• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mad Cow Disease. A another worry in the US

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • Arwen said:
    Well, it's tempary. I will start eating beef when theres no mad cow in the US...
    I see where you're coming from, but you're just being paranoid. If everyone was really that worried about it, they would do what Japan is doing now and check EVERY animal being slaughtered for human consumption for BSE to make sure it's okay. But since the US and Canada isn't doing that, you can probably expect that the experts know what they're doing and don't think it's necessary.

Btw, LA... why reverting back to the old username? ^^;

EDIT: Just got Arwen's post. There may not have been a case years ago, but you can't really notice the symptoms of BSE in live animals until a few years after the disease is contracted... and you can only confirm the disease if the animal is already dead by checking the brain.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
  • I'm not worried. The FDA knows how to keep people healthy and the virus is located in the central nervous system. You only have to worry if you buy the cheap beef.

Not to mention the cow came from Canada. I believe Canada still feeds their cows ground up animal parts that couldn't be sold (e.g. spine, brain, etc). Hmm... The cows that are fed grain don't get sick and the ones that are fed the parts of dead cows get sick. Maybe there is a link.

Legendary Anime

Old Legendary Monster
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 25, 2004
    Because I'm tired of people saying: "Oh, you're Legendary Anime from PC a while back". ^^;

Do you think the cow got the disease and died all in the same day? And who cares if there wasn't a case. What if there wasn't any 'case' now, yet in 5 years there was a case and you said the same thing? There's as much of a chance for it to happen now, 5 years from now, or 100 years from now.

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years
  • Shining Arcanine said:
    I'm not worried. The FDA knows how to keep people healthy and the virus is located in the central nervous system. You only have to worry if you buy the cheap beef.

Not to mention the cow came from Canada. I believe Canada still feeds their cows ground up animal parts that couldn't be sold (e.g. spine, brain, etc). Hmm... The cows that are fed grain don't get sick and the ones that are fed the parts of dead cows get sick. Maybe there is a link.
    From what I've read, the cow that contracted the disease had eaten feed made from ground up animal parts... but the feed had come from the UK. The farmers probably didn't know the disease could live that long. Once this idea surfaced, I'm fairly certain Canada ceased to use any feed from the UK whatsoever.

Besides, just because the diseased animal came from Canada (which, to my knowledge, has NOT been confirmed yet) doesn't mean that it got the disease here. You can't rule out the possibility it got the disease in the US. Also... didn't the first cow that got the disease in Canada come from the US, or was that just a rumour I'd heard?

edit: Quoted twice... whoops. XD

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    I'm not worried about this, anyone who is freaking out is just paranoid

Chances are extremely rare to get it.Besides, has any human got it yet?

Cherrim

Years
  • No. No human in North America has gotten the disease. There were some cases in the UK (and possibly Japan, but I'm not too sure on that one), but there haven't been any reported here yet.

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    Ever since that, my mum's not letting me eat beef at all @@;

Hmm.. Frostweaver's got a good point, but then again, how come not so many people get it? O.o;

*gets killed by Mad Cow Disease*

Cherrim

Years
  • People aren't getting the disease simply because the diseased animals were found before the meat went to packaging or whatever happens after the slaughter. (Yeesh.. it sounds really harsh. Well, it is... but still. x_X; )

The human symptoms are... I dunno. My computer is going all screwy and I can't seem to open more than one website at a time. Maybe this one will help, though. It's a FAQ on the human-form of mad cow disease:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/diseases/cjd/bg2.html

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Look at it this way people...

Compare how many people die from the "common cold" (a disease that we dont' do a thing about because it's 'weak') every year to the amount of people who died from "Mad Cow Disease" (a disease that is vital and deadly, uncurable which means everyone should be prepared about). Look at the numbers now, and fix up some common sense... Either be paranoid to both of them, or drop the grudge for Mad Cow... Help out the beef industry by simply purchasing beef... it's a big help already.

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    I've heard that the chances getting it are about the same as being hit by a plane falling from the sky. =P I'm still eating it though... (once in a while...) ._.

Igglybuddy

OMG PENGUINS
    Years
  • Whoa, people get scared easy, don't they...look, it was ONE COW. And if you're still nervous, don't eat hamburger or sausages. Muscle tissue (steaks) is FINE. The preons that cause the disease are found in the brain, spinal cord and eyes of infected cows. I live in Alberta, which is where the Canadian mad cow scare happened...it was one cow here too. Look, our industry has suffered incredibly...you guys should support yours and continue to buy beef. And like I said, only buy steaks if you're concerned, but seriously. The reason why it was so bad in the UK was because they tried to cover it up, and people ate infected hamburger and things. It's really not worth worrying about.

Legendary Anime

Old Legendary Monster
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 25, 2004
    Miyu-chan said:
    I've heard that the chances getting it are about the same as being hit by a plane falling from the sky. =P I'm still eating it though... (once in a while...) ._.

LOL! Luckily I don't live near an airport. ^~

"In August, 2002 the first confirmed case of variant CJD was diagnosed in Canada. However, all the evidence indicates that, in this case, the individual was infected in the UK. There have been no subsequent cases of variant CJD in Canada." ~ From the FAQ Lightning provided

Ok, look there. First report in 2002. Yet they've been scanning people from the UK, etc. since the 1980's. Obviously it's not too bad...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Keleri said:
    Whoa, people get scared easy, don't they...look, it was ONE COW. And if you're still nervous, don't eat hamburger or sausages. Muscle tissue (steaks) is FINE. The preons that cause the disease are found in the brain, spinal cord and eyes of infected cows. I live in Alberta, which is where the Canadian mad cow scare happened...it was one cow here too. Look, our industry has suffered incredibly...you guys should support yours and continue to buy beef. And like I said, only buy steaks if you're concerned, but seriously. The reason why it was so bad in the UK was because they tried to cover it up, and people ate infected hamburger and things. It's really not worth worrying about.
    Yay! that makes 3 Albertians for PC ;P
    I'll laugh out loud so hard if it's Edmonton XD

Well... Edmonton is the capital of Alberta so obviously I'm eating beef from "infected zone". I'm perfectly fine still talking and breathing and my heart is breathing (i think). As I said before, you may have gotton Mad Cow disease already as it shows its symptoms up to 7 years later after the infection. So pretty much you're not helping anything at all if you stop eating beef now, unless you quitted eating beef ever since 1997 then I suppose you can keep up the "banning."

igtica

Mmmm....Cheesecake
    Years
  • lol this never made a difference to me being vegetarian, but here in the UK we've been there and done that. To be honest there's nothing to worry about for all you US carnivous types. Mad cows disease and foot and mouth has effected out cattle, but there was bearly any effects on humans, except the crisis of loss of cattle and revenue. Besides I'm sure it'll be controlled easily.

argh i just realised how formal this post was :P well thats what I get for going on PC and revising at the same time. :p soz about that.

Last edited:

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • Yeah, the UK had a BSE outbreak amongst cattle a while back. Absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

I think a handful of people were actually infected. I really can't remember.

Back