her ting, but if da director needed a Meowth who could just sit somewhere and look beautiful for da camera, Twila was da Meowth to call. You could send a whole marchin' band in her room and she'd just sit still, as calm and quiet as ever]

[Oh, she was likely the Meowth in the Pallet Jewelry commercial--the one where the Meowth gets in the jewelry box and then relaxes with all the necklaces and rings on her?] Starshine asked.

[She did dat commoicial.] Leon smiled before trying to remember where he was in his story before Brenna had sent him off on a tangent. [Anyway, while she was passin' out food and blankets for all of us, I asked her what it was like bein' on TV.]

[And she said?] Kira was interested.

[She told me dat you had to be up oily in da mornin'--sometimes as oily as 5 AM!] Kira shuddered at this--would she have to be at the TV station that early for her appearance on "Kanto Today"? [Den after breakfast, you went before the trainer to rehoise what it was you had to do for da show or da commoicial. Den it was another six to eight hours before da camera, gettin' what you rehoised just right.]

[Isn't "Kanto Today" done live?] Kira asked. She remembered seeing a "LIVE" on the screen when she watched the show, so did that mean the show was done live?

[I've been on "Kanto Today" with Kimi before, so I know what it's like.] Lita assured Kira.

[Is being on TV scary?] Kira stammered.

[Not if you know what to expect] Lita replied. [For my appearance, we had to be there at 7 that morning. Then, we met the director and the host of our segement...]

[What were you doing while Kimi was busy?] Kira asked.

[I was taken to makeup while Kimi talked with the director.] Lita replied.

Kira pictured Lita in clown makeup and giggled. [I bet you looked silly as a clown!]

[Oh, no, no, this wasn't clown makeup...] Lita stammered. [This kind was more like the stuff Kimi uses when she's going somewhere special]

[When you go on TV, dey put makeup on you to lower da glare da camera picks up.] Leon explained. [Or so Twila told me all dose years ago...]

[After I was done in makeup, it was Kimi's turn. Then the director told everyone what they were going to do, where our places were, and stuff like that.] Lita continued. [It was a little scary knowing millions of people were going to see me. Imagine the play you were in, and imagine an audience many times bigger than that--that's how many people were going to be watching.]

Kira's eyes widened. [Wow wee!] She was both awed at the prospect of being on TV, and afraid--being in a play was one thing, but was she ready for being on TV?

To Be Continued...

Back