• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for Gen 3 (FRLG Style) Sprite Artist - Essentials

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2022
    Hi there! Please move this topic if this is in the wrong section. Still kinda new here so don't know where everything fits, but I've been chatting a bit in Discord and the good folk over there sent me here.

I'm currently in the (very slow) process of making a Pokemon game (several, actually, but want to get this first idea off the books first) via Pokemon Essentials and RPG Maker XP, but I have not sprited before and want to enlist the help of a sprite artist for some of the main story arc sprites that are relevant. I think for a basic start, I'm going to be using the Essentials FRLG tilesets and using their trainer-sprite styles, and their overworlds.

Basically, I would need the standard makings of any Pokemon game, but with a few twists. For example:
    1. Custom villainous team Grunt and Admin Sprites, possibly a Boss sprite but not sure on that one yet.
    2. Nine (yes, nine, not eight) Gym Leaders the 9th Leader is technically a "Bonus", but still is required to be defeated before Elite Four. (see: with a few twists)
    3. Custom Elite 4 and Champion sprites
    4. Custom Trainer sprites for both the beginning/standard Male and Female players.
    5. I kind of want to implement some sort of "embodiment" of myself into the game, for like a 'bonus/post-game' event, so if you can sprite something Pokemon-style based on(off?) a real-life image, like a selfie, that'd be cool too.

And those are just the very few I could think of right off the top of my head so far. There will be more to come probably, but it'd have to be a long-term project we'd have to collaborate on/discuss with one another. I think this is the most custom spriting I'll need done, but if anything changes I'll notify/ask the artist right away if they could do more work

Please if anybody wants to help me out and you are interested, let me know :D

Thank you again.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    You're asking quite a lot from complete strangers. Maybe offer some incentives to help? Like make them the gym leaders or whatever

Also, for your own avatar in the game, it'd be most rewarding to do one yourself I believe. I'd be happy to help you through the steps and process but since its obviously something personal you'll get more out of it by doing that one yourself.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2022
    Thanks for the tips, all! And it's really not that much to be honest, but I understand how you could perceive it that way. And thanks Nina, I'll be sure to see if someone is interested there.

Sure, helping out with steps would also help me a great deal! I'm not sure what other incentives there are or could be besides gym leaders, but we'll see. I already had gym leader ideas, so it wouldn't be for this game but maybe another one, so I'd have to find a different incentive.

Anyway, appreciate the responses!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    20 trainers from scratch in Gen 3 style is gonna take someone at the least 12 hours, if not 20 odd. Its quite a workload. I could probably do you one or two when I'm quiet, do you have a visual reference to what the grunts look like?

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2022
    That's true; I didn't think about it that way. No visual reference yet for the grunts, but I was thinking sort of like the Rocket Grunts, but with a different kind of hat [maybe a Gentlemen trainer style hat or something close to a Youngster baseball cap], a full-on possibly sterling metallic gray outfit, and where the Red R would be, it'd be replaced with a bright sun (the teams name is Solar, so the outfit would be a nod to that). Nothing too serious. It could really be any color so long as the Sun stood out as Solar's insignia.

Hope that helps.

Back