• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linear or Free Roam?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
  • What do you prefer, a game's story being relatively straightforward or do you prefer to have an objective but a million ways to get there?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • I prefer video games that are more straightforward, siiince that's much easier for me than to spend countless hours figuring out what to do. XD

Not to say I don't prefer games with variety, it's just.. too much variety may be a little much, you know?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Ever since I was introduced to dynamic (I think thats the opposite of linear) games, I've become extremely picky with linear games. Most games I buy now are usually dynamic, with the exceptions being portable games. I always rack up more playing time with dynamic games, so, according to my standards, makes them well worth the money and they also allow flexibility, just in case I'm unskilled with a certain task.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • The only place I believe linear games belong is in old NES games like Mario or Castlevania. Free roam games are for the next-gen.

I prefer them to linear anyway. I like having different routes to get where I need to go.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think there needs to be some kind of inbetween. There should be some essence of exploring, roaming off the main path, however a truly open game (out of the MMO scene) feels out of place and empty, ie. Skyrim.

A Linear game, however (FFXIII?), feels very forced. It takes options out of your hands and essentially gives you a straight line to run.

So yeah >< Somewhere in between would be best.

Reactions: T!M

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
  • Both types have their ups and downs.

Games where there's only one path to one goal get predictable after a while, but you can challenge yourself to complete them faster, or go for a 100% run.

Games that are open-world can be a little overwhelming for some players, but they sure keep you busy for a long time.

Reactions: T!M

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    I definitely agree with SwiftSign. There are some perks to having a ton of way to do things, but I think it's easier to understand if there are main options that will get you there efficiently. Video games shouldn't let you run rampant trying to figure out everything on your own after you're assigned a quest, but they shouldn't hold your hand all the way through either. Finding a balance is key to solid game-play.

SomaQL

The Varia Suit
    Years
  • A combination of the two, classified as non-linear exploration. Super Metroid is an excellent example of this.

Years
  • I like both, except the way they did it in Shadow the Hedgehog was horrible! You can never be completely bad because in the end, you save the city. What if I wanted to be bad? It just puts a lot of confusion into my mind.
    [Shadow:] I have to be a good hedgehog? Damn it! Let Sonic have my role for god sakes!

Back