• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

lots of cards no idea what to do with them

Years
  • So I bought a tin of over 100 cards at Goodwill. I bought them to sell but having no luck there. I have been thinking of keeping them and actually playing them but no idea where to start and having trouble fining that info. So my question is how do you get started as a beginner in the actual card game?

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Buy a starter deck. I recommend that because though it is crazy expensive IMO at some places ($20! But you probably have tons right?) but it's worth it, because it explains the rules to you and gives you, let's say, equipment.

Otherwise, check the current decks that are Tournament format and if you have some of them in those decks, work on making a 60-card deck. Try checking our TCG Deck Reviewing sub-forum, we have a guide to making your first deck!

Then, just play against a friend or something, and once you're confident that you can win most of the time, find out where a tournament may be held near you and start working your way up!

I don't know if you're willing to do that, but it's just a suggestion. Basically, create a deck and then do whatever you want after that.

Years
  • How do I check what's tournament legal? Also I am unemployed. The cards I got at Goodwill was $3 and change which is why I was going to try to sell them but no market. I use to play against friends when I was like 8 so it has been a while. What would be a good starter deck?

Last edited:

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
  • I believe there is a thread on here that says which series are legal and which ones aren't. I do believe that it's only Black & White and up now though. So any starter deck that's "Black and White" would be good to get.

Years
  • The reason they were so cheap in the first place, having looked at your thread in the Deck Reviewing section, is that they're all commons and uncommons, which you'll be lucky to sell for $0.50 apiece.

As for learning to play, your best bet is to spend $10 on a Trainer Kit.

That and go visit www.pokemontcg.com/tutorials to refamiliarize yourself with the game and any changes that have been made to the rules and gameplay since you last played.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I just went through them all and I have 18 that are stars and most of those are holos. They were so cheap because I bought them at Goodwill. Which is a second-hand store that people donate things to and they re-sell. So I get that none are legal but in my other thread what would be a good practice deck for now? I have no cash and it wil be a while before I can buy a starter kit.

Years
  • The problem is, I didn't see any basic energy in your other cards. You need basic energy to have a functional deck of the type you want (Fire).

Do you have any other cards besides these? Specifically, you're looking for Fire energy.

Have you given the tutorials a go, yet?

Years
  • Looked at the tutorials yesterday. They were awesome and very helpful! Today my b/f's step-bro gave me all his Pokemon cards so I have lots more energy and trainer cards. Will post the updated list tomorrow. Quick Question two of the trainer cards he gave me are in German. Do you know of a website where I can research them and find out what they are worth?

Back